Tristessa!

Fastback, Squareback, Notchback, T-3 Karmann Ghia.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Tristessa!

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:12 pm

Were you the one who referred me to a supplier of genuine new aluminum-trim-grooved windshield molding for the Squareback?

If not, redeem yourself:

Interior panels? - offwhite
1973 seat covers - offwhite
Headliner
Side/rear window seals (aluminum-trim)
WTH, dash panel NOS ???

Go ahead Hal, make my day. . . .
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Vdubtech
IAC Addict!

Post by Vdubtech » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:25 pm

Hey Colin, not sure when you're gonna be back around these parts but at the end of the month I am planning a trip up north to a VW junkyard....the guy has over 500 VW's out behind his house. I usually go at least once a year, but this is the first year I'll actually be looking for T3 stuff. Gonna be the weekend after Thanskgiving....let me know if you'll be around.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:07 pm

Vdubtech wrote:Hey Colin, not sure when you're gonna be back around these parts but at the end of the month I am planning a trip up north to a VW junkyard....the guy has over 500 VW's out behind his house. I usually go at least once a year, but this is the first year I'll actually be looking for T3 stuff. Gonna be the weekend after Thanskgiving....let me know if you'll be around.
T3 junkyard parts, I don't think I am in the market for anything. I-I-I have a complete car. Except. . . . intact rear arm rests and perfect tailgate hinge covers and a late model T3 tachometer, outta be easy, thanx, let me know how much it was. . . :colors:

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:41 pm

Weren't me. Maybe Adventurewagon?

The only interior parts I've had experience with are TMI products. The doorpanels were well-made and fit like they should. The seatcovers (1970 version) fit reasonably well but aren't correct -- the basketweave panel on the front seat bottoms goes all the way down in the back, and they ship with a stupid piece of string in place of the (proper) wire along the bottom edge of the seat bottom sections. I've never done a headliner and therefore have no valid commentary on the quality of what's available.

That said, the two main places I know of for Type 3 are the DDB here in Portland and ISP West down in Carson, CA. ISP's got a catalog available in PDF format right here, DDB it's best to call or email.

NOS Dash pad, late T3 tachometer? Good luck. Uncracked original pads are scarce and spendy, the reproductions are crap -- floppy and too small. Another option may be to have one restored, either by Just Dashes or Dashboard Restorations. And I don't think I've even *seen* a late T3 tach.

Does your clock work?
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

covelo
Old School!

Post by covelo » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:35 pm

No that was me. I also referred you to the DDB. They are the source of most of the strips on your car!
‘80 Vanagon Westfalia - 54,400 miles
'91 Toyota Pickup (4WD long bed) - 199,960 miles
1987 Alfa Spider Veloce - 166,400 miles
2017 VW E-Golf - 5,600 miles

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:06 pm

covelo wrote:No that was me. I also referred you to the DDB. They are the source of most of the strips on your car!
Thanks, folks. I love this little car. . . with its smooth engine now, better still.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:53 pm

It looks happy!
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:39 pm

hambone wrote:It looks happy!
I think it is. But it also has an attitude. Extremely happy to hit to the road and bang out the gear changes, it now has lovely firm brakes and light gas/clutch pedals, steering is very quick and precise, heater is a killer, but the little things it likes to do, it likes to do regardless of my efforts to eradicate them. The voltage regulator loves to do a tick-tick-tick in concert with the engine rpm but at the same slow speed as a wheel, the ventilation fan likes to think it deserves to be louder than the engine, the wipers haven't really woken up. But it starts up like, "Where we going? Let's go . . . if it rains yer on your own."
Colin