the artic ice is melting!

Post by blatzer » Fri May 14, 2010 5:16 am

and it's your fault
this link, if you care to read it, suggests a different cause
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2 ... oss-arctic

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Fri May 14, 2010 6:44 am

And the cause of the sudden changes in wind patterns is...?
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

blatzer
Getting Hooked!

Post by blatzer » Fri May 14, 2010 7:11 am

you, so pay your green taxes and stop breathing and driving your car!

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Fri May 14, 2010 8:56 am

Yes, cause that's what people concerned about the environment are wanting you to do... give up EVERYTHING, including your freedom!! (<Not a scare tactic at all.)

Cindy
IAC Addict!

Post by Cindy » Fri May 14, 2010 10:10 am

blatzer wrote:you, so pay your green taxes and stop breathing and driving your car!
We drive too much. I don't argue with that at all.

Cindy
“No one can tell what goes on in between the person you were and the person you become. No one can chart that blue and lonely section of hell. There are no maps of the change. You just come out the other side.
Or you don't.” ― Stephen King, The Stand

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Fri May 14, 2010 10:56 am

Cindy wrote:
blatzer wrote:you, so pay your green taxes and stop breathing and driving your car!
We drive too much. I don't argue with that at all.

Cindy
Yeah but it's a catch-22 because when you drive less and walk or bicycle more, you just end up breathing more. And it's the excessive respiration the we must put an end to, my friends!

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Fri May 14, 2010 2:04 pm

Velokid1 wrote:Yeah but it's a catch-22 because when you drive less and walk or bicycle more, you just end up stinking more. And it's the excessive perspiration the we must put an end to, my friends!
Fixed that for ya, Velo... :)
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Fri May 14, 2010 2:05 pm

Just plain old too many people.
When the ice is gone, I'm heading up there to get out of the cold.

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Fri May 14, 2010 2:12 pm

Velokid1 wrote:Yes, cause that's what people concerned about the environment are wanting you to do... give up EVERYTHING, including your freedom!! (<Not a scare tactic at all.)
This is where the anti-environmentalist movement loses me. It's all or nothing. Either stop breathing or keep running full tilt toward continued resource consumption/depletion.

Sure I see the irony of the environmentalist that drives a fuel consuming car. And the environmentalist that is full on zero footprint yet doesn't see that not everyone can or will do the same.

I've heard that the only way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time.

I take one bit at a time and will continue to do so. I also drive to campouts and for pleasure to go visiting or sightseeing. Doesn't mean I will stop taking one bite at a time.

Unless of course we are deciding that there is no use trying at all and life as we know it is at an end and we should just give up trying to think of ways to reduce our consumption and waste. In that case it must be party time. :pirate:
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Fri May 14, 2010 2:20 pm

Gypsie wrote: In that case it must be party time. :pirate:
Now that's the gypsie we know and love. Pass me a PBR tallboy and a jar of vaseline!:occasion5: :bootyshake:

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Fri May 14, 2010 2:42 pm

Gypsie wrote:This is where the anti-environmentalist movement loses me. It's all or nothing. Either stop breathing or keep running full tilt toward continued resource consumption/depletion.

Sure I see the irony of the environmentalist that drives a fuel consuming car. And the environmentalist that is full on zero footprint yet doesn't see that not everyone can or will do the same.

I've heard that the only way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time.

I take one bit at a time and will continue to do so. I also drive to campouts and for pleasure to go visiting or sightseeing. Doesn't mean I will stop taking one bite at a time.

Unless of course we are deciding that there is no use trying at all and life as we know it is at an end and we should just give up trying to think of ways to reduce our consumption and waste. In that case it must be party time. :pirate:
Anti-environmentalist sounds all spitefull and stuff. Anti-global warmist, or denier woiuld be more accurate, because the conditions and evidence alleged by the warmists are not anything unusual in terms of earth's climate, -yet to them our survival is in question. It's just science, or the lack of it. It's interesting to see what people believe and why. I think most people have basically good reasons, but the degree of the severity of the situation and what can be done is exaggerated. Don't you agree?

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Fri May 14, 2010 4:18 pm

Post deleted. Too bad, eh? :drunken:
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

turk
IAC Addict!

Post by turk » Fri May 14, 2010 11:49 pm

That's too bad GE. I think the Climate Change meme, if U will, makes sense but the accuracy of knowing what humans' effect on it is purely speculative and (IMHO) pretty futuristic, so it's something to watch but not to get too worried about yet.

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Sat May 15, 2010 12:17 am

I agree that the 'degree of severity' is relative to perspective. Some perspectives are pretty wacky. Some are well reasoned and have no basis in reality. Some make sense to some and not to others.

I do understand the desire to not be fooled and to assure that others aren't fooled by pointing out things that may have been unseen or unrecognized (like junk science or unrevealed motives).

I do think that there is fear of the unknown future that is indicated by recent past (recorded weather patterns, geological surveys and the like)and forecasted outcomes supported by all sorts of guaging and math and observations.

Will the world stop being able to support life tomorrow? Barring a meteor or some other calamity. likely life will keep living on.

Will the world stop being able to support life in my daughters lifetime? Likely things will not be that different as she comes up. Things may change as far as food supplies and clean water, depending on the birth/death rate, but life will continue.

Will the world stop being able to support life in my greatgreatgreatgreat grandchild's age? Don't know. the odds are long against it, but at our current rate of growth and relative use of resources, you can guess things will be much different. Perhaps more dire. There are many forks in the road twixt there and here.

Do I want to know that I have taken my bite of the elephant to improve the possibility of a healthy environment? Yes.

I also think that people can get overzealous about their positions and exaggerate outcomes to make a point. True of any perspective. Some can get so entrenched that they are not willing to see any other perspective but their own and get so overzealous that they lose credibility to their zeal. A tragedy in the pursuit of understanding.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat May 15, 2010 5:04 am

Gypsie wrote:True of any perspective. Some can get so entrenched that they are not willing to see any other perspective but their own and get so overzealous that they lose credibility to their zeal. A tragedy in the pursuit of understanding.
Always change your oil. Never don't change your oil.
Colin
(an understanding on my path to tragedy)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles