What types of music do you listen to?

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

What types of music do you listen to?

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:17 pm

What music do you listen to?
I like the Grateful Dead, Jerry Garcia Band, String Cheese Incident. I like fusion jazz, especially late 60's-early 70's Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock.
I also like "space music" and there is a very good webcast show on Saturday mornings at 2AM Eastern Time called "Beyond the Barriers". Here is the link to the website:
http://www.muhlenberg.edu/cultural/wmuh/
I don't really like Phish, I actually think they kinda suck. I also think the same about the Dave Matthews Band.
Does anyone else have any band they like or music they like to listen to in their bus? Any other good webcasts to check out?
Thanks.

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:50 pm

I'm into early, traditional Ska & Reggae. Prince Buster, Alton Ellis, Skatalites, Toots & The Maytals.... + Blues, 60's Soul and good old fashioned PUNK. Dead Kennedys, Fugazi, Subhumans. Not this Blink 182 crap that passes for punk today.

As a rule, I hate Hippies and their music. That being said, 90% of my best friends are Hippies.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

busboy
I'm New!

Post by busboy » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:01 pm

I followed the Dead all over the place... sellin' veggi burritos and beer to make the next show. When Jerry died... the music died.
I like 'em Bay!

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:17 am

80's metal mostly, with some 60's, 70's and modern KROQ crap thrown in.

(NO EMO!!!)

;)

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:18 am

Sluggo wrote:I'm into early, traditional Ska & Reggae. Prince Buster, Alton Ellis, Skatalites, Toots & The Maytals.... + Blues, 60's Soul and good old fashioned PUNK. Dead Kennedys, Fugazi, Subhumans. Not this Blink 182 crap that passes for punk today.

As a rule, I hate Hippies and their music. That being said, 90% of my best friends are Hippies.
Blink 182 isn't punk. That crap cracks me up. I always thought of it as just silly.

Adventurewagen
IAC Addict!

Post by Adventurewagen » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:37 pm

I'm still stuck in the 90's.

Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice n Chains, STP, Candlebox, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Metallica, Pantera, white zombie, tool...

Flannel shirts never went out of style... Right??? 8-[
63 Gulf Blue Notch
71 Sierra Yellow Adventurewagen
DjEep wrote:Velo? Are you being "over-run"? Do you need to swim through a sea of Mexican anchor-babies to get to your bus in the morning?
:wav:

God's Grace
I'm New!

Post by God's Grace » Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:28 pm

All types, from grunge to Ethiopian chants, world music to classical to Pink Floyd to three guys beating on plastic drums on a street corner . Least favorite are Rap and Opera.
1973 Westfalia

bedubs veedub
I'm New!

Post by bedubs veedub » Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:50 am

Adventurewagen wrote:I'm still stuck in the 90's.

Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice n Chains, STP, Candlebox, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Metallica, Pantera, white zombie, tool...

Flannel shirts never went out of style... Right??? 8-[
not if your in seattle ;-)

dig the classic dead, dylan, young.. also into hiphop/rap.. but not the chart toppers.. the stuff you dont hear on the radio. FUCK CLEAR CHANNEL!!!
i like the blues, jazz, folk.. the goods.
73 Westy Campmobile

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:49 am

Tough one. I'd have a much easier time (and shorter post) with what I don't or won't listen to .. which basically boils down to What Passes For Country These Days (give me Hank Williams Sr./Jr., Willie, Cash, Coe .. *real* country), Hiphop/rap/disco, and any of the manufactured "stars" we've been subjected to over the last 20 years.

Guest, I'm with you 1000% on Dave Matthews. Massively overrated, and extremely annoying. Someday I'd like to have a time machine .. take care of Mr. Matthews before he records a single song.

I'm open to most anything, but still selective about it. Regardless of the "genre" label, crap is crap. I like good music. I don't like crap. :-)

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:56 am

tristessa wrote:Tough one. I'd have a much easier time (and shorter post) with what I don't or won't listen to .. which basically boils down to What Passes For Country These Days (give me Hank Williams Sr./Jr., Willie, Cash, Coe .. *real* country), Hiphop/rap/disco, and any of the manufactured "stars" we've been subjected to over the last 20 years.

Guest, I'm with you 1000% on Dave Matthews. Massively overrated, and extremely annoying. Someday I'd like to have a time machine .. take care of Mr. Matthews before he records a single song.

I'm open to most anything, but still selective about it. Regardless of the "genre" label, crap is crap. I like good music. I don't like crap. :-)
I'm definitely not a Country fan. But I do like Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Patsy Cline and Marty Robbins.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:27 pm

Sluggo wrote: I'm definitely not a Country fan. But I do like Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Patsy Cline and Marty Robbins.
That's part of why I tried to differentiate "Country" from "What Passes For Country These Days" in my post. :-) There's a big, big difference.

Side note: I was listening to both NOFX and Bach on the drive home from work today. The drive *to* was accompanied by Apocalyptica (Plays Metallica), and one of David Allan Coe's outlaw album. "Pussy Whipped Again" is such a fun song. =D>

MidWesty
Getting Hooked!

Post by MidWesty » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:51 pm

Everything but rap. I was brought up in a house full of bluegrass and Grateful Dead. As far back as I can remember there was always music in my house and at family outings. Maybe it's a Kentucky thing. lol!
I have to disagree with ya'll on the Dave Matthews thing though. In his early college days he was really on it. Even his new stuff is well written but I do agree that he unfortunately got away from what he stood for and has bloated into yet another money machine. As far as music his bandmates are extremely talented musicians. Unfortunately they seem to cater to 14 year old girls though now. Just my .02 though.
It's funny because as a younger man I went through every type of music possible and now at 34 I've gone full circle and find I enjoy what I was brought up on the most. :-k Parents must have been on to something.
"Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right."

'78 Rivi
'63 Ragtop
'73 Double cab (for sale)

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:30 pm

Highwaymen.....nuff said.

Local group called the Tall boys

Any orchestral brass section with huge balls.

To name a couple...
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:37 pm

Most everything but hip hop, rap and country, sorry, even the old stuff. Musically things went pretty dark for me in 94. Difficult times to say the least. String Cheese Incident really brought me back. A friend said they were just like going home but finding the furniture rearranged. Since then I've jumped headfirst into the "jamband scene". Hot Buttered Rum String Band is IMHO is one of the finest bands around. Garaj Mahal, Yonder Mountain(NW String Summit is less than two weeks away!!!), and lots of blues, Lightning Hopkins, Junior Wells, Otis Spahn and many more to round things out. Of course I still listen to JGB and the Dead too.
-John
BTW what does this emoticon mean? :smt117
Keep it acoustic.

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:35 pm

I like good 60's and 70's rock - post-acid beatles (Tommorow Never Knows was unreal for its time), zep, zappa, early ozzy, hendrix, list goes on, those are the standards... oh yeah, and all sorts of other cocaine/acid/heroin induced music from that time period.

Butt Rock makes work fun!

90's rock is the music of my angsty years so it is good for remembering my teenaged shenanegins. Tool is definately the best band to arise from that decade. And one of the few to survive it.

Bluegrass Kicks Ass!

Reggae makes it easy to relax on a sunny day.

Underground hiphop/jazz/turntablism is cool, Gangsta/Bling/GetStupid/Hify shit isn't.

Good "electronic" music ala psytrance, dnb, chillout, ambient etc. is great, most of it is not.

Of course i've learned that most of the music in all of those categories is horrible... You just have to keep digging. And find something good in all types music.
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?