Bus starts, but will not run after fuel line replacement

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

bajaman72
Addicted!

Re: Bus starts, but will not run after fuel line replacement

Post by bajaman72 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:29 pm

aopisa wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
aopisa wrote:I am double opting this on The Samba as well as I am trying to find a hopefully quick solution.

Well, I had a feeling that this would happen.

After replacing the fuel lines which was not an easy task of me, I can get the bus to turn over and start, but will not run unless I have my foot heavy on the gas. As soon as I let up, it dies instantly.

Where should I start looking to see what I missed, bumped, disconnected? I had a heck of a time getting the number 1 & 2 injectors back in. I may have switched the 1 & 2 injectors as I was so exhausted I forgot to pay attention to which one was which. That shouldn't make a difference, should it?
Don't worry about switching injectors. Did you pinch off fuel lines and forget to remove the clamp?
Colin
That would be like me, but no. I kept an unused clamp in plain sight to remind me to remove the one I had on the line.

I finally got it running roughly enough to get around to the back. RPMs were on the verge of stalling. Timing looks advanced. I turned the air mixture screw in an attempt to just keep it going enough to work on it. About 1/2 turn clockwise smoothed it out a little and brought the RPMs up to 700. is this compensating for an unseen intake leak somewhere?

I don't want to introduce any more variables until I know how to proceed from here logically.

Did you put this back where it was?
1968 Karmann Ghia - Driver
1969 Transporter - Project
1959 Karmann Ghia - Full Race Car

aopisa
Addicted!

Post by aopisa » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:26 am

I'm not sure. I sort of lost track with all the problems I was creating. Instead, I started with Colin's AFM procedure. I turned the screw all the way in (it went 6 turns) and then backed it out to the mid-point 4 1/2 turns.

I am traveling now, not in my bus :(. I won't get a chance to do anything to it for over a week. Colin will be coming by in early September and I hope he will help me get everything dialed in then.
1977 Westy 2.0L F.I.

Flow with whatever may happen and let your mind be free. Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate. - Chuang Tzu

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:04 am

aopisa wrote:I'm not sure.
Colin will be coming by in early September and I hope he will help me get everything dialed in then.
You shall be flogged with another piece of paper and a pen until your "morale" improves . . .
Il Commandante
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles