Get Thee a Type 3

Fastback, Squareback, Notchback, T-3 Karmann Ghia.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Get Thee a Type 3

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:01 pm

They are good cars. We will cover you on the D-Jet fuel injection and unique front suspension.
Colin

Vdubtech
IAC Addict!

Re: Get Thee a Type 3

Post by Vdubtech » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:57 pm

Amskeptic wrote:They are good cars. We will cover you on the D-Jet fuel injection and unique front suspension.
Colin
I'm gonna hold you to that when you make it back up this way again and we can dive into mine. Be glad you're in Texas right now....Oswego has gotten over 6 [b[ feet[/b] of snow since Monday and it isn't supposed to stop until the weekend. They're literally buried. I'll be taking a rip up there this weekend to take some pics. Supposed to have 100" or more by the time all is said and done. Pulaski of all places is making naitonal news. It's crazy.....but...back to the topic at hand...I can't god damn wait to drive that Square. I may have to arm wrestle Vicki for it.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:35 pm

Vdubtech wrote:
Be glad you're in Texas right now....Oswego has gotten over 6 [b[ feet[/b] of snow since Monday and it isn't supposed to stop until the weekend.

back to the topic at hand...I can't god damn wait to drive that Square. I may have to arm wrestle Vicki for it.
Oh I am glad, all right. But today I drove from 74* and sunny into 42* and misting in the span of an hour and a half.

I love those huge snow slams. I drove through Buffalo when it got that 7 feet in a week a couple of years ago. You like shovelling the mountain of snow at the driveway entrance where you have to climb to the top of the pile and cut your way down just to move it back and make room for the next storm?
Colin

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:36 pm

Amskeptic wrote:... and superior front suspension.
Fixed that for ya. :bounce:
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

baygeek
Getting Hooked!

Post by baygeek » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:45 am

tristessa wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:... and superior front suspension.
Fixed that for ya. :bounce:

true dat...
just another crow...
Amskeptic wrote: Well, even though we have these pesky visitor crows who come swooping in to caw about hypocrisy! hypocrisy!

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:54 pm

Amskeptic wrote:Get Thee a Type 3
Done.
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:02 am

So I got to my Squareback in Atlanta on March 21. It had been sitting since last May.
"Squareback?" I sez, "can you just wake up and get me to upstate New York?" I plop the battery terminal on, check the oil and tire pressures, and boom, we're on a 1,000 mile trip up I-75 for the next two days in the rain dodging trucks and waiting for the wipers to loosen up:

Squareback cruising at 65-70 mph is snug as a bug in the cold rain with snow flakes, the heat output is prodigious, and the interior is a cozy warm off-white against the gunmetal grey day outside playing off the marnablau exterior:

Then, I transfer my effects into the BMW and leave my loyal plucky little Squareback languishing in the barn in upstate NY:

while the BMW gets to gallivant around the Eastern seaboard:

T'ain't fair.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

MeyerII
IAC Addict!

Post by MeyerII » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:07 am

My '65 goes back up to stock height the beginning of next month. The infamous "Tram" is driving up to guide me through the process (as well as supply the NLA parts). Can't wait to find out what driving a non-lowered T3 feels like.

For reference, this is the current stance - sits an inch or two off the ground in the front:

Corporations are not people.

Money is not speech.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:00 pm

MeyerII wrote:Can't wait to find out what driving a non-lowered T3 feels like.
Better.
No bounding.
No sideways skipping on hard turns.
Better transitional response avoiding truck tire carcasses on the highway.
Sail over railroad tracks and through drainage dips with aplomb.
Famously easy VW steering + improved centering.

Let me know if I left anything out.
Colin
Less asphalt friction wear on undercarriage components.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

covelo
Old School!

Post by covelo » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:29 pm

Amskeptic wrote:Let me know if I left anything out.
Fewer come-hither looks from the wrong kind of women.
‘80 Vanagon Westfalia - 54,400 miles
'91 Toyota Pickup (4WD long bed) - 199,960 miles
1987 Alfa Spider Veloce - 166,400 miles
2017 VW E-Golf - 5,600 miles

MeyerII
IAC Addict!

Post by MeyerII » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:01 pm

Tram's definition of a T3 is a T1 with the "Bugs" removed.

Money is not speech.

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:09 pm

Love that car Meyer. Dig those wheels on it too. Are you going back to stock wheels after lifting it back up? Seems like they may not fit the look on a non lowered car.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

anniehum
I'm New!

Post by anniehum » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:50 pm

Those will be great rims now that they are powder coated and he is going back to stock suspension. I love my squareback. She is a 70' FI stock girl. running turtleback wheels. Gets lots of looks and lots of awards. She is getting a new topend rebuild. Actually I just have to put the tin back on her and new fuel line. Then I need muscle to put the motor back in.
Cheers
To Quote MissZora" This bus is rockin my world"

MeyerII
IAC Addict!

Post by MeyerII » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:39 pm

Westy78 wrote:Love that car Meyer. Dig those wheels on it too. Are you going back to stock wheels after lifting it back up? Seems like they may not fit the look on a non lowered car.
Stock stock stock stock, and stock in the frunk. The gold EMPI rims are likely headed to one of Franklins VW Werks cars.

These are the wheels, fresh from the powdercoater:

I found correct thin whitewalls from Coker, and they're all mounted up and ready to go. I am planning on turning it in to a period-correct camping setup with something like a Heilite trailer in tow. Just for fun, I want to get it down to all camping equipment from the mid-to-late sixties.

Somebody just told me that my old '63 camper showed up in a UK magazine - "UK Campers and Commercials". I miss the bus, but these T3s are really growing on me. The only drawback is that few people seem to know much about them pre-'66. Certainly no shops around here know what parts go on them. And lots and lots of parts are no longer available or are fabricated from pure unobtainium.

Thats why Tram doesn't pay for booze when he's in our neck of the woods. We have to preserve the ones who know how.

Money is not speech.

MeyerII
IAC Addict!

Post by MeyerII » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:40 pm

anniehum wrote:Those will be great rims now that they are powder coated and he is going back to stock suspension. I love my squareback. She is a 70' FI stock girl. running turtleback wheels. Gets lots of looks and lots of awards. She is getting a new topend rebuild. Actually I just have to put the tin back on her and new fuel line. Then I need muscle to put the motor back in.
Cheers
We'll help git'r done. Heck, if there's any way to do it over here, you are most welcome. Lots of tools and stuff.

Money is not speech.