I've got to admit, this is very interesting...

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

I've got to admit, this is very interesting...

Post by LiveonJG » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:49 am

Times like these I wish I was still in school. To have time to devote to the study of what's currently going on here. If anyone out there is a student of either psychology or sociology, we have an amazing opportunity before us. I'm speaking of what happened on the Samba and now what's happening on this site. It provides a wonderful insight into this ever growing and evolving internet society that we are all participating in. Specifically this small but vocal group of ranters that have decided to join us. In no way am I advocating that they should leave, they're far to fascinating. The internet (or nets) provides a laboratory like condition to study human nature. Take some of these ranters for instance, R.B.P., in particular, here's someone who claims to be on a quest for truth and justice, yet lacks the courage to even use their username from the Samba. Sorry, that makes it pretty hard to take you seriously. He's hardly the only one. Why is it necessary to even further hide in the anonymity of the internet? How about using avatars that belong to someone else? Or lurking with your old avatar then finally coming forward once you feel it's safe? You can tell a lot about a person by the way they communicate. So far we've seen this self congratulatory circle jerk migrate from the Samba to the IAC. What's going to happen next? Life is unpredictable, even though most people really aren't. I'm just going to sit back and watch for now. It's really kind of fun.
:happy1:
-John
Keep it acoustic.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: I've got to admit, this is very interesting...

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:07 pm

LiveonJG wrote:
If anyone out there is a student of either psychology or sociology, we have an amazing opportunity before us.
It provides a wonderful insight into this ever growing and evolving internet society that we are all participating in.
I had a PM correspondence this morning with a member here that touched on this very issue.
I am processing some deep need for understanding or something. I remain engaged "longer than necessary" with these "fools" because I have harvested some wonderful long-lasting friendships with people who challenged me sorely in the beginning.
I did not have the opportunity to prevail past the attacks on theSamba because threads kept being deleted before I had a chance to break through.
This is similar to the work I did with troubled kids. I do have limits, trust me, and I will not allow the forum to get too contaminated with nonsense that is going nowhere. But right now, it is worth it to me to try to feel out what the underlying motive is in this hatefulness thing. It is similar to the divisive political climate we live in. And in this political climate, we cannot afford to just circle the wagons and keep the troublemakers out. As we must understand terrorists, we also must understand neo-con attack republicans, and we must understand the troubled kids that come out of our own families.
I get bored with preaching to the choir, that's why I am always out front getting my ass in trouble
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

sailorkh
Addicted!

Post by sailorkh » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:41 pm

I think your absolutely right. If you really have a legitimate question, why hide? The BWF over at TheSamba was just too diverse to keep it technical all the time. When the "Powers That Be" just couldn't handle that they said, and quite a few times," If you don't like it start your own site". So that happened, and still there are some negative folks who just can't let go. So with the anonymity of the Internet, they hide behind there ciber mommas skirt and think there all dat. I guess I'm just getting older now, but when I went to school we had a word for folks like that......cowards. If you can't speak your mind without hiding behind your mothers skirt, what else does that make you? It is interesting, sad really, but very interesting that people with the same interests,.ACVW's, would resort to this kind of behavior.
Kris
1971 Deluxe "Ole blue"
1978 Westfalia "Gretchen"
1966 Cal40 "Viva"

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:52 pm

It's ironic but I think the anger is a direct response to the technology. It's dehumanizing to "speak" through a keyboard, most of the subtle nuances of communication dissappear and we're forced to compensate with emoticons :dontknow: . This same technology further isolates us from each other and even points out how insicnificant each of us can be, just a lone voice lost in a sea of digital data. Anger is a natural result. Since we can't SHOUT on the internet, the only way to make a splash is to stir things up. Add to this a pack mentality, and here we are. Lord of the Flies has been mentioned and I think that's quite accurate. It's exactly what we're seeing play out. For the most part it's self perpetuating so it will be interesting to see how long it takes to run its course.
-John
Keep it acoustic.

amishman
Addicted!

