A suggestion for those tired of the shit stirrers

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:15 pm

DurocShark wrote:Yep. There's a difference between debate and insult.

There's a difference between posting an obscene and disgusting photo and posting a political (or other) opinion.
Yes there is a difference. Thats why I made the point of not making it personal either. You can disagree all you want, but when it devolves into name calling and personal attacks, even bringing loved ones into it, it ought to be locked, edited or deleted. There is no need of that shit. It's juvenile,it's what drove most of us away from TheSamba. TheSamba is still a decent site for tech, but you have to be a friggen english major to post a question and choose your words carefully to avoid hidden meaning or your topic will derail like a highspeed train wreck.

Bill

A suggestion for Sluggo. Maybe a report button so that if an innappropriate post pops up it can be reported then you don't have to go through so many posts to keep an eye on things. I dunno just sayin'.

Bill

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:37 pm

IIRC, a report button is a built-in option in phpbb... Good idea.

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:39 pm

DurocShark wrote:IIRC, a report button is a built-in option in phpbb... Good idea.
I don't see it as an option in admin config. I look around the PHPBB site and see if I can find it.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:41 pm

Sluggo wrote:
DurocShark wrote:IIRC, a report button is a built-in option in phpbb... Good idea.
I don't see it as an option in admin config. I look around the PHPBB site and see if I can find it.
I could be wrong, so don't waste too much time looking. I've worked with a dozen different boards over the years so I could be thinking of another...

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:39 pm

vdubyah73 wrote:
DurocShark wrote:Yep. There's a difference between debate and insult.

There's a difference between posting an obscene and disgusting photo and posting a political (or other) opinion.
Yes there is a difference. Thats why I made the point of not making it personal either. You can disagree all you want, but when it devolves into name calling and personal attacks, even bringing loved ones into it, it ought to be locked, edited or deleted. There is no need of that shit. It's juvenile,it's what drove most of us away from TheSamba. TheSamba is still a decent site for tech, but you have to be a friggen english major to post a question and choose your words carefully to avoid hidden meaning or your topic will derail like a highspeed train wreck.
Well said Bill....I think part of the 'fun' is trying to convey your (our) thoughts via script that still hold up and have the same value and intention that they would if you were speaking to someone in person. Of course, a group of mature and dynamic folks helps the cause tremendously.
vdubyah73 wrote: A suggestion for Sluggo. Maybe a report button so that if an innappropriate post pops up it can be reported then you don't have to go through so many posts to keep an eye on things. I dunno just sayin'.

Bill
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:54 am

spiffy wrote:
Well said Bill....I think part of the 'fun' is trying to convey your (our) thoughts via script that still hold up and have the same value and intention that they would if you were speaking to someone in person. Of course, a group of mature and dynamic folks helps the cause tremendously.
I would hold off on the "report button" until it is deemed necessary.
The flavor of this site will likely bore the juveniles.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:23 am

Kinda like good beer.
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:39 am

DjEep wrote:Kinda like good beer.

Bush Light is very good beer.....I know no one will agree with me so I will just take your share :partyman:

I can and do appreciate 'real' beer though!! Always been a sucker for a good Hefeweizen. :thumbleft:
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:49 am

Don't worry spiffy, we all have our guilty pleasures. :drunken:
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:47 pm

spiffy wrote:Bush Light is very good beer
:sad11:
Keep it acoustic.

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:09 pm

spiffy wrote:Bush Light is very good beer.....
::dradioactive:: And you live in the NW. For shame. :geek:
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:47 pm

Westy78 wrote:
:drunken: and don't forget the champagne of beers...Miller High Life baby!!! Strangely enough I don't like Nascar and I have all my teeph and I live on a paved road.

I do love all beer though and love the variety up here in the NW....I am just a cheap, cheap bastard....6 pack of 16oz Millers....$4.00 :occasion5:
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:58 pm

spiffy wrote:
Westy78 wrote:
:drunken: and don't forget the champagne of beers...Miller High Life baby!!! Strangely enough I don't like Nascar and I have all my teeph and I live on a paved road.

I do love all beer though and love the variety up here in the NW....I am just a cheap, cheap bastard....6 pack of 16oz Millers....$4.00 :occasion5:
That's it, I can't take this anymore. Just for that I'm going to the Lab for a real beer. Is there a single wide at the end of that paved road? :joker:
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:12 pm

Westy78 wrote:
spiffy wrote:
Westy78 wrote:

That's it, I can't take this anymore. Just for that I'm going to the Lab for a real beer. Is there a single wide at the end of that paved road? :joker:

LOL..I need to come down to the Lab one of these times....I could take a tuesday off or something and just crash in the bus. :sleepy3:
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:34 pm

spiffy wrote:
Bush Light is very good beer.....I know no one will agree with...
I like Busch Light, although it's gotta be good and cold. Does that mean I am no one??? :pale: