Vanagon Angel

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

bus71
Addicted!

Vanagon Angel

Post by bus71 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:04 am

Thank you again for stopping to check on us at the top of Connors pass Nevada, on 93 near Ely?. Had stopped to take pics and mainline
another quart. Was a rough trip, you restored my faith in the human race.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Vanagon Angel

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:03 pm

bus71 wrote:Thank you again for stopping to check on us at the top of Connors pass Nevada, on 93 near Ely?. Had stopped to take pics and mainline
another quart. Was a rough trip, you restored my faith in the human race.
Tell us more . . . :happy1:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

bus71
Addicted!

Post by bus71 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:48 am

Started out as a trip to take care of some family stuff. A typical pnw to desert sw trip. One thing after another, rocker arm problems,
rocker arm trouble? , smashed muffler on a rock, only rock for 100 yards. Broke antenna in some brush. Hey!, an old car antenna on the ground ........###$$^^&&*. Then came the leaky pushrod tube, 1 qt in 150 miles. Add the stress of family problem solving.
I needed an Angel.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:47 am

bus71 wrote:Started out as a trip to take care of some family stuff. A typical pnw to desert sw trip. One thing after another, rocker arm problems,
rocker arm trouble? , smashed muffler on a rock, only rock for 100 yards. Broke antenna in some brush. Hey!, an old car antenna on the ground ........###$$^^&&*. Then came the leaky pushrod tube, 1 qt in 150 miles. Add the stress of family problem solving.
I needed an Angel.
As a member of this tribe, you must give us a little feedback as to the improvisational skills you brought to bear on these minor annoyances.

What happened to the rocker arm? Loose adjustment nut? Loose rocker shaft with disappearing washer and nut? Did you effect a repair?

Hole in muffler? Blocked passage? Leaky joint? Any repair effected?

Leaky pushrod, did it take a hit from the muffler rock? Was there a lower tin under it? Did/can you find a telescoping repair pushrod tube so you don't have to disassemble the engine to repair it?

ColinThanksBeToAngels
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

bus71
Addicted!

Post by bus71 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:50 am

Rocker arm trouble was the oddest of the issues as this had never been a problem. Before leaving home, spring washers had
broken on 2 and 4. When I bashed the muffler, I loosened all the connections and put a small crack in it. Noise level went up and but I decided to live with it. It wasn't until Wickenburg that I noticed the horrible clatter over the music and exhaust. I pulled off and let it idle. Well, I thought, You blew it! However, The oil pressure was good on the gauge, temp was fine. The more I listened, the less it sounded like a rod. Then I remembered when the rocker arm came off in Nebraska years ago. Shut it off and let it cool.
I didn't find what I hoped. The clip, thrust washer, and spring washer on 2 exhaust valve were gone. The rocker had beaten the crap
out of the valve stem and spring cap when it came loose. I had never had this happen. I looked through my spares and found the pieces needed. We made to Phoenix where it soon came apart again. My son and I inspected the rocker arm assembly and could not
find anything wrong. Had a 40hp snuck in? Nope. We picked up 2 rocker arms at Blair and Son Auto Wrecking inn Phoenix .
We built a rocker arm from the two and there has been no trouble since. Was there a clogged oil passage? Tweaked shaft?
multiple bad spring washers and clips? These were all used parts. Everything wears out.