Looking for a late bay

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

aarondonne
I'm New!

Looking for a late bay

Post by aarondonne » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:18 pm

Howdy,

My buddy dhoch14 aka Dave sent me here. My wife and I are looking to buy a late bay camper (automatic only). It'll be our first VW, and we're hopin to join the fam in-time for summer, so we're only considering ones in great to excellent condition (interior cosmetic stuff is fine). I've been scouring the samba and craigslist but haven't found what we're looking for, so I thought I'd see if this group has any leads or other recommendations for other places to look...but I imagine the name of the game is just keeping my eyes peeled.

Thanks!

Aaron

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Re: Looking for a late bay

Post by ruckman101 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:41 pm

Welcome aarondonne, but alas, I am no help in your quest. Good luck.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:09 pm

Having your location (city, state) listed in your profile would help as I help locals out but don't brother with out of state as its usually a waste of time. That said there was 3 nice Westy's for sale I think at the Seattle Spring VW meet this weekend and so we missed that. Lots of folks don't partake of the online stuff so you have to look around hard.
What are you looking to pay?
With engine rebuilds looking to cost $4000 and up I would consider that a big plus or minus.
Painting the exterior costs about the same...without rust repairs $$$$
Nice stock interiors are getting harder to find too...
Why automatic? You can't drive a stick or is it a physical impairment? I am not fond of the VW automatics...
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:49 pm

Automatics are pretty rare, and Westy autos are even rarer..... if you are stuck on an auto, you might want to find an auto transporter, and then retrofit a camper interior. However, I've read the autos are decent "performers."

I would also keep an eye on ebay too. Like someone else said, post a location....if you find a bus that is local to one of us, and not so local to you, I'm sure you can get a volunteer to look at it for you.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

Kubelwagen
Addicted!

Post by Kubelwagen » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:00 pm

Speaking of compromises, there's more Vanagons available with automatics it seems. You do lose some of the charm of the bay. But they may be more plentiful. They seem to go down the road fine per those who have them.
Patience the 81 Adventurewagen

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:01 pm

Booyah!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1973-Vol ... 1c3202809d

If the engine was rebuilt correctly, that is a very solid bus for the price.... one nice thing is that when you DO find an auto, they are typically cheaper than std shift.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:21 pm

Just noticed this..."NO TITLE, JUST BILL OF SALE."

Some states won't issue titles for cars that are over 20 years old. If you find yourself in a situation like this, just be sure you get the registration with the owner's name on it. I ran into this once...was very fortunate - i bought on old caddy out of state and they had to mail the registration to me, which they did.

Happy Hunting. :)
1976 VW Bus aka tripod

Kubelwagen
Addicted!

Post by Kubelwagen » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:55 pm

Patience the 81 Adventurewagen

bajaman72
Addicted!

Post by bajaman72 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:01 pm

Kubelwagen wrote:For a real rarity: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volkswag ... 500wt_1182
I LOVE the blue plaid in this one.

The first one is NICE (for an auto)
1968 Karmann Ghia - Driver
1969 Transporter - Project
1959 Karmann Ghia - Full Race Car

aarondonne
I'm New!

Post by aarondonne » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:04 pm

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and leads...this is great.

Here's some more info: we live in Seattle, but see ourselves back in OR at some point. I'm ok with searching within a thousand miles or so if needed...I could use some time on the road. We're willing to pay up to 16K, looking for something as reliable/restored as possible. My wife doesn't know how to drive a stick, but after talking to her today she's game for learning in order to make finding a late bay more possible.

Sad to hear that we just missed a Seattle show - any others this spring or summer in the NW?

Aaron

bajaman72
Addicted!

Post by bajaman72 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:07 pm

Welcome Aaron,
Lucky guy has a wife WILLING to learn to drive a stick. Mine refuses to learn :(
1968 Karmann Ghia - Driver
1969 Transporter - Project
1959 Karmann Ghia - Full Race Car

aarondonne
I'm New!

Post by aarondonne » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:21 pm

Thanks bajaman. it took me a while to even convince her into the idea of a bus - so I changed my strategy and we rented a '79 for a week in SoCal and ever since then there's been no need to convince her about anything :sunny:
Attachments
westy.jpg

Xelmon
Sedna of VW lovers

Post by Xelmon » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:35 am

Ah, lovely family you guys make! And of course, welcome to the forum!

Ahhh, ok, cash is good, and that much will definitely get you a good ride.

That said, hop onto the Portland CL once in a while, all I've been seeing are steaming piles of... Crap?

*As he is browsing, he find this*

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/3752631162.html

Also, are you the one throwing up the "Looking for bus, up to 15K"?

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:55 am

Welcome Aaron. When you say late bay I'm assuming you mean '77-'79? Where the interior cabinets are all against the drivers side like this?

Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

aarondonne
I'm New!

Post by aarondonne » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:40 am

Xelmon: no...I'm not the one posting that on CL. This is firs time I've thrown out our 'wanted' intention into cyberspace.

That's a beautiful '70 for sale. Are there any maintenance/reliability/functionality considerations with that year vs. a late bay? As a first time bus owner looking to put some mileage on a bus with a young family inside I've been steered by others to late bays, but I don't know enough myself to own that decision...so I'd love to hear any perspectives on that.

Westy78: exactly. that's a nice shot.