Post by amishman » Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:24 pm

Have you ever known the types that unless there is turmoil going on in their lives, they do not feel like they are living. They seem to create the turmoil everyday, just so they feel like they are alive and kicking. Kind of like teenage angst is the way I see it. You here teenagers talking "like", you know Becky was "like" so POed at Ben and "like", they got in this big fight and "like". :blackeye:

It is "like" air to breath with for them. One day they grow up and understand not everything in life has to be a big rant session to get by and have a productive happy day. I managed people before that it just seemed they lived off of sarcasm and without it, they felt unloved or something. At the lunch table they would always be the center of attention and sarcasm was the game. Everyone ripping into the others. Rants can be fun, but there is a point you need to fill that with something more productive and get something done for the day.

Just a couple cents to throw in. :cyclopsani:

tj
--------------------------------------------------
"As smart as I can be, the dumber I can become."

tj (the amishman)

Visit my web site if you can.
http://www.vwhippie.com

Come see more pictures and videos of my rides at!
http://www.flixya.com/user/amishman

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:48 pm

But right now, it is worth it to me to try to feel out what the underlying motive is in this hatefulness thing
yeah..being that there is no discernable susbstance in their rants, i concluded that their motivation was to gain attention, even if it meant engaging conflict and that they have honed that talent over the years, finding temporary high in stirring up shit in desperate attempt to fill the void

..and then i asked myself...why do i even go there to read it when i already know it is devoid of substance? I guess the same thing that makes people want to look at the corpse...see something that will disgust them, 'smell the fart' so to speak. I know that pushing them away merely gives them further fuel...opposition and conflict is their only fuel. Maybe when starved of material, they will turn on each other and cannibalize like pirahnas in a fishbowl
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

DeathBus
I'm New!

Post by DeathBus » Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:26 pm

Its great that so many people can get so much entertainment from a bunch of guys getting mad and leaving a forum. I think you guys should suck it up and go back to the SAMBA.
Who really cares who said or did what, screw it. If Colin wants to throw his best source of itenerary away by getting his panties in a wad, and taking his football and going home, just because someone set some rules down, then thats pretty sad. EVERYONE in this situation should act like an ADULT, get over it, and move along.

lovemybus
Getting Hooked!

Post by lovemybus » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:17 pm

DeathBus wrote:Its great that so many people can get so much entertainment from a bunch of guys getting mad and leaving a forum. I think you guys should suck it up and go back to the SAMBA.
Who really cares who said or did what, screw it. If Colin wants to throw his best source of itenerary away by getting his panties in a wad, and taking his football and going home, just because someone set some rules down, then thats pretty sad. EVERYONE in this situation should act like an ADULT, get over it, and move along.
If a government starts telling you what you can say, when you can say it, who you can say it to, and where you can say it to them- you think the best solution is to just sit down and say ok?

I think all the "KEY" people involved here are acting like adults, have been over it, and have moved on.

Instead of saying his panties are in a wad, why dont you respect the decision he has made. Understand many people at the Samba were saying if you want to talk non tech, get your own forum. He did. Whats the problem? I dont understand?
Long live the VW Buses...
LoveMyBus.com

amishman
Addicted!

Post by amishman » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:55 pm

lovemybus wrote:
DeathBus wrote:Its great that so many people can get so much entertainment from a bunch of guys getting mad and leaving a forum. I think you guys should suck it up and go back to the SAMBA.
If a government starts telling you what you can say, when you can say it, who you can say it to, and where you can say it to them- you think the best solution is to just sit down and say ok?

I think all the "KEY" people involved here are acting like adults, have been over it, and have moved on.

Instead of saying his panties are in a wad, why dont you respect the decision he has made. Understand many people at the Samba were saying if you want to talk non tech, get your own forum. He did. Whats the problem? I dont understand?
What cracks me up is most of the ranters over at the samba acted like they were tired of reading our messages and basically asking us to take a hike, we do not want you around, then these new forums start up per their recommendation, and some of the ranters are now coming over here. If they so badly wanted us to STFU and get outta dodge, why are they coming over here? They have some serious screws loose. They must be just playing games or really drank of this koolaid and actually like it, just do not want to admit it.

I think they are admitting they like what was being discussed by Colin by coming over here. They just do not want their friends to think so. This way they still think they are cool and all. Like a moped, fun to drive, but no one wants to be seen on one. :drunken:

tj
--------------------------------------------------
"As smart as I can be, the dumber I can become."

tj (the amishman)

Visit my web site if you can.
http://www.vwhippie.com

Come see more pictures and videos of my rides at!
http://www.flixya.com/user/amishman

DeathBus
I'm New!

