George HW Bush, A Great American

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Abscate
Getting Hooked!

George HW Bush, A Great American

Post by Abscate » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:24 am

Two preamble points
1 I did not vote for GHWB, and probably still would not have today.
2 Out of respect for him, no present day politics to be discussed in this topic.

I refuse to call his Generation the 'G..." Generation because the challenges of each are different and cannot be compared.

His record in the Tx legislature was one of moderation, getting the Birchers out of the mainstream Republican Party, supporting the civil rights act of 1968, and was pro-choice.

During the period 1988-1992, he oversaw a huge upheaval in world wide politics, but his experience in Foreign Affairs had taught him not to grandstand and thump chests, but to make sure the world landed on its feet. I think few people really know how badly the collapse of the USSR could have gone.

Most educated people in Germany regard GWHB as the Father of Modern Germany. He had a much better track record there than his predecessors post WWI.

Arguably, the tax hikes he implemented, which 'cost' him the 1992 election, led to the first balanced budget in decades, and none since. Clinton got credit by virtue of being in office, but the seeds were planted by GHWB

Mr President,

I respectfully disagree with you on some issues.

I salute you, Sir, for your service to the World, and for leaving it a better place.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: George HW Bush, A Great American

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:02 am

Abscate wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:24 am
Two preamble points
1 I did not vote for GHWB, and probably still would not have today.
2 Out of respect for him, no present day politics to be discussed in this topic.

Mr President,
I respectfully disagree with you on some issues.
I salute you, Sir, for your service to the World, and for leaving it a better place.

Out of respect for him, I SHALL bring up present day politics as a point of comparison to a man who conducted himself with humility, grace, empathy, intelligence, humor, and class.

May we find our way back.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Abscate
Getting Hooked!

Post by Abscate » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:43 am

Out of respect for him, I SHALL bring up present day politics as a point of comparison to a man who conducted himself with humility, grace, empathy, intelligence, humor, and class.
You left off more good qualities but its a good start.

=D> =D>

Seriously, it does feel good to talk good about the "other side", today.

Watching W in Sixty Minutes, I felt a lot better about him too - probably a decent man who got some bad people around him (Cheney, Rumfeld) and who started a really, really, bad 'war'.

Back to GHWB - Rest in Peace, Mr President. I hope you are with Barbara

zabo
Old School!

Post by zabo » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:34 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io9KMSSEZ0Y

I don't remember him as fondly. Sure better when compared to his son and trump..
60 beetle
78 bus

Abscate
Getting Hooked!

Post by Abscate » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:45 pm

GHWB was pretty quick to say the Willie Horton ad went over the line.

Look, he wasn’t a Saint. Everyone in Government has been a party to despicable things done in our name and against the Constitution. I do believe there was a man of good character here, who fought to make the country better.

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:14 pm

While I try not to speak ill of the dead, I am not ok with this blind adoration, for lack of a better term, for what was a shitty President. My intent is not to impinge upon the man but to point out how far we have fallen. This was the “Read my lips” guy for f’s sake! I know we are witnessing the biggest shit show in a long time but come on, keep it in perspective.
Keep it acoustic.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:58 pm

LiveonJG wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:14 pm
While I try not to speak ill of the dead, I am not ok with this blind adoration, for lack of a better term, for what was a shitty President. My intent is not to impinge upon the man but to point out how far we have fallen. This was the “Read my lips” guy for f’s sake! I know we are witnessing the biggest shit show in a long time but come on, keep it in perspective.

"Read my lips" was just a dumb moment. I personally like the fact that he walked it back at great political cost but for the good of the nation. Where does the good of the nation even come up in the current climate?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Abscate
Getting Hooked!

Post by Abscate » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:20 am

The balanced budget under Clinton had its origins in the GHWB tax policy. The same people who voted him out on taxes squeal like pigs about deficits, unless they are Republican deficits which don’t count.

Doing what was right for the country on taxes, even when political suicide, spoke to his character.

A shitty President? Hardly. Much better than Ronnie, Billie, or Bush Jr.