Hippie's Engine Rebuild

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Hippie's Engine Rebuild

Post by Hippie » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:45 pm

I didn't know MOFOCO sucked until I did some homework. I guess I really sort of want to do the overhaul myself, but still undecided.
The plugs were never removed so far. It will be easier with the engine out. I'm still trying to find/make a place to put the engine in this new (to us) house--although it is disconnected except for two bolts and ready to pull onto the floor jack and then lower onto the rolling engine cart. I got a room in the basement but the floor is carpeted and also I need help lifting it from the tuck-under garage floor into there. (an 8 inch rise) Maybe put down some cardboard over the carpet? Either way I go, I need to strip off all the ancilliary stuff and clean it up.
Oh yeah, the main jet is a 127.

Can you help me figure out if the case is good or needs work? There ain't no ACVW machinists or align boring jigs here in Podunkchevyland. What does fretting look like?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: '69 1600 Loss of Power

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:18 am

Hippie wrote:What does fretting look like?
Saddle mating surface right where main bearing bolt goes through will have discolored grey unlike the others, and it will have pimples and craters.
ColinMustSkedaddle
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:08 pm

Hippie wrote:What does fretting look like?
Fretting? Fretting? It looks like this:

It can certainly prematurely wrinkle your brow.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:53 pm

LOL!...Ah yes, neal. I've been doing a lot of that since my bus blew chunks...this on top of everyday-everthing else.

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:20 pm

Maybe this thread should be renamed "yet another engine rebuild thread"? But I'm still considering the longblock option...so maybe keep the name for now. I dunno.

Anyways, I got the motor out and stuck it in the furnace room. I got some plywood over a tarp becuase its carpeted. This new house is not rednecked down to my standards yet. I need more bare concrete that I can get all greasy.

Reason revisited: stinkin' sinking valve seat on exhaust number three. My oil pressure has been too low, worse and worse, and I know the wrong oil pump was put in by dumb old me at one time--which shaved the back off the pump with the cam gear. Lots of metal bits went though the bearings. I drive this bus pretty hard, and I'm not putting the engine back in until I tear it apart and see what I got left of it. Maybe rebuild, maybe a longblock from Chirco, but something like new is going back in there:

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:29 pm

Oh yeah, see the hoses running out the bottom there, and heading left? That's the oil lines to and from the oil pump and to a remote oil filter mounted under the driver's side of the engine compartment. These are high pressure hydraulic lines.

So The Tom Wilson book says putting on an oil filter setup is one of the nicest things you can do for a T-1 engine. But should I keep it? The oil pump cover on this in/out style pump is aluminum instead of the original pump's steel. I wonder if the aluminum cover has been worn away by the spinning pumping gears and causes the low oil pressure. (Like 20-24 PSI at 70 mph, with 20W-50, on a mildly warm day)
I won't know untill I get it apart. Also, I have had filters bulge, and one blow out on very cold mornings. Getting to be a pain/

Should I keep the oil filter setup? Opinions please?

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:42 pm

I don't run an external filter, never have. I can see their usefulness but I'm too stubborn.
That's nice lookin' engine, too bad it's dead.
A couple years ago you could still get German oil pumps for not too much $, Oeveedub RIP. Maybe Wolfsburg West or somebody.
Just tell yourself "this will be fun" and it will. Looks like a good clean place to work.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:13 pm

Or have you considered an OxyBoxer?

Wasserboxer case with type1 cylinders and heads. Quite popular with the go-fast crowd, it seems.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:52 am

the samba has business listings that are searchable by state. its in the community section. find some that are reasonably close to you and search their reputation. maybe even private message one of the respected members for suggestions on machine shops? isn't there a off road and dune culture in the mid west somewhere.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:17 pm

SlowLane wrote:Or have you considered an OxyBoxer?

Wasserboxer case with type1 cylinders and heads. Quite popular with the go-fast crowd, it seems.
Interesting. How do they make those? I don't want water-cooled for me though. It doesn't sound right.
vdubyah73 wrote:the samba has business listings that are searchable by state. its in the community section. find some that are reasonably close to you and search their reputation. maybe even private message one of the respected members for suggestions on machine shops? isn't there a off road and dune culture in the mid west somewhere.
That's a good idea. I'll try to look for machine shops if I end up needing one.
But no there's no off-road culture in Iowa that I know if. We don't have any significant public land where you can go.

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:33 pm

Hippie wrote:
SlowLane wrote:Or have you considered an OxyBoxer?

Interesting. How do they make those? I don't want water-cooled for me though. It doesn't sound right.
That'e the beauty of the idea. You cut the cylinder water jackets off of the wasser case, bore the cylinder spigots to accept type 1 cylinders, and use type 1 heads and valvegear. The advantage is that you start out with a skookum aluminum case that can stand up to pretty much any size engine you care to build.

That's an oversimplification, of course. The link I posted is to the ShopTalkForums forum on Oxyboxers: there's a lot more information there.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:04 pm

Intriguing. Certainly not stock.

neal

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:35 am

Cool. I get it now.

Xelmon
Sedna of VW lovers

Post by Xelmon » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:21 pm

sped372 wrote: That made me laugh! I for one am not quite ready for the onset of winter yet.

Gimmeee... I love snow with all of my heart.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:31 pm

http://vimeo.com/2695592

Snow happens.

neal