acceleration issues

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

acceleration issues

Post by Birdibus » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:36 am

This is on the 71 bus. A couple days ago I began experiencing a racing engine. I was thinking the choke was stuck, but eventually we figured out the accelerator pedal was sticking. I ran some errands and used my toe to lift the pedal at stops. On the way home though I seemed to lose acceleration. I could put my foot to the floor yet experience almost no revving, a non reaction from the carb.

Is this a sign of a cable about to break? Was the frayed wire sticking in the tube, and now has stretched too far?

The other worrisome possibility is compression loss, but that would not explain the sticky accelerator pedal.
71 bus, 74 westy

sped372
IAC Addict!

Re: acceleration issues

Post by sped372 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:25 am

Pull the splash pan down and get a friend. Work the throttle while observing the mechanism underneath up front and then also back in the engine compartment. It should be fairly obvious where the trouble is.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:25 am

I bet the throttle started sticking because the cable was fraying and is now strecthed thus no throttle action. You need a cable.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:44 am

RSorak 71Westy wrote:I bet the throttle started sticking because the cable was fraying and is now strecthed thus no throttle action. You need a cable.
Yes, thanks for confirming my feeling about it.
71 bus, 74 westy

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:54 pm

The issue turned out to be with the throttle pedal linkage, not the cable. The pedal was tipped over to the right. I took it to a mechanic who fabricated a repair. They said some things were bent and some were broken. Sorry, but I could not learn specifics.

No one seemed to think the frayed cable idea was plausible.
71 bus, 74 westy

kreemoweet
Getting Hooked!

Post by kreemoweet » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:10 pm

The accelerator cable is a solid wire, it frayeth not, neither will it "stretch".
Neglected and/or abused cables sometimes just snap.

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:51 am

kreemoweet wrote:The accelerator cable is a solid wire, it frayeth not, neither will it "stretch".

What kind of accelerator cable are you using? Never seen a solid wire. They are cables and will fray and stretch and break. Same as the clutch cable but larger gauge.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:31 am

Westy78 wrote:
kreemoweet wrote:The accelerator cable is a solid wire, it frayeth not, neither will it "stretch".

What kind of accelerator cable are you using? Never seen a solid wire. They are cables and will fray and stretch and break. Same as the clutch cable but larger gauge.
Early buses had a single wire, like your average lawn mower. Worked quite well but demanded a straighter shot than stranded cables can live with.

Birdibus, I have a fix for accelerator pedal links. They wallow out the hole in the pedal and jam around the corner and it gets all nasty after that. My fix uses a big flat washer ground down on one side to fit against the underside of the pedal. This washer prevents the link from going in too far then trying to go around the bend and jamming up. I put another flat washer on the other side of the hole to keep the link from slopping around.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:14 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Westy78 wrote:

Early buses had a single wire, like your average lawn mower. Worked quite well but demanded a straighter shot than stranded cables can live with.
Colin
Ahh well there you go. That's my learned thing for the day. How early are we talking here? Bay Windows or Splitties? My experience with pre '68 is nil.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:28 pm

My 71 has a multi strand cable.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:08 am

I've been through the frayed and stretched cable scenario before. I didn't just make it up. It happened before. The cable seemed to be sticking, then it broke. It's the explanation my mechanic told me. It might have been the clutch though, I forget. Too many years gone by.
71 bus, 74 westy