Hi! I'm DJ and I'm a Bus-a-holic

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

drober23
Addicted!

Hi! I'm DJ and I'm a Bus-a-holic

Post by drober23 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:24 am

I've been lurking a little, but just recently registered. Had busses for 20-some years now. I know a lot of stuff about them, but am not particularly skilled. And since I have moved into the country where I have some space, I have been collecting more busses than I know what to do with. It's time to get the ones I want running well and in good shape mechanically and stop gathering new ones.

My current "driver" is a '75 Westfalia poptop. Some PO decided it would be cool to paint it in truck bed liner, probably to hide a million sins of rust and body work. Then the last PO decided it would be better to strip it off. He stripped about 2 square feet of it off before he decided that that was too much work. I have rolled with it this way. Painted it blue, and put aggressive looking tires (proper size and rating) on it to complete the rugged look. Solid engine and transmission. Runs well, and stops well, although the brakes do need to be gone over.

The "next in line" bus is a '79 deluxe. This one is in good condition to roll, once I get the engine back into it. The engine is out, but has a recent top-end rebuild done (by me, so we'll see how I did later). Should give me some good service before I have to get after it again. Transmission is solid as well. The bus has a sunroof, BA6 heater, and air conditioning... none of which work. But it is in pretty good shape, and has original Orange and creme (white?) paint and the cool striping. My plan for this is to keep as much of the original paint as I can and slowly work on all the goodies. My 7-year old has already informed that that this is "his bus" for when he learns to drive some day. I would love to be able to make that happen for him.

Two of my other busses are on the list for work after the '79. There is a '76 automatic Westfalia Deluxe (my wife says she would drive an auto). The body is in much better shape than the '75, Westfalia, and it may end up replacing the '75 (and getting the "good" engine and transmission combo) in the next few years. It has no engine, and the transmission is unknown, so there is a lot of work ahead before that were to happen. There is also a '68 Single Cab pickup that is very rusty. It is complete, and was just too cool to pass up though. I definitely want to fix this (eventually), but it's not going to happen any time soon.

The rest are either parts busses, or busses to flip. I have a '79 bus I picked up cheap last summer. It is original paint, and generally unmolested. Body is pretty good by Michigan standards, but needs some work. It also need most of the window seals changed out. This bus will be prepped for sale once I get it running and stopping safely (next year?). There is a second '76 automatic Westfalia that may be a parts bus, or may eventually get fixed. There is a '78 Westfalia (no motor or trans atm) that is almost certainly destined to be a parts bus. And there is a '74 Westfalia shell that I am not sure what I will ever do with.

So you see, more busses than sense it appears. My wife has been understanding most of the time. I think she has developed an addiction to blue/green '75 Westfalia plaid as she has started buying clothes in that color scheme. The goal this year is to maintain the '75, and get the '79 Deluxe running. The rest have to wait there turn.

I've enjoyed Colin's wisdom and drawings in other forums, and like what I have seen here so far. Hopefully I can get some info here, and maybe help a little too eventually.

DJ (not that DJ) Roberts
DJ

'75 Westfalia, '79 Deluxe
(plus more busses than sense)

In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Re: Hi! I'm DJ and I'm a Bus-a-holic

Post by dtrumbo » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:42 am

Holy-moly! Your wife is VERY patient with your addiction! I've been cutoff at three and she even suggested we sell one of those just last week (THE HORROR!!!). I'm impressed with your ability to prioritize. I can barely stand it knowing on any given day all of my "kids" need something and figuring out which one gets what first is always a struggle for me.

Love the pic of the fam! For me, that's what it's all about. Get out there and enjoy the journey, no matter where it may take you!

A very hearty welcome!
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:50 am

Hey DJ welcome to the site! I dig the portable grill you have and the Westy! I will be the one asking for more pictures. BTW do you have some of your other Busses?
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:11 am

drober23 wrote: I have been collecting more busses than I know what to do with. It's time to get (all of them) running well
I'm with you on that.
Colin :compress:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:55 am

Yihaa ! another '75 poptop painted blue to hide the rust ! welcome to the club
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

yondermtn
Old School!

Post by yondermtn » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:23 pm

Welcome!
What part of Michigan are you in?

