Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

The CEK Bug Thread

Post by ruckman101 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:08 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
ruckman101 wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
cek347 wrote:This looks like what I have. Im gonna check the local auto stores but will probably order it.

http://www.airheadparts.com/vintage-vw- ... tyle-01009
That should do it. Local auto store associates are likely to look at you quizzically, "what're points?"
Colin
Want an oil filter with that?

I recently bought a quart of 30w oil to add to a borrowed car who's oil was low. I didn't know what it wanted, and figured 30w was safe. Well right on the fill cap it said it wanted 5-20, so I took the quart in and exchanged it. Dude comments, "Yeah, not many cars running straight 30w anymore, unless they are old and smoking." "I'm used to my '70 VW bus." Not a refutation, despite that fact it doesn't smoke.

neal
Make this post relevant to Electrical, or it gets it.
Moderatormafia
Gulp. No hope.

The "want an oil filter with that?" was in response to buying the electrical components for a complete tune-up. Weak, I know.

neal ::hangman::
The slipper has no teeth.

cek347
I'm New!

Re: Points question

Post by cek347 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:04 pm

01009 Fit right in. Dropped the little c-clip that goes on top of the shaft, managed to find its way somewhere out of sight in my garage.... :pale: Have to see if the hardware store has one.

Back in and adjusted. A few more things and I'll be firing this thing up after 4 years of sitting.

So much to do!
15 Jetta Tdi 23k
01 Golf Tdi 267k RIP 2/4/15
WTB: Bay West or Vanagon Westy

cek347
I'm New!

Post by cek347 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:06 pm

Oh, and thanks for allowing me another good place to pose a question. I have much to learn.
15 Jetta Tdi 23k

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:05 am

cek347 wrote:So much to do!

By that picture it sure does look that way. What all do you have to do to the body?
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

cek347
I'm New!

Post by cek347 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:57 pm

So got the points in, found the little c-clip while sweeping up!, adjusted the valves, set the static timing, gave the motor a light cleaning, hooked up the hoses.....

Pushed it out in the driveway. (First time Ive moved it in 4 years)

Have the gas tank out so fan some fuel hose from the front to a gas can, Took a bit to prime the system.... then started right up and settled to a nice smooth idle. Wow. I havent heard it run since I picked it up from the PO's house in Dec. 07. I shut it down for a bit, then started it up 30 min. later, just reached in and turned the key to see if it would go.... fired right up without any pedal.

Just wanted to follow up, one more time, that everything worked out as it should. I'll probably look for a timing light and see where Im at with that. So far so good. Onto my next issues.
15 Jetta Tdi 23k

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:03 pm

cek347 wrote: Pushed it out in the driveway. (First time Ive moved it in 4 years)
Want me bring this post over to the Type 1 forum where you can update us like a blog?
Colin
(I would split just after the points question which can stay here in Electrical)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:02 am

I love stories like yours cek347.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

cek347
I'm New!

Post by cek347 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:05 pm

Want me bring this post over to the Type 1 forum where you can update us like a blog?
Colin
Sure, bring it over there. Im glad to share and I like comments/ideas/motivation from others. This board and Colin's journeys have kept me entertained and helped relight my fire to get into the garage.

My old '74 circa 2004:

15 Jetta Tdi 23k

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:32 pm

cek347 wrote:
Colin
Sure, bring it over there.
There is Here.
Colin

cek347
I'm New!

Re: The CEK Bug Thread

Post by cek347 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:54 am

So back at it after a few months out of the garage. I am knocking out electrical problem by problem. As seen here http://itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtop ... 48&t=10831

After I get the brake lights going, Im going to put the gas tank back in. I put the fenders on loosely but need to get some more fender welt. Ive decided I want this thing on the road even if it is not pretty. Ive had it 4.5 years and it has not been driven. In fact, Ive only driven a beetle maybe 1/2 mile even though this is my second project....

I hope to make some progress this week. I'll get some more pics with the fenders bolted on for real.
15 Jetta Tdi 23k

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: The CEK Bug Thread

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:56 pm

cek347 wrote:Ive decided I want this thing on the road even if it is not pretty.
Drive it because it needs to feel useful and make it pretty one step at a time.
Colin