Westy canvas tent - rainproof??

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Mr Blotto
IAC Addict!

Westy canvas tent - rainproof??

Post by Mr Blotto » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:42 am

So while camping this week, a bad storm rolled through, and I decided to close the poptop as I did not know how it would hold up against the rain. This is the canvas replacement tent from GoWesty (not sunbrella or hemp). I would think that the canvas would just soak up the water and that anything that touched it would wick up water.

Am I correct? Any use spraying some kind of waterproof treatment onto the canvas for next time?
1978 Sage Green Westy - 2.0 FI - SOLD WITH 109887 miles :-(

sped372
IAC Addict!

Re: Westy canvas tent - rainproof??

Post by sped372 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:53 am

We always shut it if we can, even just so we don't have to open it to dry it back out in case it doesn't get sunny again before we go home. I'm sure you could spray some waterproofing silicone or other on there, don't have any firsthand experience how it would work for our application, though.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:19 am

Yes the canvas will do just like you thought if not waterproofed. If you have an outdoor store near you they should carry a canvas waterproofing in aerosol form. I've got the Sunbrella top and have it sealed and don't have any leak problems. I would also suggest a product called Seam Grip to seal all of the stitched areas as well.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

Mr Blotto
IAC Addict!

Post by Mr Blotto » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:39 am

Thanks guys - good info here!

JLT
Old School!

Post by JLT » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:10 pm

Mr Blotto wrote:So while camping this week, a bad storm rolled through, and I decided to close the poptop as I did not know how it would hold up against the rain. This is the canvas replacement tent from GoWesty (not sunbrella or hemp). I would think that the canvas would just soak up the water and that anything that touched it would wick up water.
That's pretty much how true cotton canvas works: The fibers soak up water and swell, thereby sealing the fabric against further moisture intrusion. When it dries out, the fibers shrink, allowing air to pass through it again (the tent people call that "breathing"). If the storm was really bad, it's possible that the wind pressure would force the water through the mesh and "mist" the interior. And, yes, if anything touched the canvas on the inside, the water would wick through.
Any use spraying some kind of waterproof treatment onto the canvas for next time?
There are aftermarket things you can try. I wrote up something on waterproofing canvas for my old tentmaking web site, which can be found at:

http://midtown.net/dragonwing/waterproofing.htm

If you happen to be rolling through the Sacramento area, PM me. I still have some of that IOSSO stuff around, and I'll treat your canvas for free.
-- JLT
Sacramento CA

Present bus: '71 Dormobile Westie "George"
(sometimes towing a '65 Allstate single-wheel trailer)
Former buses: '61 17-window Deluxe "Pink Bus"
'70 Frankenwestie "Blunder Bus"
'71 Frankenwestie "Thunder Bus"

Mr Blotto
IAC Addict!

Post by Mr Blotto » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:23 pm

JLT wrote: If you happen to be rolling through the Sacramento area, PM me. I still have some of that IOSSO stuff around, and I'll treat your canvas for free.
If I happen to be rolling through the Sacramento area, I may never come back home! :cyclopsani: :cyclopsani:

Thanks for the offer.

JLT
Old School!

Post by JLT » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:21 pm

Mr Blotto wrote:
JLT wrote: If you happen to be rolling through the Sacramento area, PM me. I still have some of that IOSSO stuff around, and I'll treat your canvas for free.
If I happen to be rolling through the Sacramento area, I may never come back home!
I guess I should have mentioned that the "you" in "If you happen to..." was the plural "you." As in "y'all" (or, in the South, "all y'all"). It applies to anybody who happens to be rolling through Sacramento, even Chicagoans.
-- JLT
Sacramento CA

Present bus: '71 Dormobile Westie "George"
(sometimes towing a '65 Allstate single-wheel trailer)
Former buses: '61 17-window Deluxe "Pink Bus"
'70 Frankenwestie "Blunder Bus"
'71 Frankenwestie "Thunder Bus"

Boesen
I'm New!

Post by Boesen » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:49 am

I always hated having to come back home and pop the top to dry the wet canvas out. Especially if its still raining a couple days after. I bought a Wasser Stopper from Gowesty. Even though it says made for a Vanagon, it fit my 79 Westfalia with no problems. Easy install and removal, and stay dry. Sat thru some heavy rain storms since I've had it. Canvas stayed dry an so did we.

I don't know how to post pics yet here on IAC, so here is my album on TS. Browse thru it and I have some photos of my Westy with it on, along with views of it when installed on the inside.
http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1094946.jpg
http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/956247.jpg

I can email you any more pics if you would like some of the view from the inside with it installed if you'd like. Otherwise once I figure the "how-to's" for photos I'll put them up here.
1979 VW Westfalia Deluxe (Federal)
A.K.A.: OPA

Mr Blotto
IAC Addict!

Post by Mr Blotto » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:03 am

Boesen wrote:I always hated having to come back home and pop the top to dry the wet canvas out. Especially if its still raining a couple days after. I bought a Wasser Stopper from Gowesty. Even though it says made for a Vanagon, it fit my 79 Westfalia with no problems. Easy install and removal, and stay dry. Sat thru some heavy rain storms since I've had it. Canvas stayed dry an so did we.

I don't know how to post pics yet here on IAC, so here is my album on TS. Browse thru it and I have some photos of my Westy with it on, along with views of it when installed on the inside.

I can email you any more pics if you would like some of the view from the inside with it installed if you'd like. Otherwise once I figure the "how-to's" for photos I'll put them up here.

Thanks - that would be great. That thing looks great.

Boesen
I'm New!

Post by Boesen » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:16 pm

Mr Blotto wrote:
Boesen wrote:I always hated having to come back home and pop the top to dry the wet canvas out. Especially if its still raining a couple days after. I bought a Wasser Stopper from Gowesty. Even though it says made for a Vanagon, it fit my 79 Westfalia with no problems. Easy install and removal, and stay dry. Sat thru some heavy rain storms since I've had it. Canvas stayed dry an so did we.

Thanks - that would be great. That thing looks great.
I see you are near Chicago. I'm live over here in the Quad Cities. My wife and I will be up near Dixon IL at Gardenstock this weekend. There is a Bus camping area. Just a thought for you and your family. Check out online.

The Wasser stopper has been a blessing in some heavy downpours. Never wet inside or anywhere. Yes expensive no doubt but worth it. Was easier than a custom made rain fly we were gonna make.
1979 VW Westfalia Deluxe (Federal)
A.K.A.: OPA