Another reason...

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

lovemybus
Getting Hooked!

Another reason...

Post by lovemybus » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:05 pm

to do weekly/ monthly/ yearly/ daily/ hourly/ checks on fire prevention...

Use this as a tool, not to point your finger. [-X It could be you some day. The Godfather over at BWM has an excellent article on fire prevention as well.

http://lovemybus.com/smf/vw-bus-general ... eck.0.html
Long live the VW Buses...
LoveMyBus.com

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:20 am

I noticed that the write-up suggested that replacing the fuel/vent lines was no sure cure against fires. The only other thing I can add to the list is to check the carburetors and fuel pump to make sure that the brass nipples are secure. These cars only burn up due to stupidity or neglect. That's the truth. People wrench off old fuel lines with violence, that loosens the brass nipples. Soft fuel lines through the engine tin must be protected against abrasion. Check carb casting plugs, particularly the late Brosols, for loose fit in their bores. JB Weld is not a bad back-up. A secure sealed ignition system will reduce fire risk enormously even if you do have a gusher.
Fires are soooo avoidable.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:03 am

I wonder if they moved those filter out of the engine compartment like I told them? Especially the old plastic one that was right behind the dizzy. That really sucks. I hope these guys can get back on the road and still love the Bus.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:21 pm

Amskeptic wrote:I noticed that the write-up suggested that replacing the fuel/vent lines was no sure cure against fires. The only other thing I can add to the list is to check the carburetors and fuel pump to make sure that the brass nipples are secure. These cars only burn up due to stupidity or neglect. That's the truth. People wrench off old fuel lines with violence, that loosens the brass nipples. Soft fuel lines through the engine tin must be protected against abrasion. Check carb casting plugs, particularly the late Brosols, for loose fit in their bores. JB Weld is not a bad back-up. A secure sealed ignition system will reduce fire risk enormously even if you do have a gusher.
Fires are soooo avoidable.
Colin
This is why I just fabricated an entirely new fuel delivery system. Angled Bug style tank nozzle, fuel filter six inches later, pump about six inches after that, steel fuel line from there up through the firewall to the Holley regulator with built in tee and then hoses to the carbs. Use 7mm Porsche Fuel injection hose with a 900 PSI Burst Rate. Also replaced Fill Hose (German Supply), Fill Breather Hose, Tank Vent Elbow & all vent lines. Also had the sender rebuilt by Icy from Samba.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:46 pm

YIKES!!!
Good thing I am replacing the rest of my lines this weekend....
Are they going to get another bus?
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

lovemybus
Getting Hooked!

Post by lovemybus » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:55 pm

well, it doesn't look like it at this point. They have to get their lives back together, basically there office was smoked. Id's, credit cards, laptops, you name it... It was a total lose for them.

It really is an bummer. I would hope to see them do it again, without the burning part. I mean find a bus fix it up, etc... I explained to them a nice new engine and tranny would prolly be a good way to go if you plan on traveling so much. Along with proper maintenance it would be a pretty reliable car. Pushing a bus in poor working order is just not a good idea.

but if anything, I hope this will help one or two, or even more people understand the severity of having the proper fire preventative methods in working order.

At least there wasn't anyone hurt, and as you all know- It really could have been worse. A good learning experience for all.

Oh and there are some new pics up on there blog.
http://www.blog.mykin.us

And a plug for them- If you all dont know what MyKin.us actually is:

http://www.MyKin.Us
Keep in touch with family!
Use our tools to blog, share pictures, and chat it up.

They're your family, love them!
We just want to bring family together. If you're close, get closer! If you're not, then here is your chance to get there.

Its completely free, forever!
Not because we're crazy, but because we can and we care about you.

Total privacy and safety!
Only your family and friends can see the stuff you share. We put you in control.
Long live the VW Buses...
LoveMyBus.com

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:38 pm

I've gotta say those pics really tear me up. R.I.P. gentle bay. :smt022. R.I.P.
Keep it acoustic.