Gypsie Bug

Beetle, Karmann Ghia, Thing.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:59 pm

Check the carb base flange for warpage as the source of your leak, real common on the 30 & 34PICT units. Only real cure is to flatten it with solvent-flooded wet-or-dry sandpaper on a piece of glass. Been there done that...

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:30 pm

tristessa wrote:Only real cure is to flatten it with solvent-flooded wet-or-dry sandpaper on a piece of glass. Been there done that...
I was thinking about this for both surfaces.

no need to add anything to the bare gasket, right?
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:15 pm

Spankalicious!!!!! What a find!!!!

Ruckman has a spare carb of mine that is in working order, if he ain't planning on using it for his new rig then I would love for you to be abe to use it. If not, you can wait until I pull the motor on bill and I can send you a keifernet special 30pict on indefinite loan if you need one. If you need a 34 CONTACT keifernet, his work does not suck. :geek:

VW's for everyone!! (extra rides that is.)
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:10 pm

Gypsie wrote:I was thinking about this for both surfaces.

no need to add anything to the bare gasket, right?
While it's indeed possible that the manifold flange is warped as well, it's much less likely. Manifold is steel, carb body is soft potmetal.

Shouldn't *need* anything on the gasket, but I like to give them a swipe of grease on both sides; helps keep them from being quite so stuck the next time you've gotta change the gasket.

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:54 am

A good flat mill bastard file is all you need to for repairing a gasket surface. Keep it flat and just file away.Use it as a straight edge to find the high/low spots. file accordingly.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:02 am

I decided to replace the gasket last night and there is now no whining coming from the engine bay at all.

Still has a low end flat spot. ??? Lots better though.

I'm thinking that some fine tuning is now in order. Things are probably pretty wonky in the idle mixture.

It kind of feels like the accelerator is either dumping too much or in a bad spray pattern or...

I will give the carb (34pict) a full rebuild when I get my kit. Give it the close eyeball.

Thanks for the offer Spiff. I wouldn't want to take away any motivators for Neal getting his buggy going...what with Bertha, Gretchen, and Cheryl all vying for his attention.
What's the buggy's name anyway....?

Though if it was just gathering dust I could give it a try and swap out carbs...? (Neal?)

Lots of power though. Pretty smooth purr. Hits cruisin speed pretty quick.

Heat is next...

then shimmy...

then?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:02 am

vdubyah73 wrote:A good flat mill bastard file is all you need to for repairing a gasket surface. Keep it flat and just file away.Use it as a straight edge to find the high/low spots. file accordingly.
But we won't do that on an installed intake manifold . . . will we? Of course not.
Colin :pirate:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:11 am

Sure, just stuff an oily paper towel down the hole. clean thoroughly with a brake or carb cleaner soaked paper towel after pulling out the oil soaked towel. Don't spray the cleaner down the intake, spray it on the towel/rag that you use for cleaning it.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:13 am

Hiya Gypsy,

You might want to pull your distributor and take a close look at that vacuum advance unit. If it is not working you could well have a situation that mimics the 009/34PICT3 dead spot in acceleration.

Just a thought.........
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:34 am

I tested the centrifugal advance when I loved up on it this weekend. Seems to spec.

Thought about pulling it apart to clean it up and set things right though nothings seems wrong at the moment.

still no hiss or whine. Nice ride. Big change from the cavernous Vanagon to the cockpit of the bug.

I did a roadside mixture adjustment this morning and found that the mix was set extraordinarily rich (about 6 turns from bottom. I ended up at about 4). Flat spot smoothed a bit but there is still a skosh of a lag.

Found that the defrost vent system for driver and passenger side is plumb missing. Great heat from the bottom track area and center defrost but the sides are open to the trunk!

Any pieces kicking around out there? I will likely put on my Gypsie hat and find an alternate solution from the piles of crap I have laying around til I can find one.

Still can't find a rearwindow defrost switch. I may try a direct switch fused wire til I track down the solution.

fun fun fun...

Ahem...

Someone tell me that I am not killing my engine by having the preheater flap wired open. Hambone was very concerned that I was doing this, but I think it helps in the cold weather. Someone weigh in here.

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:41 am

don't sweat the preheated. It would help with yet icing issues but that is about it.

Take the carb off and clean everything out. I use carb spray and an air compressor with a football inflator to get in the passages. Bentley has some great diagrams to give an idea what goes where.

Floats can reeeeeeek havoc too.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:51 am

spiffy wrote:don't sweat the preheated. It would help with yet icing issues but that is about it.

Thank you. Icing bad.
spiffy wrote:Take the carb off and clean everything out. I use carb spray and an air compressor with a football inflator to get in the passages. Bentley has some great diagrams to give an idea what goes where.
Did a quick spray down with a pinoint air nozzle and some cleaner last night. Carb cleaner on rubber gloves in a windy 35 degrees made fer some cold finners. Dub Love.

Did not crack the float bowl til I get the kit. Will do a complete soak and clean then. I will look for pivot wear then.

Also looking for a spare tire or even a rim if anyone has one cheap.

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:57 am

Bookwus wrote: you could well have a situation that mimics the 009/34PICT3 dead spot in acceleration.

Just a thought.........
What is this dead spot you speak of....some known fact unknown to me?

34pict3 is the carb on mine.

009 is the distributor? They don't play nice?

-Gypsie, the thick headed.

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:19 am

I have two tires for you if you want them.

Same brand and size as the spare on bob's bus.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:26 am

What size is that Bob.

I have 195's on the bug and 205's on the van but I will be getting 185's for the van next go round.

Both rigs have great tread.

P'raps next camp you could bring em if'n ya got room next to the tuba.