Chrome Window Trim

Beetle, Karmann Ghia, Thing.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Chrome Window Trim

Post by RussellK » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:04 am

Has anyone ever battled installing the chrome trim? My gawd what a PITA. We fought an ill fitting WCM seal against an ill fitting windshield for 6 hours yesterday. Finally we got seal, trim and windshield to go together and when pulling the cord with about 12 inches left on the cord, the seal binds up against the frame and out pops the trim. I thought my wife and helper was going to have a breakdown right there in the garage. We tried for another hour to get the trim in and no love. The window and seal have to be out to get that trim in. Finally we decided enough was enough and pilled the trim out the rest of the way. I like the chrome trim but am getting used to that clean no trim look more and more!

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Re: Chrome Window Trim

Post by BellePlaine » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:05 am

Your post reminds me of this post.

viewtopic.php?f=58&t=8471

I miss Bookwus.
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:33 am

Yes. I remember that thread too. Its all true. I don't think there has been a job more frustrating. At one point my wife let out a string of profanities so colorful and creative I could only start laughing.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:42 pm

I have been told by numerous windshield installers that they won't touch the stuff. It's ok, that chrome stuff was only used on export models.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:31 pm

It's a pita, but it just takes patience. I've installed dozens of WCW seals, several with chrome, and have never encountered any problems a bunch of silicone grease and a string of profanities couldn't handle. Let that seal sit in the sun and soften for a while before attempting.

I've been told that many window installers won't touch the stuff too. This just means they are lazy newbies who don't want to touch anything they can't just glue and lay in.
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:50 pm

DjEep wrote:It's a pita, but it just takes patience. I've installed dozens of WCW seals, several with chrome, and have never encountered any problems a bunch of silicone grease and a string of profanities couldn't handle. Let that seal sit in the sun and soften for a while before attempting.

I've been told that many window installers won't touch the stuff too. This just means they are lazy newbies who don't want to touch anything they can't just glue and lay in.
I did this entire car with new rubber and aluminum chrome. It is fiddlef**king to the Nth degree, no doubt, but you DO develop a system after four or five horror stories.

I am more strongly recommending on bay windshield installs that you emphasize peeling the inside rubber over the lip and stay clear of pressing the windshield itself. I see lots of evidence that we pinch things unnecessarily by pushing too hard. Just press the rubber seal nearby but not too close for the inside person to get the rubber over the lip.

The chrome trim on the Road Warrior was tricky at the corners. It is very wrongly easy to bend the chrome "3/4-circle" profile in the corners so that it loses its "hook" into the seal.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Sean Gallagher
Addicted!

Post by Sean Gallagher » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:12 pm

I haven't been on this site for a long while, but saw this thread and felt right at home. Whether type I or Type II, seals & chrome can certainly be a challenge. Here's m y experience with a '57 Oval.

I ordered a set from WCM, but got the chrome trim from WW. (It's a long story). Anyway, the vent wing seals were the biggest challenge.

These grooves need to bake in the sun and get a strong dose of silicone.

You've got to pay attention to where the rubber lines up with the frame.

The channels run deep, and can we say are challenging!

I found covering a flat blade screw driver with duct tape was a good way to protect the paint and have a useful tool. You also have to put the vent window in at the same time you're working the seal in or you'll never get that window installed.

With patience it does all come together.

Those chrome/rubber trim pieces on the doors leave a lot to be desired. These were WCM. Not sure if other suppliers had better quality, but I was not overly impressed with these, although they did fit.

I'm really not impressed with any "aftermarket" chrome. The WW is nice, but it's really not up to snuff with most of their other stuff, but then again, no one's is, and that's the shame we live everyday.

I'm doing a combination WCM & WW on the chrome trim in the windshield, rear and side stationary windows, so it should be a big adventure. We'll see if mix & match had its downfalls.
1957 Oval (36HP 6 volt)
1959 SO-23 Westfalia (36HP 6 volt)
1978 Kombi (6 volts too many!)

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:43 pm

That looks really nice. I have to do my bus vents someday but am delaying as long as possible.
Aftermarket chrome - my Beetle side mirror is pitting after 2 months. Ok then.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:07 am

Sean Gallagher wrote:I haven't been on this site for a long while, but saw this thread and felt right at home. Whether type I or Type II, seals & chrome can certainly be a challenge. Here's m y experience with a '57 Oval.
Hey Sean, have any pictures of that Oval? Looks nice!
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Sean Gallagher
Addicted!

Post by Sean Gallagher » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:24 pm

Here's a few...

1957 Oval (36HP 6 volt)
1959 SO-23 Westfalia (36HP 6 volt)
1978 Kombi (6 volts too many!)

zabo
Old School!

Post by zabo » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:16 pm