Dual carb tuning tool!!!

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Adventurewagen
IAC Addict!

Dual carb tuning tool!!!

Post by Adventurewagen » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:07 am

I've got dual weber IDF's on my 71 which means I've got 4 seperate barrels or carbs if you will that I need to tune. I've had them for a couple years and have put around 12k on them. Sometimes running great, others not so good. I'm constanty trying to get better at tuning them which seems to turn into more hours under the hatch syncing and trying to get the flow right on each over the rpm's.

I've been using one of these for a while:

But found out quickly I max it out when I hit around 3400 rpm, so it's no good to tune the ultimate High rpm.

I've also used this type:

I think I like it better because you can adjust how much air will get through and then run it full out on the rpms, but the little ball is not an exact science to get each tuned up properly.

So I've been looking for something better and my buddy may have found it. He's actually got one and I'm going to go over and use it once i get my engine back in. you can hook up all 4 at the same time and thinking about it I should be able to make them "pop" essentially in sync like a syntheziser thing as I rev the engine. The webers have 4 vac ports on each barrel and I imagine they'll fit no problem.

Anyone ever used one of these?

63 Gulf Blue Notch
71 Sierra Yellow Adventurewagen
DjEep wrote:Velo? Are you being "over-run"? Do you need to swim through a sea of Mexican anchor-babies to get to your bus in the morning?
:wav:

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:18 am

I drooled over a similar tool in my Z days. It was pretty darn expensive though. So all I got was drool on my shirt.

=P~

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:25 am

Wow. I use the pinball Uni-Syn on my puny little Solexes, worked good on my 911 way back when. But this thing looks intriguing.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Adventurewagen
IAC Addict!

Post by Adventurewagen » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:38 am

The tool is just under 100 bucks new. Since my buddy has one I'll probably use his, but this thing looks like the real deal.

I wonder why I haven't seen it before? It looks like you can hook it up to all 4 carbs and then work 1/2 and 3/4 getting them even, then hook up the linkage and tweak stuff till all four just jump in unison perfectly over the entire rpm band!

I'll take pictures when I use it and let you all know how it goes. Even having it for single barrel dual carbs would be really nice I bet.
63 Gulf Blue Notch
DjEep wrote:Velo? Are you being "over-run"? Do you need to swim through a sea of Mexican anchor-babies to get to your bus in the morning?

tedebare
I'm New!

Post by tedebare » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:00 pm

This syncronizer is used mainly for motorcycles. I have been using one for a couple of years to sync my Kadrons and it works wonderfully. I can sync my carbs, accurately, in about 10 min..

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:30 am

Comon now, let's go,,, figure it all out, what's best......I'm going to be needing to tune dual carbs for the first time here in a month or so... 8-[

Adventurewagen
IAC Addict!

Post by Adventurewagen » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:05 am

steve74baywin wrote:Comon now, let's go,,, figure it all out, what's best......I'm going to be needing to tune dual carbs for the first time here in a month or so... 8-[
Will do Steve. What sorta carbs are you putting on? What type engine and what linkage are you getting?
63 Gulf Blue Notch

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:06 am

steve74baywin wrote:Comon now, let's go,,, figure it all out, what's best......I'm going to be needing to tune dual carbs for the first time here in a month or so... 8-[
For you, I suggest the pinball Uni-Syn. It is simple and intuitive.
. . . . I'll be in Florida in late October if you need a hand =D>
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:58 am

Adventurewagen, I'm putting back the originals Solex 34 PDSIT 2/3.

Colin, I hope to have it done by then, but we will see. Once it is done Jill's Squareback gets that spot in the carpot.
That is good to know that you will be in FL in October. I'm about ready to split the case and see what damage my running out of oil did.