My Fourth Engine Build

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Re: My Fourth Engine Build

Post by ruckman101 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:05 pm

Idles now. Set the timing at zero statically, and it was right there with the timing light. Valves were fine. Took her for a spin up and down the road mostly in second, and backfires. Shifting fine, ran fine, brought her back and timing had slipped to almost 6 degrees before TDC or zero, brought her back to TDC. Might have a slight exhaust leak. Will go over it with the wrench before any more running. But so far so good.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:47 pm

ruckman101 wrote:Idles now. Set the timing at zero statically, and it was right there with the timing light. Valves were fine. Took her for a spin up and down the road mostly in second, and backfires. Shifting fine, ran fine, brought her back and timing had slipped to almost 6 degrees before TDC or zero, brought her back to TDC. Might have a slight exhaust leak. Will go over it with the wrench before any more running. But so far so good.

neal
Do I get to drive her later this summer . . . . . . pleeeeze? Pleeeeeze? Pleeeeeze?

( ) FINE! I didn't want to ANYWAY
( ) Thank-you!

Colin :blackeye:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:03 am

Amskeptic wrote:Do I get to drive her later this summer . . . . . . pleeeeze? Pleeeeeze? Pleeeeeze?

( ) FINE! I didn't want to ANYWAY
( X ) Thank-you!

Colin :blackeye:
But of course. No need to ask. A given.

neal

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:27 pm

Just an update. As I had to take the rebuilt transaxle back to the builder (still popping out of fourth), and I had 300 miles of break-in run time on the engine, I took the opportunity to re-torque the nuts on the head bolts. I went all out, removing fan, tin, intake manifold etc. to get to the top four on each side. The bolts on the cylinder one/two side took very little if not none at all, the three/four side was another story. All of them snugged up quite a bit. I probably got 60 degrees of rotation out of most of them. Glad I made the effort. Exhaust tightened a smidge, but otherwise things were good. Hopefully the transaxle will be ready Monday.

neal

Boxcar
Addicted!

Post by Boxcar » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:26 pm

hmmm hes making me envious, head retorquing...

good call there while you had it out! :-)
1975 003 Auto Westy L90D

repair!!!!aug2015
Jan/16 Bumped mixture a few notches richer. finally developing HP.

1.8L/LJet/Pertron DVDA+PertronixCompufire 42/36Ham Heads/AA 93mm pistons/barrels.Porsc.Swiv.Adjusters/CromoSteel pushrds/ Web 9550Cam/55cc chmbr.,035 squish,8.6:1CR/German Supply VWCanadaReman Rods/Schadek 26mmPump/vdo dualOP8/10#low sender/Quart Deep Sump
Backdate Htr bxs,reflanged 914 4into1. Two and three eighths inch collector,magniflow*muffler

hercdriver
Getting Hooked!

Post by hercdriver » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:21 pm

ruckman101 wrote:I took the opportunity to re-torque the nuts on the head bolts. All of them snugged up quite a bit. Exhaust tightened a smidge,
neal
Neal,

Do you think the backfire was from the exhaust or another source? I'm asking because I have an occasional backfire during deceleration that I'm trying to figure out.

Dave
66 Beetle
75 Westy

Remember that there is nothing stable in human affairs; therefore avoid undue elation in prosperity, or undue depression in adversity. -Socrates

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:52 pm

It's an occasional pop on decel. I think it's at the exhaust. The old engine did the same thing. I'm starting to think I might be running rich, and getting an incomplete burn that ignites in the exhaust. The popping ceases if I give it a touch of accelerator pedal during decel. Entirely speculation at this point. I did nothing with the carburetor beyond taking it off, wiping it clean and putting it back on. I have a friend with an oxygen sensor, EM3 or something that I would like to borrow and apply to the task of adjusting the carb. The engine does run cool, which also makes me suspect a rich mixture.

neal