Post by DeathBus » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:22 am

lovemybus wrote:

You forget the SAMBA is a privately run forum, if the mods do things you dont like, oh well. Its called following the rules and getting on. If you think this is a way to further the "Bay Window Community" I believe you are mistaken. How many Bay Window owners are really here? Face it, the Samba is where EVERYONE is at, I by no means am saying "Shut this forum down", what I am saying is, OPEN your eyes, clear your mind of what is angering you about the Samba, and decide whats best. I could give a shit less what anyone does to me on a forum, it isnt real. If you get all butt hurt because someone wont let you RANT in a tech forum, or do what you WANT to do, then its best that you dont go back.

I am known as a RANTER, but I bet most of you didnt know I also OWN A BAY WINDOW BUS, my viewpoints and blah blah blah are better for the RANTS than they are for the BAY WINDOW Bus forum.

Would you like for me to run around the BAY WINDOW forum posting BOOBS! and all the other crazy shit I talk??????

If and when I go to the forum it's usually about a tech response or a question, and if i ever posted a rant style post in a tech thread, guess what? It got moved OR deleted. THATS WHAT THE MODS DO.

If you want to "further the BAY WINDOW community" its up to you, you can either HELP those who post in the Bay forum on the SAMBA or you can just fade away.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:24 am

DeathBus wrote:
You forget the SAMBA is a privately run forum, if the mods do things you dont like, oh well.

If you think this is a way to further the "Bay Window Community" I believe you are mistaken.

Face it, the Samba is where EVERYONE is at,
Exactly.
This is America. Ya don't like the mousetrap, build a better one.

This is America, you may disagree with us but the dialogue will be protected regardless.

This is America, EVERYONE bought these big ol' trashy flashy cars when VW arrived at these shores. Then. . . . they didn't.
Colin
(welcome, what year and model bay bus do you have?)

DeathBus
I'm New!

Post by DeathBus » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:30 am

Amskeptic wrote:
DeathBus wrote:
You forget the SAMBA is a privately run forum, if the mods do things you dont like, oh well.

If you think this is a way to further the "Bay Window Community" I believe you are mistaken.

Face it, the Samba is where EVERYONE is at,
Exactly.
This is America. Ya don't like the mousetrap, build a better one.

This is America, you may disagree with us but the dialogue will be protected regardless.

This is America, EVERYONE bought these big ol' trashy flashy cars when VW arrived at these shores. Then. . . . they didn't.
Colin
(welcome, what year and model bay bus do you have?)
79, 7
72, Riviera
62 Standard
63 Beetle

You never really answered how you are going to get the 1000's of Bay Owners that surf the SAMBA to come here. EVEN if you dont like the mods, Everett or whoever, does it really benefit you not to post there?

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:45 pm

It's allright man. I just don't like to eat old fish, it tastes funny and makes me ill. Somepeople like it, this isn't a moral issue.
It's a hobby wesite! It's really not that important. I've made some cool connections over the years, and I've not made connections. It's all the same. Sometimes it's best to put things in perspective and leave the dark tunnel of 01010101 for the light of day.
Besides, I'd rather go where there's a few cool folks, not to Old Faithful to stand among the crowd for it's hourly erruption. I guess everything has it's purpose/place. Mine, unfortunately, is behind the Mink Barn.
I think everybody here and there that keep milking this silliness are bored out of their minds. :geek:
Let the good times roll!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:48 am

DeathBus wrote: You never really answered how you are going to get the 1000's of Bay Owners that surf the SAMBA to come here. EVEN if you dont like the mods, Everett or whoever, does it really benefit you not to post there?
I not corral anyone come to here. I build field of dream, and see who come to play ball. :alien:
Colin

static
IAC Addict!

Post by static » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:48 pm

It is not just all about Colin. Some of us have been into the VW scene much, much longer than Colin or Everett. A lot longer.

This is the VW bus community.

A Samba moderator decided that it would arbitrarily apply the rules in an uneven manner. This is disingenuous and shortsighted. The Bay Window forum is now "tech only", except when it is not, which is now. (Check it out today, for example)

Personally, if I wanted a "Tech Only" forum, I would look to Type2.com, not to The Samba. The Samba is a private site. There is no option to vote, except with our feet.

The whole situation is sad.