Tracking down '72-'74 exhaust conversion parts.

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

yondermtn
Old School!

Tracking down '72-'74 exhaust conversion parts.

Post by yondermtn » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:58 am

I've always felt that my exhaust is noisy. The parts all seem to be in decent shape but there are some missing parts(exchanger to flapper tube, fan shroud flaps/gaskets, and a bracket). I have an aftermarket muffler and no crossover pipe.
I have acquired a second set of 75-78 exchangers and j-pipes which are in similar condition to what I have now.

I am thinking that in the long run I might be best off converting to the '72-74 style.

How difficult is it to find the parts for the conversion? I think I have a good list of all the parts needed, but I am having trouble finding sources for them and before I start buying the pieces that I have found I thought I'd ask for advice on my plan to convert and which conversion pieces are the most difficult to find.

Thanks!
1977 Westy 2.0FI
1990 Vanagon MV 2.1 Auto

poptop tom
Old School!

Re: Tracking down '72-'74 exhaust conversion parts.

Post by poptop tom » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:08 pm

I had a hell of a time finding everything a few years back. It won't happen overnight! :pale:

German Supply for this. The Bus Co for that. Busted Bus for the other. And samba (I mean IAC) classifieds "want" ads.

I would start buying the pieces you've found. They will all be in your possession in a matter of time.
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"

yondermtn
Old School!

Post by yondermtn » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:30 pm

I think I will probably just start buying. I'm not desperate to swap as what I have does work.
The exchangers seem fairly easy to come across.

What is the most elusive part I should be on the lookout for?
1977 Westy 2.0FI
1990 Vanagon MV 2.1 Auto

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:31 pm

Off the top of my head --
Exchangers
Lower bottom & forward cylinder tins
alternator bracket
both exchanger-to-heater-valve pipes
passenger side pipe to the booster fan

I've got all the pieces because I was running that setup in my '75, plus I know I've got "extra" exchangere (L and R), lower-bottom tins and alternator bracket. I might have "extra" of the other pieces but I'll have to dig deeper in the garage to make sure.

It's just taking up space...
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

yondermtn
Old School!

Post by yondermtn » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:44 am

Perfect! When you get a chance to look through your stuff let me know what you have and I'll gladly take it off your hands.
1977 Westy 2.0FI
1990 Vanagon MV 2.1 Auto

germansupplyscott
Trusted Air-Cooled Parts Vendor

Post by germansupplyscott » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:33 am

yondermtn wrote: What is the most elusive part I should be on the lookout for?
that's easy, it's the hot air pipe on the right side. the one for the booster fan that pokes up through the top engine cover plate. second-most difficult is the left bottom tin that hides the pushrod tubes. we have bits and pieces always, they come and go fast. we make the two brackets that you need.

VW Bus-Centric Online Parts Source

chachi
Old School!

Post by chachi » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:12 am

1974 transporter panel, 2.0 dual solex
1991 vanagon NAHT, RJE 2.3

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Wed May 08, 2013 3:02 pm

Colin and I just rebuilt my '78 exhaust system. Brazed up as couple of holes, squared up the flange surfaces with a sander and grinder, new gaskets and bolts, copper nuts, red RTV, and the system is quite workable. Not good as new, but darn close functionally. I expect to get a number of years out of this rebuild. And, it is stock.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu May 09, 2013 11:29 am

Jivermo wrote:Colin and I just rebuilt my '78 exhaust system. Brazed up as couple of holes, squared up the flange surfaces with a sander and grinder, new gaskets and bolts, copper nuts, red RTV, and the system is quite workable. Not good as new, but darn close functionally. I expect to get a number of years out of this rebuild. And, it is stock.
Next visit, we will paint the whole thing for longevity's sake. I am going to repaint the BobD's next time I find myself in Texas with a few days to spare and a few gallons of extra blood in my veins that need to be removed one mosquito at a time.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles