Beer!

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Re: Beer!

Post by ruckman101 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:38 pm

Lanval wrote:
ruckman101 wrote:Pelican's early efforts didn't impress me, but that was quite some time ago.

neal
What does impress you? What're your favorites?

Best,

ML
Hop Stoopid from Lagunitas is at the top of my list at the moment, and has been for a spell. I enjoy Rogue's Brutal IPA. And of course Super Dog at the Lucky Lab.

Haven't tried any Pelican for close to a decade. They were pretty new then. I'm sure they're better now. Pacific City has weird energy. Not sure what it is.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:28 pm

ruckman101 wrote:
Lanval wrote:
ruckman101 wrote:Pelican's early efforts didn't impress me, but that was quite some time ago.

neal
What does impress you? What're your favorites?

Best,

ML
Hop Stoopid from Lagunitas is at the top of my list at the moment, and has been for a spell. I enjoy Rogue's Brutal IPA. And of course Super Dog at the Lucky Lab.

Haven't tried any Pelican for close to a decade. They were pretty new then. I'm sure they're better now. Pacific City has weird energy. Not sure what it is.

neal
I'll see if Lagunitas exists down here. I've never had a Rogue that was worth the money I paid for it, though. They oughta learn that burning the shit out of the malt isn't part of good beer making. Can I assume that "Super Dog" is LL's own beer? I'm thinking that I probably can't get it outside of Portland/NW Oregon. Although apparently I can get a LL cycling jersey via their online store...

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:38 pm

Lanval,

Here's my $0.02; beer is like bread, it's better fresh (usually). I see that there are Steelhead and Karl Strauss brewpubs in Irvine, have you been to your local brewery?

Minnesota Beer Nut
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:10 pm

Lagunitas is in California. And yes, Lucky Lab doesn't bottle. Rogue is overpriced. I've whined to them in the past about it but was told it was because of the amount of ingredients going into their product. And BellePlaine is correct, beer is like bread, best fresh, especially the unpasteurized ones.

neal

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:57 pm

Beer, got to love when its hot out. Hmm, its always hot here so I drink lots of the local "Parbo" bier especially the "Djogo" which is their quart bottle. It still about a $1 US for a beer here so I wonder why its not cheaper. In some stores you can buy a lot of the high price European beers which is nice for alittle more and Duvel is my favorite. There are no microbrews here as the government owns part of the Parbo brewery and won't allow others to compete...
Socially, when you visit friends opening and sharing a Djogo is the norm to start the visit. But for partying, a rumcoke is what we drink. If you want a cocktail thats about as fancy as it gets but the local rum is excellent and cheap!
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:01 pm

When we were in mexico we picked up a pint of cuban rum. Yummy. Rogue is also a micro-distillery, they do a righteous rum also. Alas, they are as proud of it as they are their beers when it comes to purchasing any.

neal

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:43 pm

BellePlaine wrote:Lanval,

Here's my $0.02; beer is like bread, it's better fresh (usually). I see that there are Steelhead and Karl Strauss brewpubs in Irvine, have you been to your local brewery?

Minnesota Beer Nut
Yes, and to several others as well. Unfortunately for me, I learned to drink beer in Baden-Wurttemburg, which means:

1. I prefer beers that aren't readily available here (Pilsner is my all-time favorite, and a good Weizen is a joy on a summer day) and don't enjoy the American ale forms as much

2. Most "brew pubs" are little more than a cynical attempt to cash in a fad; even small brewers that were once quality brewers are often lost to the desire to spread out, capitalize and become a "brand". Karl Strauss, for instance, is bottled in San Diego, and trucked up here to Costa Mesa (nearby); they're not brewing on-premises, and while they've won a few awards, I don't believe that American brewers can scale successfully beyond a certain point.

What I discovered in Europe is that you can pretty readily understand the quality of a beer in inverse relationship to its availability; Amstel Light is sold in every train station throughout Europe; it's also an incredibly shitty beer.

In Germany, there are thousands of little breweries of exceptional quality which have little or no name outside of their local realm; they brew exquisite beers under the Reinheitsgebot precisely because they know they're not going to expand beyond their borders. They can focus on quality because they have a steady, local/regional market without the goal of becoming a dominant market force.

