Beer!

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Re: Beer!

Post by ruckman101 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:51 pm

I agree. Current offerings are ever more "big". Lagers needing the longer cooler fermentation used to be seasonal until refrigeration. Ales ferment at higher temps and have a quicker turn around, thus easier, cheaper to produce. I'm hopelessly hop addicted and was excited to see a new hop supplier business launched focusing strictly on the craft brewers, as the big boys scale back their hops and aren't interested in the complexities, but merely the "bittering" aspect. They kicked a mil to OSU to revive their hop developments. Rogue is growing their own hops now, in partnership with OSU.

Good times to be a beer drinker.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:05 am

Lanval wrote:If I sound like a picky wiener, it's cause I am; what I really want is a good crisp, clear Pilsner, but good luck finding that in the US
Hey, Michael, Trumer Pils in Berkeley brews nothing but their own German-style pilsner. The owner actually bought a defunct brewery and had it outfitted to brew pilsner just so he could get a fresh supply of his favorite German beer, as apparently pilsner doesn't "travel well". They import the same hops from Germany that are used in the Trumer brewery there, and apparently the water in Berkeley is very close to the water found in Germany.

Wife treated me to a tour of the brewery last year. Quite interesting. Sorry to say though, that the beer wasn't my favorite. Rather be knocking down a pint of Guinness or getting immersed in one of Unibroue's complex offerings.

Cheers,
Lyle
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:02 am

SlowLane wrote:
Lanval wrote:If I sound like a picky wiener, it's cause I am; what I really want is a good crisp, clear Pilsner, but good luck finding that in the US
Hey, Michael, Trumer Pils in Berkeley brews nothing but their own German-style pilsner. The owner actually bought a defunct brewery and had it outfitted to brew pilsner just so he could get a fresh supply of his favorite German beer, as apparently pilsner doesn't "travel well". They import the same hops from Germany that are used in the Trumer brewery there, and apparently the water in Berkeley is very close to the water found in Germany.

Wife treated me to a tour of the brewery last year. Quite interesting. Sorry to say though, that the beer wasn't my favorite. Rather be knocking down a pint of Guinness or getting immersed in one of Unibroue's complex offerings.

Cheers,
Lyle
Thanks for the top ~ it's now at the top of my list of reasons to go North (well, that and a desire to see Big Sur from behind the widescreen presentation of a rear-engine VW camper) for a weekend.

Tip O' the hat to you!

Michael L

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:05 pm

The best beer in each state.
Thoughts and opinions on YOUR state?
http://firstwefeast.com/drink/the-best- ... e/s/22130/
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"

yondermtn
Old School!

Post by yondermtn » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:45 pm

Illinois- Goose Island Bourbon County Stout

I've never had it, but hear it is good. I'm not much of a stout drinker. I drank my last Surly Furious(Minnesota's #1) last night. It is one of my favorites that made the list. Unfortunately they pulled out of IL.
1977 Westy 2.0FI
1990 Vanagon MV 2.1 Auto

vdubzen
Getting Hooked!

Post by vdubzen » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:44 am

New Mexico, specifically Albuquerque: IVB (il vicino brewery) Canteen has a couple IPA's I like, Exodus and wet mountain.

(for those of you in colorado and kansas , they have Il Vicino locations there as well. i don't know if they serve their brews though.)
1960 Karmann Ghia
1968 Deluxe Microbus
1973 Super Beetle
1974 Beetle

president, AAAVWclub.com

yondermtn
Old School!

Post by yondermtn » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:41 am

Anyone try the Lagunitas Sucks?

Great beer! It's like a flavor explosion that I highly recommend.
1977 Westy 2.0FI
1990 Vanagon MV 2.1 Auto

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:41 am

yondermtn wrote:Anyone try the Lagunitas Sucks?

Great beer! It's like a flavor explosion that I highly recommend.
Just picked up a six pack of it last night. Haven't tried it yet. Still disappointed that we don't get Brown Sugga again this year.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:12 pm

Westy78 wrote:Still disappointed that we don't get Brown Sugga again this year.
^^^ THIS ^^^

Seriously, Guys At Lagunitas .. we'll buy the "lack of capacity while we expand the brewery" once, but what's your excuse this year? It better be a good one, something along the lines of an Undercover Federal Investigation Shut-Down.
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:26 pm

After a steady diet of Canned American, anything else is honey.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat