Battery

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Mike Boell
Old School!

Battery

Post by Mike Boell » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:20 pm

I believe it's time for a new starting battery and wondered what you all recommend?
This is a 1975 stock Fuel Injected 1.8 L engine.
If it makes any difference, I have recently added a solar panel and after my aux. battery is charged it will send up to 2 amps over to the starting battery.
Thanks
Mike
Mike Boell
1975 FI Westy
Oregon City

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN THEY'RE PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Re: Battery

Post by Westy78 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:15 pm

I've had no problems with my Optima red top. Not cheap but you don't have to worry about it leaking acid in the battery tray. Keep in mind though that our dated alternators don't quite have the output to put a full charge into some batteries so I always plug mine into a battery tender when I park it.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

Mike Boell
Old School!

Post by Mike Boell » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:46 pm

I was leaning towards the Optima.
After not wanting to start there awhile back in the snow I've had a couple other slow starts.
I was going to stop tonight at ABE electric on 212.
Are you using an Optima for your aux. battery also? I am due for a new battery there as well.
Mike
Mike Boell
1975 FI Westy
Oregon City

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN THEY'RE PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:04 pm

I'm not actually running an auxiliary batttery. I don't use my fridge on battery and figured it was just added weight and blocking cooling air. Everything else runs off the starter battery in stock configuration. I do always carry a little jumper battery unit fully charged just in case.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

Mike Boell
Old School!

Post by Mike Boell » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:05 pm

So I stopped at ABE electric on my way home and asked to have my battery tested.
This very nice Hispanic man comes out, runs the test, and in broken English says, "Your battery isn't bad, (then he pauses and says) it's really bad.
So much for my Maupin beverage fund. I am now sporting an Optima Red Top. :thumbright:
1000 CA
800 CCA
$171.00 :cyclopsani:
Mike Boell
1975 FI Westy
Oregon City

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:32 pm

In my '76 westy, I'm using this battery (M27MF) as my auxillary.
http://www.acdelco.com/pdf/resource-lib ... 20Info.pdf

And for my starting battery, this:
http://www.dekabatteries.com/assets/base/1737.pdf

Both have worked flawlessy thus far.
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:14 pm

You guys and your fancy batteries. I have a bunch of d-cells duct-taped together. And a potato. And a goldfish in a bowl swimming in maaaad circles.

Autozone is the best bet for non-fancy batteries according to my research. Made in Mexico.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Mike Boell
Old School!

Post by Mike Boell » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:32 pm

hambone wrote:I have a bunch of d-cells duct-taped together. And a potato. And a goldfish in a bowl swimming in maaaad circles.
Hammy,
Then I'd need to carry fish food with me?

Poptop Tom,
Do you recall what the ACDelco battery ran you?

Mike
Mike Boell
1975 FI Westy
Oregon City

bajaman72
Addicted!

Post by bajaman72 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:32 pm

hambone wrote:You guys and your fancy batteries. I have a bunch of d-cells duct-taped together. And a potato. And a goldfish in a bowl swimming in maaaad circles.

Autozone is the best bet for non-fancy batteries according to my research. Made in Mexico.

Even Autozone is too much for my blood :drunken: I have a $25 Recycled Battery that is dedicated to my Bus.. But since it doesn't run I use it to test lights,fuel pumps etc... :geek:

PS:(edit) It also does double duty to jump start my ailing baja battery(another $25 Recycled Job that's lasted 5 or 6 (?) years)
1968 Karmann Ghia - Driver
1969 Transporter - Project
1959 Karmann Ghia - Full Race Car

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:04 am

Mike,

I bought it last year (Feb, '11) and paid $86.33. List price was $133.25. Bought it at my local ACDelco
FLAPS that I have an account at for my employer.
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:31 pm

My Duralast was a few years old when I bought the bus back in '04. It was still going strong last fall when I parked it for engine overhaul.
Can't complain about that.

Its probably dead now - sitting all winter outside probably killed it.

anotherbluebus
Getting Hooked!

Post by anotherbluebus » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:57 am

bajaman72 wrote:Even Autozone is too much for my blood :drunken: I have a $25 Recycled Battery that is dedicated to my Bus.. )
I've had good and not good luck with recycled batteries. I have purchased them a the "Pick N Pull" yards. I look for better known brands with recent dates. If I don't find the little punch out thing with the purchase date, then I keep looking. They usually have several to choose from. First week of cold weather and their supply gets rapidly depleted. If you do buy one, have it tested immediately. PnP has a 30 day return that I've used on dud batteries with full charges but low cranking amps. For a short term fix, or in true Muir "low on bread" situations, it's a good thing to know about.

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:28 pm

anotherbluebus wrote:...For a short term fix, or in true Muir "low on bread" situations, it's a good thing to know about.
Any port in a storm.
I'll bet my new Duralast won't last like the last one even though prices have gone up. Just a feeling.
(Funny how this is the first big economic depression in American history with inflation.)