The Changing Samba, and Colin's Departure

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Do you feel the samba has had a significant change in the last few months?

Yes
33%
Yes
33%
No
15%
No
15%
Have not noticed
2%
Have not noticed
2%

Total votes: 52

the sage
Bus Ad Archivist

The Changing Samba, and Colin's Departure

Post by the sage » Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:04 pm

I have been spending some time reading all the hoo ha on The Samba about Colin and his last post...

I am a reletive new comer to the samba, but I have seen quite a dramatic change in the last 6 months. Ratwell has all but left, and with Colin's departure, I am left wondering what value the bay forum has.

There are some decent folks over there, but some real assholes as well.

If the new mantra is "Go create your own forum" perhaps we need to be helping sluggo do just that.

There are currently 64 users on this site. I propose that we start inviting other Bay Window types to join us here, and leave the samba for Classifieds and the techincal resources.

These are just my thoughts, Colin is visiting me on Monday.

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:32 pm

The problem over there is the folks in charge are listening to the people who don't frequent the bay window forum. Just people trying to grow their e-penises.

I'll still visit, but I'll not be participating as I once did.

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:03 pm

e-penis.....that's funny! Very true in this instance. =D> That forum wasn't born over night either....If ALL of us contribute then this forum will grow in depth and value much faster and hopefully will become a more well rounded and positive social/technical meeting place for all of us. Either that or I will get fired from my job spending time here...... :-s
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:31 am

I don't know what to think. I found the samba last winter, and wish I'd found it sooner. I finally got some questions answered that my searches on the rest of the net did not enlighten. It is only recently that old and new arguments have become apparent to me. It's sad to see the community splitting and/or dropping out.

Things are very slow over there recently. I'm feeling sorry for some new folks who just showed up and are clueless why they aren't getting much advice.

Anyway, I'm missing some of ya'll.

I can be helpful to bus owners only for a few topics, so I guess I'll just go where I find questions I think I can answer. I have a background in research libraries, so I tend to think like a librarian and want to share links to resources when I am able. What else can I do? Wish I had more mechanical experience to share. My relationship to VWs is more cultural, and less technical, but I'm trying to learn. I read most of the technical discussions... the abbreviations and unfamiliar terms might make sense eventually if I read enough of it.

(just call me wordy Birdi)
71 bus, 74 westy

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:10 am

Hey Birdi, don't feel bad if you don't understand some terminology. Just ask! We'd be glad to help enlighten...

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:32 pm

Birdibus wrote:
I can be helpful to bus owners only for a few topics, so I guess I'll just go where I find questions I think I can answer.
The way I have seen it work is that you learn from those who answer you, then you answer the new posters who ask the old questions over again. Believe it or not, you learn all over again as you try to answer. It is sort of like a ladder. I am not All About Search, I like the interactions that come with the sharing of information.
The more experienced posters need not get all annoyed by the basic questions that come up, just don't answer if you don't want to. Let the intermediates give a go at it. Then you can gently correct a few details if necessary.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

the sage
Bus Ad Archivist

Post by the sage » Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:58 pm

So where is Richard Atwell these days? and Karl for that matter? Can anyone get them here?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:06 pm

the sage wrote:So where is Richard Atwell these days? and Karl for that matter? Can anyone get them here?
When a new thing is this new, a request such as this is answered with "You're Hired!"
Colin

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:12 pm

I only became active in the samba in the last 6 months but I really liked what was going on in the BWF. Recently, it seemed that the mentality from the rants began to permeate into the rest of the site. I don't want to get too philosophical here but culturally we seem to be in a place where if someone holds a different view they're mocked and ridiculed. WTF happened to discourse? Talking with those who don't share your particular outlook can be very enlightening and at times very frustrating, just like everything ELSE in life. But still it's a learning experience, or should be, for both sides. I'm glad to see this site get off the ground and hope it sticks around but it saddens me to think that what made the BWF unique is gone. Change is inevitable... you just have to get used to it. Sorry to drone on for so long. If I were to have posted this on the samba, it would be moved to rants, I'd be called every name in the book, and then told to get the F out! The "love it or leave it" mantra sucks.
-John
Keep it acoustic.

Elwood
IAC Addict!

Post by Elwood » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:26 pm

You really said it well. I was mis-quoted and deleated so many times it made me angry and sad. I really tried to find a common ground but was always put in the defensive mode. I tried to use my sarcastic sense of humor to lighten things up, but was mis understood by people I really respect. So very glad for this site but will still go to Samba for Off Road and Manx interest and classified till it gets more action over here .

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:19 am

What happened on the Samba reminds me of what happened to CB radio in the 70's, too many unsupervised kids got on and it bacame like a WWF free for all...The Rants reminded me of this, and I think people couldn't shrug off acting like that in the Rants and carried it over to all the forums they go to.
As far as people not being able to discuss things anymore, but redicule someone who opposes them, I think that might have been learned from the current GOP... I don't no how many times I have heard good hard core damaging facts argrued back by the GOP with ridicule. I think it is a sign of not having a valid argruement.... It reminds me of some kids, when they know they are in the wrong they divert to all sorts of other BS cause they don't have a leg to stand on.

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:55 am

Lord of the Flies Comes to mind.

Bill

Mr Blotto
IAC Addict!

Post by Mr Blotto » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:50 pm

The Samba has been an invaluable asset for me since I got my bus a little over a year ago, and I am greatfull for ALL of the info I have gained. However, as a novice, I do at times feel that I will get my head chopped off if I ask too stupid of a question - as with most forums, some people on them get very "brave" when typing in front of a screen.

I will continue to be a part of Samba and contribute as I can, but I think I will soon come to like this place more and more. Besides, you can get these emoticons :dshock: over at the OTHER place!!!! :smt026 :smt072 :smt076

fukengruvenoval
I'm New!

Post by fukengruvenoval » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:06 pm

Hello Everybody!

First post on this site... I admire those who were involved in setting it up.

That being said I am frustrated. I've been a Samba user for a number of years. I never visited the forums until I added a '76 Westy to the stable this year. Since then I am a regular reader and occasional poster on the bay window forums. I found the support and advice from the members of the Samba forums to be invaluable, and as Colin alludes somewhere on this board, I occasionally tried to answer some of the most common questions once I learned the answers, in order to leave the more complicated questions for the experts...

I'm sure I've reviewed a large percentage of threads on the forum and have formed my own opinions. While I don't necessarily agree with or understand Colin's departure I must say the forum on the other site just isn't the same. In fact, for all intents and purposes it is dead.

So, am I happy this site now exists as an important resource for Bay Window enthusiasts? Yes! However, in all honesty I wish there was never a reason for this forum to be set up...

Rant over.

Moving forward if there is anything I can do to help, let me know!
1976 Westfalia - "The Lime"
1972 Super Beetle - "The Lemon"
1966 Single Cab - "The Schmidty Splitty"
1965 Type 1 - "Junkyard Herbie"
1956 Type 1 - "The Crown Jewel"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:00 pm

fukengruvenoval wrote:Hello Everybody!
in all honesty I wish there was never a reason for this forum to be set up...
Moving forward if there is anything I can do to help, let me know!
I agree with you about the surface rationale for starting up this forum, but there is also promise and possibility when you start anew, small and flexible and listening closely to what people want. If theSamba is General Motors, then we are Volkswagen AG circa 1950. General Motors paid no attention to Volkswagen's beginnings, that noisy "different" little car was considered a damn joke. They decided VW was doomed to fail because they did not understand it so they made fun of it. But the unassuming quality won over people slowly but surely. One day, General Motors realized they were losing market share. . .
What you can do to help is to participate O:)
Colin