Insanity, end of the world, etc.

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Spezialist

Re: Insanity, end of the world, etc.

Post by Spezialist » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:31 pm

I have to not ignore so I can hear solutions to voice them. My engine has certainl requirements to function effectively. While not wanting to scare them over the cliff, we need to keep them at the ready.
So the can back away from it.

hippiewannabe
Old School!

Post by hippiewannabe » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:22 pm

Spezialist wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:50 pm
quote; Hippiewannabe,"And if Peak Oil or whatever knocks a few points of GDP, we'll still be fine."
and there from 13 years ago, is the tell. on page three of this thread.
the fact that this thread was right before the 08 collapse because of oil prices, isn't lost on me.
Spezialist wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:58 pm
Covertly he totally stepped over his own “tell” from years ago.
The doubt you expressed is so huge it even scares you today
What exactly are you trying to say here?

I called the bubble, and predicted the recession. Recessions are part of the deal. Not painless, but we are fine. We'll also be fine when the pandemic is over, which is not to say we couldn't have done much better.

We know you are deep and spiritual, you don't have to rub it in. If you have any desire to enlighten a chowder head like me, you'll need to speak in simple, declarative sentences.
Truth is like poetry.
And most people fucking hate poetry.

Spezialist

Post by Spezialist » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:35 am

hippiewannabe wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:22 pm
Spezialist wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:50 pm
quote; Hippiewannabe,"And if Peak Oil or whatever knocks a few points of GDP, we'll still be fine."
and there from 13 years ago, is the tell. on page three of this thread.
the fact that this thread was right before the 08 collapse because of oil prices, isn't lost on me.
Spezialist wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:58 pm
Covertly he totally stepped over his own “tell” from years ago.
The doubt you expressed is so huge it even scares you today
What exactly are you trying to say here?

I called the bubble, and predicted the recession. Recessions are part of the deal. Not painless, but we are fine. We'll also be fine when the pandemic is over, which is not to say we couldn't have done much better.

We know you are deep and spiritual, you don't have to rub it in. If you have any desire to enlighten a chowder head like me, you'll need to speak in simple, declarative sentences.
A simple declarative statement to the post I have quoted would resemble my previous responses to you in this very thread.
Here it is>>> you have conveniently turned the discussion of the topic
To an argument of semantics. In other words, a strawman<<< got it?
I now have the choice to repeat myself or continue to beat you over the head with your own choice of discussion.
Oh wait I already did that. On both accounts, that anyone else in the English speaking world can understand.
I guess kick rocks to the ts for willing able neophytes, hurry before it tanks!

hippiewannabe
Old School!

Post by hippiewannabe » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:36 pm

Bullshit.

You are the one who completely ignored the numbers that proved your facts are wrong, and zeroed in a peripheral topic to try to distract from the main point.

Which is:

The Peak Oil thesis was and continues to be bogus.

I spent a lot of time patiently trying to educate you and others in a respectful fashion. Now let me be blunt. It's wishful thinking by people who are either too stubborn to accept or too stupid to understand the simple, immutable laws of economics. It's unclear which category you fall in to, but those are the only choices.
Truth is like poetry.

Spezialist

Post by Spezialist » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:53 am

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:22 pm

Spezialist wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:53 am
https://youtu.be/kZA9Hnp3aV4

Yawn

Yawn. A good word to end this chapter, Spezialist.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

hippiewannabe
Old School!

Post by hippiewannabe » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:29 pm

I agree with your summary, Colin, but I have to add an addendum.

I watched a couple minutes of that video, and it struck me that holy shit, people are learning Algebra from ideologues.

I thought I had sufficiently pointed it out in the Peak Oil debate, but I guess it's worth being more specific. It's the same in population growth or pandemic infection.

As the dude in the video correctly explained, the formula for exponential growth of a variable x at the growth rate r, as time t goes on is:

But here's the key point; growth rate, r, is also a variable. It can, and does change. A Sequoya seedling doubles in height every few years for a while, but eventually r decreases, and the rate of height increase slows. In other words, trees don't grow to the sky.

As oil supplies get used up, the price goes up and consumption growth slows. With social distancing, the rate of Corona virus infection slows. As infant mortality goes down, fertility goes down. China has gone from exponential population growth to negative population growth.

So yes, we have to be aware of exponential mathematics. From Calculus, we know that a small segment of a curve, such as a human lifetime compared to human history, looks like a straight line. But we can, and do, control our destiny.
Truth is like poetry.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:11 am

hippiewannabe wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:29 pm

So yes, we have to be aware of exponential mathematics. From Calculus, we know that a small segment of a curve, such as a human lifetime compared to human history, looks like a straight line. But we can, and do, control our destiny.
=D>
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:23 am

That Dr. Bartlett would have been a terrific professor to experience. Terrific video.