Speaking of Hypocrites

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:30 am

I work @ the Marin County "Farmer's Market" on Sundays. "F.M." is in quotes because it is more of an overpriced yuppie flea market that farmers market, but that is what they call it.

It is ground zero for the type of lefty hypocrites that the Republicans so often demonize. VDubyah, you know what I am talking about. The yuppie soccer moms who drive hybrids and bitch about the environment, but drive said hybrid back and forth between soccer practices 19 times a day, even though the soccer field is a block from the house. Bitch about inequality in the world then whip out the VISA to buy all sorts of overprices bricabrac and $15 a piece French sausages and $8 a pint Ice Cream and teach the children how to pair fine cheeses with the right bread and fruit @ age 6. Hold big charity fund raisers just so they can congratulate eachother on how charitable they are. My favorite is that they buy only "organic" crap without knowing what they are actually buying. Always with a empty, starry look in the eyes the ask "Is this bread Organic?" Yes, it is carbon-based is usually my reply...

:geek: Sunday is the one day a week I feel like a Republican... (sorta)
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:38 pm

Hey DJ, nothing wrong with organic food. I try to feed my family nothing but. Yea I know it's a bit more expensive but buying it isn't sending me to the poor house yet. The crap that's passed off as food these days I wouldn't even feed to my dogs. I like it to actually taste like food. I know exactly what you're saying about the soccer mom set. I went to school with alot of their kids. I'll never understand why just because someone has a few more bills than the rest they feel it's an entitlement to be an asshole.
-John
Keep it acoustic.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:10 pm

DjEep wrote:. The yuppie soccer moms who drive hybrids
They drive Volvo's mostly in these parts. Mostly childless yuppies w/ the hybrids. Where's the Volvo hybrid?

People as a mass are pretty dumb. Yet when you really engage people one on one, you get a sense of an inner life. Working in retail, even a FM sucks.

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:09 pm

I have no problem with wanting to eat healthy, natural foods, but the people here are just ridiculous! I'm selling incredibly delicious, gourmet breads and patries made from natural flour, yeast, sea salt and real local butter, but many people refuse to buy it because we don't have a flashy sign that says "All Organic." (a small, but noticeable percentage)

Signs don't mean shit to me, taste does. I can taste the quality in our breads, the "organic" breads at the market taste like cowpies. French people have been eating stuff like ours for centuries and the country doesn't look anything like our fat asses.

And these people are paying through the nose for shit that cost pennys to produce because it is hip. The french sausage guy actually makes more sales when he raises prices, then laughs about it to us.
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:21 pm

DjEep wrote:
Signs don't mean shit to me, taste does.

Taste is in short supply.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:25 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
DjEep wrote:
Signs don't mean shit to me, taste does.

Taste is in short supply.
Colin
It would be one thing if they were informed and buying this stuff because they were trying to make informed decisions. More so, I get the feeling that "Organic" and all the fancy ingredients are just labels that are in fashion. When I was in junior high all the girls wanted Guess Jeans, didn't matter if they looked like shit in Guess Jeans, they had to have them. Things don't change much.

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:29 pm

chitwnvw wrote: It would be one thing if they were informed and buying this stuff because they were trying to make informed decisions. More so, I get the feeling that "Organic" and all the fancy ingredients are just labels that are in fashion. When I was in junior high all the girls wanted Guess Jeans, didn't matter if they looked like shit in Guess Jeans, they had to have them. Things don't change much.
exactly!

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:55 pm

It would be one thing if they were informed and buying this stuff because they were trying to make informed decisions. More so, I get the feeling that "Organic" and all the fancy ingredients are just labels that are in fashion. When I was in junior high all the girls wanted Guess Jeans, didn't matter if they looked like shit in Guess Jeans, they had to have them. Things don't change much.
I think you just described the way the political system functions in a nutshell.
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:56 pm

Where's the emoticon for shooting yourself in the head?

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:37 pm

For what it's worth I do consider myself aware of more than just the label 'Organic". I don't want to eat genetically engineered food. I avoid high fructose corn syrup, our bodies don't even know what to do with that shit. Why do you think obesity and diabeties rates continue to skyrocket? I don't like eating meat that's infused with growth hormones and antibiotics. If I can I prefer to buy locally produced products. Better for my community and better for the enviroment. Less transportation = less impact. Granted I live in a community that has embraced the concept of good food being good for you. I'm lucky for that. And yes, I can taste the difference.
-John
Keep it acoustic.

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:13 pm

LiveonJG wrote:And yes, I can taste the difference.
-John
Ever tasted Costco chicken? :vom: ::hangman::
Over grown pumped up sponge.

Emily's Owner
Old School!

Post by Emily's Owner » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:34 pm

DjEep wrote:French people have been eating stuff like ours for centuries and the country doesn't look anything like our fat asses.
The French eat in moderation, do not generally supersize anything, have their main meal at midday, and take their time to enjoy it.........
Margaret

Lead me not into temptation...... Oh hell, who are we kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut.

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:29 am

There's a quote that's helped me keep from being too surprised over all kinds of stuff in the news, the country, and the world.

"Never underestimate the power of human stupidity."

It's especially applicable when large groups of humans are involved.
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:35 am

A lot of the American obesity epidemic is due to our infrastructure: since the 50s everything has been laid out car-centric. Gone are the close knit, walkable communities. You have to drive everywhere by design. Modern! Convenient! Fat-ass-inducing! What the hell happened in the 50s? Everybody seems to have lost their marbles, and we're still feeling the reprocussions. I guess after a war and a depression, everybody wanted to be numb and insulated...

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:11 pm

What drives me crazy are the people who are buying these new homes miles out in the burbs obstensibly to be "out in the country" then complain the coyotes are going to eat their poodle and the deer are eating the daffodils.