This isn't to say there aren't good large-market beers in Germany, or elsewhere; there are, but they are not as good as many of the smaller beers, precisely because scale in brewing limits your ability to really localize ingredients, which in turn affects quality and character. No single hop-grower can provide the necessary scale and quality to satisfy a global brand; as a result they focus not on quality, but on consistency - every bottle tastes the same as every other bottle.

Even if they are reasonably good locally (I drank a fair amount of Bitburger while in Germany) they often don't travel well; time and again I've bought Bitburger in a bottle at Trader Joe's out of misplaced nostalgia, and every time, it's been of poor quality; a thin shadow of what it was like out of a tap, 2 hours from the brewery. But even so, Bitburger was not even close to the best stuff I had in Germany.

But I digress; I've been to the Steelhead across from UCI; mediocre at best. Oggi's isn't bad, but I'm not going to rave about them. Pizzaport has been recommended but I've never found the time. I refuse to go to Newport Beach BC on principle; this place is next on my list:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16866

If I sound like a picky wiener, it's cause I am; what I really want is a good crisp, clear Pilsner, but good luck finding that in the US; so when I drink, I end up drinking shitty American ale, 'cause that's mostly what America produces. American lager tends to be even lousier, since it's generally made by big companies. Nowadays, when I want to sit and drink, I drink red wines from Oregon and Washington; if you want to know what Napa Valley wishes it could be, try this:

http://www.lecole.com/

It's funny, cause we used to drive by that old school every year on the way to the old family homestead. Never thought it would be anything but a run-down old school!

Best,

Michael L

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:50 am

Ah Europe! Was in Germany, France, Belgium and the Netherlands for about a month in 08. Visting friends in Southern Germany we went to the store to discover that there was 4 aisles for beer for sale. God, so many different beer I had to buy 24 bottle just to try em in our 4 day stay. All were excellent. France had no really good beer unless it was from Belgium. When in France drink wine is what I figured out. Belgium had some of the best beer I have ever had and Holland has lots of Belgium beer which is good.
When I get back I''l try some of that L'Ecole
Geoff

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:11 am

Bleyseng wrote:There are no microbrews here as the government owns part of the Parbo brewery and won't allow others to compete...
Bleyseng, I work in sales as a supplier of brewing ingredients to craft breweries in the Midwest. One of our newest suppliers makes crystal and roasted malt for us in Santiago, Chile. I understand that there is a very young craft beer movement taking root in Chile and later this month I'm traveling to visit our new supplier and the local breweries. To draw a contrast with Suriname, the Chilean government is subsidizing a series of "Pro Chile" lectures to these young brewers. They have me speaking on identifying and controlling off-flavors in beer.

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:00 am

BellePlaine wrote:
Bleyseng wrote:There are no microbrews here as the government owns part of the Parbo brewery and won't allow others to compete...
Bleyseng, I work in sales as a supplier of brewing ingredients to craft breweries in the Midwest. One of our newest suppliers makes crystal and roasted malt for us in Santiago, Chile. I understand that there is a very young craft beer movement taking root in Chile and later this month I'm traveling to visit our new supplier and the local breweries. To draw a contrast with Suriname, the Chilean government is subsidizing a series of "Pro Chile" lectures to these young brewers. They have me speaking on identifying and controlling off-flavors in beer.
Your knowledge leads me to ask ~ what is the reason for the dominance of ale in US craft brewing? I'm particularly surprised, since historically it was the Germans and their beautiful pilsner/lager beers that first seemed to dominate the American market in the 19th century? Was the low temperature for lagering a barrier to good quality? I seem to recall that ale ferments at a significantly higher temperature, making ale a good choice where it's not cold?

If you'd rather direct me to a well-written history of American beer production, by all means ~ I could use a good book at the moment.

Best,

Michael L

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:29 am

Lanval wrote:what is the reason for the dominance of ale in US craft brewing? I'm particularly surprised, since historically it was the Germans and their beautiful pilsner/lager beers that first seemed to dominate the American market in the 19th century?

I think that's a regional thing. Back in the midwest you can find a hell of a lot more Pisners, Lagers, and Hefeweizen's than you can get on the west coast.