I bought my '77 Westfalia from Rochester, MI.
1977 Westy 2.0FI
1990 Vanagon MV 2.1 Auto

drober23
Addicted!

Post by drober23 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:29 pm

Ok, first I am in Carleton, MI (10 miles south of Detroit Metro Airport). Here is a picture of the bus in the driveway.

Colin: Not gonna try to get them all going at once. One (maybe 2) at a time is enough for me. You can see there will be no shortage of things to work on when you visit though!

Sylvester - these are for you (sorry if I am killing everyone's browser. If you would prefer, I could post a link to an external site for these)

Another view of the '75 Westfalia

The '79 Deluxe with the non-functional goodies

The '76 Automatic with the pretty good body (but no windows)

The rusty '68 Single Cab

The '79 Deluxe to be flipped (no real goodies)

The B-Lot ('79 Deluxe 2, '76 Automatic 2, '74 Westfalia Shell)

Sir Not Appearing in this Post
The '78 Westfalia probably parts bus. (It is next to the '74, and I was too lazy to find a way to get a picture. It is sage Green like the '76 though)
DJ

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:59 pm

Hi DJ, I'm Dj! Welcome! That's quite the stable. Lotsa hard work and good times ahead!
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:22 pm

Hi there neighbor and welcome from a fellow Troll! (i'm assuming you get the UP humor since you are a fellow Michiganian...or i is that Michigander?) cheers,
Mike
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:12 am

drober23 wrote: Not gonna try to get them all going at once. One (maybe 2) at a time is enough for me. You can see there will be no shortage of things to work on when you visit though!
Two at a time, exactly.
April-June MWF pick two. TThSa another two. Sundays, work on the daily driver.

July-Sept MWF pick two others still. TThSa another two yet. Sundays, work on the daily driver.

October til snow I'll let you work on just one.

Snow through March - all inside work. Overhaul the engines in the dining room. Use the kid's bathtub for hosing down tins and transaxles. Upholstery in the master bedroom.
Cure all exhaust components in the kitchen . . . after you disconnect the smoke detectors.

Anything else I can help you with logistically? Just let me know.
Colin :alien:

drober23
Addicted!

Post by drober23 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:39 pm

Colin,

I can't argue with that logic! However, I have tried some of the things on your list. My wife drew the line when I boiled a carb in one of the kitchen pots. She's still bitter about that one (almost 20 years later). I have to tread lightly.

Although, since she developed that addiction to the blue/green plaid, I have been able to get a little more by without grief. The '75 Westfalia is the first bus she has really enjoyed. We have camped in it several times now, where before her idea of camping involved a hotel.

Ooh, the bus gets to get a workout this week.

My father-in-law bought a used recumbent "step-exercise" machine (NuStep). It won't fit in his mini-van, so the bus it is. It is 60" x 30" (wide) x 43" (tall), and weighs about 200 pounds. No problem if I pop the rear seat (Westfalia bed) out.

Only about 150 miles each way. Good times.
DJ

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:34 pm

drober23 wrote:The '79 Deluxe to be flipped (no real goodies)
Woohoo pictures! And a Champagne Edition! I have a soft spot for those Busses. I almost bought one before Sam, if it had started that day in the barn, but it was not karma to be.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

drober23
Addicted!

Post by drober23 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:42 am

Sylvester,

I don't think it is a Champagne. No brown dash/steering wheel. No clock (and no evidence of a clock being hacked out). Did they make that color combination in a Deluxe, but not CE?
DJ

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:34 am

drober23 wrote:Sylvester,

I don't think it is a Champagne. No brown dash/steering wheel. No clock (and no evidence of a clock being hacked out). Did they make that color combination in a Deluxe, but not CE?

That is a Deluxe color scheme. Champagne's had chrome bumpers and grotesquely color-coordinated dash and steering wheel.
Colin

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:51 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
drober23 wrote:Sylvester,

That is a Deluxe color scheme. Champagne's had chrome bumpers and grotesquely color-coordinated dash and steering wheel.
Colin
Not a Champagne, well no wonder I missed that I am a 71 Bus junkie anyway. I guess that Bus is a blended scotch version? Yuk yuk yuk!