What's So Great About Private Health Insurance?

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:29 pm

Zing!

I'm not very knowledgable at all on the health care fight that's been going on, but the skeptic in me really doubts that we have magically gone from the health care industry stifling any real change 1 month ago to all of a sudden having this miraculous, compassionate health care reform bill surface. It seems very unlikely that it serves the public and keeps the current health care titans' wallets lined enough to appease them.

I hope I'm wrong.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:32 pm

Nope. Little will change. The wealthy have a stranglehold on us, just like it's always been.
As long as we're a world of greedy little monkeys then nothing will ever change. Perhaps by design so a select few can get sick of it and get on with the universe. Oh who the hell knows.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

yondermtn
Old School!

Post by yondermtn » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:49 pm

My provider just notified me they are pulling out of Illinois. I have to find a new provider/plan by 12/1. All of my options are obviously more expensive with less coverage.

Basically the same thing that the credit card companies are doing- squeezing every last bit out of us under the current rules.
1977 Westy 2.0FI
1990 Vanagon MV 2.1 Auto

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:52 pm

yondermtn wrote:My provider just notified me they are pulling out of Illinois. I have to find a new provider/plan by 12/1. All of my options are obviously more expensive with less coverage.

Basically the same thing that the credit card companies are doing- squeezing every last bit out of us under the current rules.
Unicare? BCBS is saying they will take everyone from Unicare, no preexisting nonsense either. BCBS is actually cheaper where I work...

yondermtn
Old School!

Post by yondermtn » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:01 pm

Yes, Unicare. BCBS will be $30 more per month for me. I think that's my best option at this point.
1977 Westy 2.0FI
1990 Vanagon MV 2.1 Auto

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:03 pm

yondermtn wrote:My provider just notified me they are pulling out of Illinois. I have to find a new provider/plan by 12/1. All of my options are obviously more expensive with less coverage.

Did you read this article in the Tribune? They say that they are no longer competitive.
By Bruce Japsen

Tribune reporter

October 29, 2009
E-mail Print Share Text Size

Just as Congress works to pass health reform that would give insurance companies tax dollars to help consumers pay for coverage, the nation's largest medical insurer said it would exit the Illinois market, leaving behind more than 180,000 customers.

WellPoint Inc., which operates locally as UniCare, said it will exit Illinois and Texas, where it has about 400,000 members, in an effort to focus on its other U.S. operations. WellPoint said the subsidiary is profitable, but "there are competitive pressures in Illinois and Texas that have made it increasingly difficult for UniCare to offer quality products that are competitively priced."

The health bill "is a moving target, and this decision is a strategic one that was made independent of any health reform legislation," WellPoint spokesman Tony Felts said. "It is a small plan competing against much larger plans and, therefore, it was increasingly difficult for us to compete in that market."

WellPoint said its Illinois UniCare customers would be guaranteed coverage if they transition to Health Care Service Corp., parent of Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois, the state's largest insurer, with more than 7 million members.

WellPoint also plans to reduce its 680-person UniCare work force in Chicago next year, but could not say how many would be let go.

There is no guarantee that UniCare members will get medical coverage at the same price after the transition. Customers will have until Dec. 1 to decide whether to accept the Blue Cross coverage -- a proposition that worries some UniCare subscribers.

"I am a UniCare customer and I've been turned down for coverage by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois before, so I'm concerned that Blue Cross will use this as an opportunity to deny coverage based on pre-existing conditions," said Ray Valek, 52, of La Grange, a writer and public relations consultant who has coverage for himself, his wife and his two daughters.

Illinois Department of Insurance Director Michael McRaith said his office took steps to address concerns, approving language in letters outlining UniCare member protections from being denied coverage. UniCare members in Illinois must choose Blue Cross under terms of its agreement to offer "replacement coverage."

"UniCare policyholders will be able to enroll in Blue Cross and pre-existing conditions will not be applied," McRaith said. "The law requires they be offered ... similar, if not identical, coverage."

There may be price differences that could cost Illinois UniCare members more should they choose Blue Cross, the state and the health plans said. They could not say what these price increases might be.

"We know these groups and individuals have a choice to accept our offer," said Pat Hemingway Hall, chief executive of Chicago-based Health Care Service. "Our goal is to make the transition as seamless as possible for UniCare policyholders. We want to earn and keep their business."

bjapsen@tribune.com
Copyright © 2009, Chicago Tribune
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

yondermtn
Old School!

Post by yondermtn » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:10 pm

I did not see that. Thank You.
1977 Westy 2.0FI
1990 Vanagon MV 2.1 Auto

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Re: What's So Great About Private Health Insurance?

Post by BellePlaine » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:31 am

So the Affordable Heath Care Act is ruled constitutional because the mandate that everyone buys heath care insurance is a tax.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:19 pm

Whereas it wouldn't be if it weren't a "tax"? That's confusing. Is my auto insurance I am mandated to buy also a "tax"?

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:39 pm

ruckman101 wrote:Whereas it wouldn't be if it weren't a "tax"? That's confusing. Is my auto insurance I am mandated to buy also a "tax"?

neal
I don't know. But I don't think so because you are not mandated to drive.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:15 am

BellePlaine wrote:
ruckman101 wrote:Whereas it wouldn't be if it weren't a "tax"? That's confusing. Is my auto insurance I am mandated to buy also a "tax"?

neal
I don't know. But I don't think so because you are not mandated to drive.
A remarkably smart move by Chief Justice Roberts, of all people?, to clear out of the "commerce" angle to mandated "purchase of services" and merely state that Congress will tax you (read: penalty).

The arguments are going to fly!!

Please keep in mind that ObamaCare is designed to rein in healthcare costs by spreading the load amongst us free-loaders who have opted not to contribute. The CBO has signed off on the savings over time.

The opposition (especially Romney) is lying their fool heads off when they claim financial ruin is on the way. Financial ruin is already here for those who have been bankrupted by unexpected medical emergencies.

I am all for us being a civilized society.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:24 am

I'm all for trying something new. When the known is failing you must forge ahead into the unknown.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:09 am

The only reason I have ever opted out on purchasing insurance has been because of lack of affordability. Even when I did have insurance, the annual cap made it fairly pointless to use for anything other than a stubbed toe.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:58 pm

ruckman101 wrote:The only reason I have ever opted out on purchasing insurance has been because of lack of affordability. Even when I did have insurance, the annual cap made it fairly pointless to use for anything other than a stubbed toe.

neal
Dear Mr. Ruckman,

After a cursory review of your application, we regret to inform you that we are unable to provide you insurance due to the prior "stubbed toe" condition listed on your application. Please avail yourself of high risk pool insurance coverage options.
"Insincerely Yours,
In$uranceR-U$
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:48 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Dear Mr. Ruckman,

After a cursory review of your application, we regret to inform you that we are unable to provide you insurance due to the prior "stubbed toe" condition listed on your application. Please avail yourself of high risk pool insurance coverage options.
"Insincerely Yours,
In$uranceR-U$
Don't forget crowbars up side the face.

"Doc it hurts when I laugh."
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.