It wasn't until I moved out west that I ever really got a taste for the ale's, and even then it took a while.

The style was a lot different from your mass brewed beers though, giving Pils a touch more bite, the lagers a bit more dark/robust flavoring, and some of the unfiltered wheats you could eat with a spoon they were so thick seeming. There aren't a lot of those style beers brewed here on the coast that I like all that much, but the west coast does fill in the blanks very nicely with their Ales, Porters, and Belgian inspired beers. IMO
1979 California Transporter

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:41 am

Ales are somewhat "easier" to make. Lagering takes longer and requires a "cold" fermentation... you (typically) can't do it at room temperature like making ale so there's more equipment involved. Unless you have a nice cool cave to do it in year round.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:05 pm

BellePlaine wrote:
Must be a "Progressive" government in Chile, not so here in Suriname as the former dictator was elected President. Same old corruption with just different new faces that are his friends getting rich. "Pro business" isn't a thought here and to get thru any gov agency its either the old buddy network or outright under the table cash.
I have talked to a couple of people who do want to do a micro brewery here but haven't had any luck getting the approval to run the business. If you don't get approval they do come in and close you down.
This would be a great place for a micro brewery as there is only one local beer and its just ok, slightly better than Bud. Everybody drinks beer cuz its so hot and you get tired of drinking water. :tongue:
My son brews and grows his own hops in Seattle making some good beer every once and a while.
Geoff

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:44 pm

I would argue that the craft brewing movement took root when Fritz Maytag saved Anchor Brewing. Anchor was and still is brewing steam beer which a hybrid of ale and lager of sorts; it’s a lager fermented at ale-type temperatures. I imagine the fledgling brewery, already making a beer similar to conventional beer, then created the first modern American ale after some ingredient salesperson (s) (it all starts with a salesperson, kidding! It’s my imagination!) showed them caramelized malt and a new American hop called Cascade. They called it Liberty Ale. Liberty is clearly based on an English-style ales but using American ingredients, mainly citrusy hops. And dry-hopped. Back in the day, this beer would have been too flavorful for many drinkers. We weren’t putting bacon and blue cheese on our hamburgers. We were Wonder Bread PB&J. I finding very interesting that beers like Sierra Nevada, Anchor Liberty Ale, and Summit Pale Ale are very mellow by today’s flavor standards because they beers have not gotten less hoppy yet they seem that way because our flavor tolerances have re-calibrated.

Today’s beer-scape also has Jimmy Carter to thank. Late in 1978 he corrected a clerical error and legalized the brewing of beer at home for the first time since Prohibition. Up until that time, we could only make wine at home. Many homebrewers like Ken Grossman and Jeff Lebesch took their homebrewing hobbies professional and started Sierra Nevada and New Belgium. These guys started out brewing ales and using American hops which taste like grapefruit, orange, apricot, and pear. These hops meld well with the fruity flavors of ale fermentations. American brewers and drinkers craved more and more flavor and bigger beers. Beer has become entertainment. Drinkers are seeking out new experiences and brewers are trying new and unusual ingredients. They are aging beers in used bourbon, wine, and sherry barrels. They are adding herbs and spices and fermenting with funky bugs that produce flavors like sour, horse-blanket, and hay. Beer is over-taking wine as the preferred beverage to pair with food. I heard that there is over 500,000 homebrewers and 1,800 breweries in USA (add ~800 start-ups currently in the works). The appetite for craft beer is insatiable, while domestic industrial lager beer is on the decline.

However, I have noticed a change. There is a new interest in craft lagers and traditional German beers in America. I know that within the past few years I’ve personally come to appreciate a nice Bohemian Pils and it’s about all that I homebrew nowadays. I think that drinkers and brewers are maturing and we’ve come full circle. A nice well-made lager is a hard beer to brew and it’s quiet balance of malty and hoppy flavors is something that many drinkers are beginning to appreciate. I think that the future for American beer is to brew more of these lower-alcohol, balanced yet flavorful brews.

I could go on and on and on.

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:10 am

BellePlaine wrote: I could go on and on and on.
I could listen for as long as you chose to. Thanks for the informative overview; that's enlightening, and well written.

Best,

Michael L