Dead speedo

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Kubelwagen
Addicted!

Dead speedo

Post by Kubelwagen » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:22 am

So, in addition to some other issues apparently resolved, my speedometer died on the way to Maupin. I have confirmed that both ends are firmly attached so I'm figuring it actually broke in the middle someplace. Anything I should try before sourcing a new one?

Mike
Patience the 81 Adventurewagen

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Re: Dead speedo

Post by SlowLane » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:16 am

Speedometer failed or odometer failed? If odometer, it's most likely that the odometer gear has split. Odometer Gears http://www.odometergears.com/products/V ... dometer/19 makes (comparatively) inexpensive replacements.

If speedometer, make sure the square end of the cable hasn't slipped out of its square hole in the wheel hub bearing cap.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:17 am

You don' need no steenking speedo....enjoy the freedom of shedding yourself of limits...

Or

there may be a repair process that will likely tearing it all down to the gears and replacing the cog with broken teeth.

First, have you confirmed that the speedo end is turning when the wheel turns? maybe the cable snapped in the sheath. grab the shaft on the speedo end and see it it turns freely. (Wow, did I just type that?)
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

Kubelwagen
Addicted!

Post by Kubelwagen » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:15 pm

Odometer hasn't worked while I have owned the bus. I'd fix that if I come across a working on to swap in, but don't care too much. I will check if the cable spins, hadn't really considered the gauge itself might have failed.

Thanks. M

Kubelwagen
Addicted!

Post by Kubelwagen » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:21 pm

Had a chance to (briefly) poke at it over lunch. I can manually spin the knob on the back of the gauge and the needle moves. The cable doesn't turn freely. Later when I have more time I'll check and see if the cable spins while the wheel in turning.

GoWesty sure is proud of their rebuilt ones aren't they!

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:07 pm

If the needle moves when you spin that, the speedo is good. If the cable spins at all when the wheel's on the ground, it's shot.

Get a new cable.
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

Kubelwagen
Addicted!

Post by Kubelwagen » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:30 pm

Dang cable is stuck, stuck, stuck, in the wheel. Bentley says:

"Remove circlip" - check
"Remove cable from rubber sleeve on steering knuckle" That baby don't move. I'm going to leave it in place till I have the new cable in hand, which is looking like Bus Depot as Halsey claims the part can't be had from them for love or money.

M

drober23
Addicted!

Post by drober23 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:25 am

Sounds like a plan. Don't want anything tore up until you have the parts to fix it handy. The one time I pulled a speedo cable out it wasn't so bad though ('68 bus). Wonder where yours is catching.

Speaking of bad speedos and/or cables... Do the cables start to make noise when they go bad? My '75 has a mystery noise in my front end and I am having trouble figuring out where it comes from. Almost sounds like a cable slapping around under the bus, but when I look I don't see anything.

My speedometer still works though (at its customary 5 - 10% faster than actual speed).
DJ

'75 Westfalia, '79 Deluxe
(plus more busses than sense)

In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey