Suicide . . . who wants to?

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Suicide . . . who wants to?

Post by Amskeptic » Fri May 03, 2013 10:36 am

Read especially the comments under the article, available at the url below. There, we have a nicely unvarnished insight into how this country is providing the framework ( or not ) for us to experience life.

I do not doubt that many of us here on the forum have considered suicide in our darker moments, it is proof of what it is to be human. I first tried to kill myself when I was 11 or 12 after I had been humiliated in some public rebuke by my mother. I learned that evening that our bodies fight back in the name of maybe-dumb-but-I-mean-it Life, and I had to respect that. Worst of all, my mother had barely any recollection the next day of embarrassing me half to death. I would have been dead all over the place and she would not have been at all the remorseful chastened grieving mother that I fantasized, but rather, befuddled and no doubt irritated.
Colin

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/03/healt ... .html?_r=0
(comments below article)
Suicide Rates Rise Sharply in U.S.
May 2, 2013

Suicide rates among middle-aged Americans have risen sharply in the past decade, prompting concern that a generation of baby boomers who have faced years of economic worry and easy access to prescription painkillers may be particularly vulnerable to self-inflicted harm.

More people now die of suicide than in car accidents, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which published the findings in Friday’s issue of its Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. In 2010 there were 33,687 deaths from motor vehicle crashes and 38,364 suicides.

Suicide has typically been viewed as a problem of teenagers and the elderly, and the surge in suicide rates among middle-aged Americans is surprising.

From 1999 to 2010, the suicide rate among Americans ages 35 to 64 rose by nearly 30 percent, to 17.6 deaths per 100,000 people, up from 13.7. Although suicide rates are growing among both middle-aged men and women, far more men take their own lives. The suicide rate for middle-aged men was 27.3 deaths per 100,000, while for women it was 8.1 deaths per 100,000.

The most pronounced increases were seen among men in their 50s, a group in which suicide rates jumped by nearly 50 percent, to about 30 per 100,000. For women, the largest increase was seen in those ages 60 to 64, among whom rates increased by nearly 60 percent, to 7.0 per 100,000.

Suicide rates can be difficult to interpret because of variations in the way local officials report causes of death. But C.D.C. and academic researchers said they were confident that the data documented an actual increase in deaths by suicide and not a statistical anomaly. While reporting of suicides is not always consistent around the country, the current numbers are, if anything, too low.

“It’s vastly underreported,” said Julie Phillips, an associate professor of sociology at Rutgers University who has published research on rising suicide rates. “We know we’re not counting all suicides.”

The reasons for suicide are often complex, and officials and researchers acknowledge that no one can explain with certainty what is behind the rise. But C.D.C. officials cited a number of possible explanations, including that as adolescents people in this generation also posted higher rates of suicide compared with other cohorts.

“It is the baby boomer group where we see the highest rates of suicide,” said the C.D.C.’s deputy director, Ileana Arias. “There may be something about that group, and how they think about life issues and their life choices that may make a difference.”

The rise in suicides may also stem from the economic downturn over the past decade. Historically, suicide rates rise during times of financial stress and economic setbacks. “The increase does coincide with a decrease in financial standing for a lot of families over the same time period,” Dr. Arias said.

Another factor may be the widespread availability of opioid drugs like OxyContin and oxycodone, which can be particularly deadly in large doses.

Although most suicides are still committed using firearms, officials said there was a marked increase in poisoning deaths, which include intentional overdoses of prescription drugs, and hangings. Poisoning deaths were up 24 percent over all during the 10-year period and hangings were up 81 percent.

Dr. Arias noted that the higher suicide rates might be due to a series of life and financial circumstances that are unique to the baby boomer generation. Men and women in that age group are often coping with the stress of caring for aging parents while still providing financial and emotional support to adult children.

“Their lives are configured a little differently than it has been in the past for that age group,” Dr. Arias said. “It may not be that they are more sensitive or that they have a predisposition to suicide, but that they may be dealing with more.”

Preliminary research at Rutgers suggests that the risk for suicide is unlikely to abate for future generations. Changes in marriage, social isolation and family roles mean many of the pressures faced by baby boomers will continue in the next generation, Dr. Phillips said.

“The boomers had great expectations for what their life might look like, but I think perhaps it hasn’t panned out that way,” she said. “All these conditions the boomers are facing, future cohorts are going to be facing many of these conditions as well.”

Nancy Berliner, a Boston historian, lost her 58-year-old husband to suicide nearly two years ago. She said that while the reasons for his suicide were complex, she would like to see more attention paid to prevention and support for family members who lose someone to suicide.

“One suicide can inspire other people, unfortunately, to view suicide as an option,” Ms. Berliner said. “It’s important that society becomes more comfortable with discussing it. Then the people left behind will not have this stigma.”
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Re: Suicide . . . who wants to?

Post by glasseye » Fri May 03, 2013 11:03 am

Read that with interest yesterday. A sign of the times? Or just more accurate reporting?
Whatever, it's disturbing. We're seeing an increase in our indigenous poplulations, too. Especially among young people.
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Fri May 03, 2013 1:06 pm

I read this today and am still contemplating if and how any of the people I know are in such despair . In my own middle aged experience I have friends with everything gone being left to live with their adult children alongside of other friends who seem to have the means to leave for a cruise every other month. At one time being smart and working hard offered the promise of a future; now it seems to be just as important to be lucky. Did the company you worked for close when you were 54 or were you lucky enough to be able to hang on until 65. Did the company your 401k was wrapped in take your retirement with it when it folded? I'm still letting this work through in my mind and haven't fully reached a conclusion but I'm leaning toward my suspicion some of this deep dissatisfaction stems at least partly from our thinking happiness comes out of how others measure our success. The fact that so much unhappiness is economically driven speaks volumes into what we westerners use to define quality of life. But what a really poor measuring stick material wealth can be. But every night we are treated to images of good looking, successful older people hand in hand walking a beach enjoying their retirement. It's small wonder there are people who feel cheated enough to kill themselves.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed May 08, 2013 3:28 pm

RussellK wrote:The fact that so much unhappiness is economically driven speaks volumes into what we westerners use to define quality of life. But what a really poor measuring stick material wealth can be. But every night we are treated to images of good looking, successful older people hand in hand walking a beach enjoying their retirement. It's small wonder there are people who feel cheated enough to kill themselves.
Yep. Find them. I like to chat with people from many strata of life, and use my own poverty-ridden example as a reminder. A beautiful sunny day is free. This conversation is free. The whole of our economy is truly truly truly only a game. Though the consequences can be terrible, it is only a game in no way based on fairness.

Our value to the experience of life cannot be known, but it shore ain't a question of "He Who Dies With The Most Toys, Wins".

Strangely enough, my current bouts of suicidal despair revolve around a very generalized sense that we have profoundly cheapened the gift of existence in so many tawdry ways, and I want to fix it. Then I have a cigarette.
Colin
:withstupid:

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Wed May 08, 2013 7:38 pm

I guess I am lucky as I made it thru my 50's and still am kicking. I have lots to be glad I am still alive and my 3 aircooled cars sometimes cause me thoughts a suicidal despair but I work through it. Materialistic I am not as I am happy in a crappy cabin in the middle of the jungle with no toys or in Seattle surrounded by capitalism.
Since I have lived in another country and culture for a bit I can say truthfully that Americans have been F*cked by this consumerism/corporate/ratrace lifestyle. That picture of a older couple walking down a golden beach is for the 1% as who can afford that lifestyle with A condo on each coast, golf 3 times a week, spa treatments, Caribbean cruises etc mean you have a lot of IRA money and spend $100k a year retired...
Me? I am looking at spending more retirement time in Suriname where its inexpensive to live and no ratrace. A laidback culture where friends and relationships are truely valued over working yourself to death for the most "toys".
Colin, keep doing what you are doing and enjoy the ride(s) driving and enjoying the beautiful scenery this USA has to offer plus making friends everywhere.

Back to installing a new master cylinder in the stupid Ghia....cut wires everywhere, stupid non-stock parts to rip out...It never ends. But to see my wife's face smiling as she drives that Ghia is worth it.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu May 09, 2013 11:50 am

Bleyseng wrote:I have lots to be glad I am still alive installing a new master cylinder in the stupid Ghia....
. . . and I am alive to pull Chloe's engine in 20 minutes to replace a crap front main seal with maybe an equally crap main seal. But here's the thing . . . I am still somehow hopeful that this time it will work.

The last time I wanted to seriously drive into incoming traffic was because I was not allowing myself the Right to be bored, to be dispirited, to be dully irritable, to just Be with the hopelessness of my life, to allow the litany of my woes to wash over me.

I was demanding that I talk myself out of it. Well . . . no. That would have been Tony Robbins peptalk crap, and I wasn't about to do that.

Three weeks later, I forgot what was so blackening to my spirit anyway, I was too busy.
I do hate the fact that it looks like the people who have harmed me get a free ticket, but it just ain't my business any more.
I do hate the fact that those who benefit from the status quo have seized our futures and hold them hostage to their short-term laziness, and that is my business.
But I hate being told (by me) what to do about it. :alien:
Colin

72Hardtop
Old School!

Post by 72Hardtop » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:14 am

Still nothing like the suicide rate in Japan. It's the leading cause of death among young people for both men and women. My brother in law family just experienced such about a year ago (Japan). There daughter was just 18. Strangled herself. Tragic but also very selfish. Suicide is a selfish act.
1972 Westy tintop
2056cc T-4 - 7.8:1 CR
Weber 40mm Duals - 47.5idles, 125mains, F11 tubes, 190 Air corr., 28mm Vents
96mm AA Biral P/C's w/Hastings rings
42x36mm Heads (AMC- Headflow Masters) w/Porsche swivel adjusters
71mm Stroke
Web Cam 73 w/matched Web lifters
S&S 4-1 exhaust w/Walker 17862 quiet-pack
Pertronix SVDA w/Pertronix module & Flamethrower 40K coil (7* initial 28* total @3200+)
NGK BP6ET plugs
002 3 rib trans
Hankook 185R14's

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:36 am

72Hardtop wrote:Still nothing like the suicide rate in Japan. It's the leading cause of death among young people for both men and women. My brother in law family just experienced such about a year ago (Japan). There daughter was just 18. Strangled herself. Tragic but also very selfish. Suicide is a selfish act.
As is despair. I can't take potshots at the self-departed, I can imagine just enough to feel the tragedy of terminal helplessness. Somehow, they lost all connection. The reasons are myriad.
Colin