Good Luck Had, Now With Photos!!

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Good Luck Had, Now With Photos!!

Post by vwlover77 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:49 pm

I know many of you are road warriors, but in the 7 (!) years I've owned my '78 Westy, I've never driven it more than 150 miles from home.

This Friday will double that as 3 of us are piling in the Bus and driving to Cave Run Lake in Kentucky for a camping weekend with a friend who lives in Lexington. There's a few more long grades than I've driven before on this route, and the Bus will be pretty heavily loaded with guys, gear, and beer!

I think the Bus is up for it, but send some good air-cooled karma my way, just in case!
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

mentalQtip
Addicted!

Re: Wish Me Luck....

Post by mentalQtip » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:33 pm

Oh, man! I know that felling of trepidation at the thought of taking off for a trip with a load and heading uphill.
I've personally always(always) spent some time on the side of the road fixing something. In fact my wife says," It's not a road trip; it's a side of the road trip."
Best of luck and make some memories that will help keep you warm in the coming winter

Joseph

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:23 am

Good luck and have a great trip! All will be well! You've been too kind to that bus. Hop in and drive with no worries. You AND the bus will be happy you did! :flower:
If I can maiden voyage to Florida, you can roll to Kentucky without a hitch.
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:25 am

vwlover77 wrote:This Friday will double that as 3 of us are piling in the Bus and driving to Cave Run Lake in Kentucky for a camping weekend with a friend who lives in Lexington. There's a few more long grades than I've driven before on this route, and the Bus will be pretty heavily loaded with guys, gear, and beer!
Ah Kentucky! I miss it. Have a good time, enjoy the Bus, and take some pictures.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:26 am

mentalQtip wrote:.
I've personally always(always) spent some time on the side of the road fixing something. In fact my wife says," It's not a road trip; it's a side of the road trip."

Joseph
Now that's funny! :cheers:
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"

luftvagon
Old School!

Post by luftvagon » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:29 am

May the road gods grant you safe passage, safe return, and mechanically safe and sound voyage.
1981 Volkswagen Vanagon Westfalia - air-cooled Type4 1970cc CV (hydraulic lifters, 42x36 valves, stock cam, microSquirt FI with wasted spark ignition)
1993 Ford F-250 XL LWB Extended Cab 7.3L IDI

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:47 pm

Thanks for the good thoughts, everyone! The Bus ran flawlessly and we had a great trip!
Don

78 Westy

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

luftvagon
Old School!

Re: Good Luck Had!

Post by luftvagon » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:38 pm

..and I thought only Colin dared to venture past the city limits. :) good job!
1981 Volkswagen Vanagon Westfalia - air-cooled Type4 1970cc CV (hydraulic lifters, 42x36 valves, stock cam, microSquirt FI with wasted spark ignition)
1993 Ford F-250 XL LWB Extended Cab 7.3L IDI

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:58 pm

luftvagon wrote:..and I thought only Colin dared to venture past the city limits. :) good job!

Happily out of the northeast corridor, in fact, barrelling towards Atlanta at a lickety-split 62 mph.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:23 am

Here's a few photos from the weekend!

Don

78 Westy

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:26 am

That foursome looks like trouble!

Glad the roadtrip was great, and looks like you
all had a blast!

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:34 am

poptop tom wrote:That foursome looks like trouble!

Glad the roadtrip was great, and looks like you
all had a blast!
They all can't have been trouble, I see only two beers and no police in the pictures.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.