Dune buggy?

Beetle, Karmann Ghia, Thing.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Dune buggy?

Post by vdubyah73 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:58 pm

Any body have one? Most if not all are based on the Beetle, soooo I guess we can post here.

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:04 pm

Wouldn't let me edit to try again. I don't think I'll ever figure out how to post a pic. Works as a link though. Anyway that's mine, I built it in about 5 months in the winter of '03-'04. Found the body in a back yard with a small tree growing through it! It's got a Chico Performance Racing 2275 cc longblock in it. I'm a very happy customer of Chico's.

Bill

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:20 pm

vdubyah73 wrote: that's mine, I built it in about 5 months in the winter of '03-'04.
That's a nice car. And yes, it belongs here until the numbers suggest a dedicated forum for them. You're the founding post : )
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

MidWesty
Getting Hooked!

Post by MidWesty » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:47 pm

Do you know what body style that is? I really like the lines. I almost bought a Berry mini T for $400 with a locked up engine a few months back. I'm kinda kicking my self in the butt now for not picking it up. It was totally complete, just needed the engine swapped out.
Anyway, I definitely like whatever style that is. Nice ride!
"Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right."

'78 Rivi
'63 Ragtop
'73 Double cab (for sale)

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:23 am

MidWesty wrote:Do you know what body style that is? I really like the lines. I almost bought a Berry mini T for $400 with a locked up engine a few months back. I'm kinda kicking my self in the butt now for not picking it up. It was totally complete, just needed the engine swapped out.
Anyway, I definitely like whatever style that is. Nice ride!
Midwesty, my body is a Bounty Hunter. Made in Burbank, CA. in the mid 60's. New kits being made in the UK. The Deserter GT and the GS are lisenced clones of the Bounty Hunter made in Marblehead, MA. in the late 60's early 70's. The design is 4"s longer for road racing and the GS has a tube frame, mid engine configuration. There is also the Marauder and the Renegade which are very similar.
The windshield comes from a Renault Dauphine, a car that has been made since about '67. They are easily available but only from Pilkington Glass at $397 plus $100 shipping....ouch. Search deserterownersgroup on yahoo there is a website with a lot more info and help. I think they think to much over there though some of them are trying to reinvent the wheel and take 5years or more to build them!

Bill

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:43 am

Apropos of absolutely nothing, I visited a mother lode of old VWs with The Sage the other day.
The chasses we saw, absent bodies, were so light and flimsy. The bodies we saw without floor pans were so light and flimsy. Yet, put them together and you have a tough little legend. Particularly that oval rag top.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles