Ghia engine mysteries

Beetle, Karmann Ghia, Thing.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Re: Ghia engine mysteries

Post by ruckman101 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:58 am

Oooo, can't wait to hear it all dialed in sweet. Got to hear the beast as he was leaving Skin Daddio's last night. Nope, not a real smooth idle, but accelerating away...woof. At no time would I call it quiet.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:00 am

Yeah, she's not... demure.
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:04 am

I would have to agree, but fun for sure.

neal

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:04 am

Amskeptic wrote: Keep a close watch on that heat. After 1,000 miles, things should be at normal baseline.
Colin
Fer sure. Gonna bring the thermo-gun along next time to take a few readings. I'll check the plug color at the first oil change and valve adjust, too. Sure don't wanna cook her!
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:06 am

ruckman101 wrote:I would have to agree, but fun for sure.

neal
It's hard taking the tight turns in town, gotta be real light on the gas or she just wants to swing. Well, hard as in hard not to want to let out the teenager in me and let her...

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:26 pm

:blackeye:

Well, I think I solved my Ghia mysteries. Even with the new powerplant she kept getting hot. So it had to be something with the car. I guess it helps when the firewall sound-deadening sheet thingy isn't a bit loose, causing it to suck up to block the fan at high speeds... Ahhhh, the simple things.

Bonus: The heat works better too!

Extra bonus: The 40 horse is likely still plenty good enough to stick in the '66 to get him going.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:57 pm

Details, details.

neal

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:02 am

DjEep wrote::blackeye:
I guess it helps when the firewall sound-deadening sheet thingy isn't a bit loose, causing it to suck up to block the fan at high speeds...
You apologize to the patient long-suffering engine at once.
Colin
(who ran the Road Warrior 12* retarded for a whole year . . . back in 1979 )
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:25 pm

The little 40 horse has been consoled and is patiently awaiting a nice retirement in Casper, as the '66 is now named.

The 1776 is happy to be getting flogged along. Gonna do another valve adjust, maybe re-torque the heads in the next 100 miles or so. She's breaking in now. I think getting the oil hotter than the heads on a trip up to the hot springs last weekend helped set things up :pirate: . On that note, I can say that Valvoline VR1 20w50 can get up past 300* and still be clean and slick. :cyclopsani:

Oh yeah, details....

I had her running on the lift, trying to figure out what was causing the extreme temps. I thought the flow from the exhaust of the oil cooler ducting seemed weak. So I pulled the fan shroud (gotta love Ghias) to take a look. My boss showed up and we were standing there, having a smoke and talking about what it could be. Suddenly he said, "I know what it is!" The sun happened to be shining into the shop that morning and bathing the engine bay in light. He pointed out the faintest ring on the firewall liner, right where the fan would be, and upon inspection, right where two of the metal tabs than hold it down had torn through it. (it's a cheep-o foam-rubbery one)

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:40 pm

DjEep wrote:The little 40 horse has been consoled and is patiently awaiting a nice retirement in Casper, as the '66 is now named.

The 1776 is happy to be getting flogged along. Gonna do another valve adjust, maybe re-torque the heads in the next 100 miles or so. She's breaking in now. I think getting the oil hotter than the heads on a trip up to the hot springs last weekend helped set things up :pirate: . On that note, I can say that Valvoline VR1 20w50 can get up past 300* and still be clean and slick. :cyclopsani:

Oh yeah, details....

I had her running on the lift, trying to figure out what was causing the extreme temps. I thought the flow from the exhaust of the oil cooler ducting seemed weak. So I pulled the fan shroud (gotta love Ghias) to take a look. My boss showed up and we were standing there, having a smoke and talking about what it could be. Suddenly he said, "I know what it is!" The sun happened to be shining into the shop that morning and bathing the engine bay in light. He pointed out the faintest ring on the firewall liner, right where the fan would be, and upon inspection, right where two of the metal tabs than hold it down had torn through it. (it's a cheep-o foam-rubbery one)
The powers of simple observation . . . come from contemplative peace pipe moments.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

skin daddio
IAC Addict!

Post by skin daddio » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:02 am

sounded good. i heard up to mid-third gear.
the bug pack works ..it sure is sensible.