Beer!

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

sped372
IAC Addict!

Re: Beer!

Post by sped372 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:32 am

Transferred to the secondary fermenter last night... keeping fingers crossed.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:22 am

sped372 wrote:Transferred to the secondary fermenter last night... keeping fingers crossed.
Did you taste the beer as you transfered it? That's part of the deal too. As in all good cooking, I advocate using your senses throughout the entire process. Chew on the malt, rub a bit of hops between your palms to see what they smell like, taste the water, taste the wort, taste everything. (Maybe not the yeast, but you could). What kind of beer did you brew?
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:29 am

We did an amber. Just bottled it the other day and it tasted good, but flat... which I suppose is to be expected until it bottle-conditions.

We'll probably do more tasting next time, this time we didn't try any until after a few days in the secondary when we checked the specific gravity.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:11 pm

Anyone heard or tasted this one? My wife got it for me at the local New Seasons for Valentine's. She was asking the beer guy if there was anything new that I would like and he asked if I'd ever had Pliny. They don't keep it out on the shelf and you have to know about it and ask for it specifically. Apparently it's very limited and hard to get a hold of. It gets top marks from just about every beer connoisseur web sit. I've had a cold so haven't had a chance to crack it yet.

Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

sailorkh
Addicted!

Post by sailorkh » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:42 pm

Westy78 wrote:Anyone heard or tasted this one? My wife got it for me at the local New Seasons for Valentine's. She was asking the beer guy if there was anything new that I would like and he asked if I'd ever had Pliny. They don't keep it out on the shelf and you have to know about it and ask for it specifically. Apparently it's very limited and hard to get a hold of. It gets top marks from just about every beer connoisseur web sit. I've had a cold so haven't had a chance to crack it yet.

They have that on tap at a local pub here.

Hang on to your taste buds, their in for a treat!!! :occasion5:
Kris
1971 Deluxe "Ole blue"
1978 Westfalia "Gretchen"
1966 Cal40 "Viva"

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:40 pm

sailorkh wrote:
Westy78 wrote:Anyone heard or tasted this one? My wife got it for me at the local New Seasons for Valentine's. She was asking the beer guy if there was anything new that I would like and he asked if I'd ever had Pliny. They don't keep it out on the shelf and you have to know about it and ask for it specifically. Apparently it's very limited and hard to get a hold of. It gets top marks from just about every beer connoisseur web sit. I've had a cold so haven't had a chance to crack it yet.

They have that on tap at a local pub here.
On tap huh? I guess you're lucky from what I've read about it. I've read stories of people showing up at a store and buying every case they have. Are you near Santa Rosa? That's where this brewer is. Russian River Brewing.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:48 pm

Yah, can vouch for it's tastiness. Russian River Brewing products have impressed me. Found it in San Francisco on a visit.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:55 pm

Westy78 wrote:On tap huh? I guess you're lucky from what I've read about it. I've read stories of people showing up at a store and buying every case they have. Are you near Santa Rosa? That's where this brewer is. Russian River Brewing.
Perhaps you ought to take a VW group trip over to Pacific City; to wit:

http://www.yourlittlebeachtown.com/pelican/beer

Better than anything you've ever had. Ever.

Michael L

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:19 pm

Pelican's early efforts didn't impress me, but that was quite some time ago.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

sailorkh
Addicted!

Post by sailorkh » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:15 pm

Westy78 wrote:
sailorkh wrote:They have that on tap at a local pub here.
On tap huh? I guess you're lucky from what I've read about it. I've read stories of people showing up at a store and buying every case they have. Are you near Santa Rosa? That's where this brewer is. Russian River Brewing.
I live in the S.F.Bay area just south from Santa Rosa. They usually just get one keg and are out within hours, so you have to know when it's gonna get there.

Russian River Brewing is a consistent gold medal winner in a lot of the major brewing competitions. Tasty stuff! I know your going to enjoy it!
Kris
1971 Deluxe "Ole blue"
1978 Westfalia "Gretchen"
1966 Cal40 "Viva"

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:20 pm

Lanval wrote:
Westy78 wrote:On tap huh? I guess you're lucky from what I've read about it. I've read stories of people showing up at a store and buying every case they have. Are you near Santa Rosa? That's where this brewer is. Russian River Brewing.
Perhaps you ought to take a VW group trip over to Pacific City; to wit:

http://www.yourlittlebeachtown.com/pelican/beer

Better than anything you've ever had. Ever.

Michael L

Been there a few times. Finished up a couple century road bike rides there. Nothing like a cold beer after a full day on the saddle. Haven't been in a few years though. I do need to get back.

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:59 pm

Westy78 wrote:
sailorkh wrote: They have that on tap at a local pub here.
We have a local watering hole that regularly gets kegs of Pliny the Elder. An outstanding brew. Make sure you are fully over that cold before you tap that bad boy. As sailorkh stated, you are indeed in for a treat!
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:52 pm

Is there something peculiarly tasty or unusual in the brew? You guys are making me think I should try it...

Best,

ML

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:59 pm

ruckman101 wrote:Pelican's early efforts didn't impress me, but that was quite some time ago.

neal
What does impress you? What're your favorites?

Best,

ML

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:37 am

Lanval wrote:Is there something peculiarly tasty or unusual in the brew? You guys are making me think I should try it...
Well, this is personal opinion, but I'd rate it as one of the finest examples of double-IPA that I've ever had the pleasure to drink. Wonderful hop flavors and aromas...it's a party in your mouth! As a bonus (for a DIPA), it's incredibly drinkable...

If you can find PtE...buy immediately, and enjoy. However, do not be tempted to buy a bunch and cellar it; it begs to be consumed fresh. :drunken:
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio