Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Koch Brothers Want A Newspaper Or Two

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:13 am

From the Wall Street Journal:
Koch Industries Eyes Tribune Papers: Koch Industries, controlled by billionaire brothers Charles and David Koch, has indicated it may be interested in buying Tribune Co.’s newspapers, include the Los Angeles Times and Chicago Tribune.

Anybody else see this as one more nail in the coffin? Hidden in a bullets sidebar of the Wall Street Journal?

This game of influence chess continues to be played by those with longer attention spans than seemingly the majority of Americans. We are all too desperate to clear next month's bills and have no time for political engagement, yet it is precisely the actions of actors like the Koch Brothers that have us on this treadmill to nowhere in the first place.

I posted some startling information regarding the rise in inequity in this country, the gains in our productivity over the past ten years were all vacuumed up by the top, and maybe three people commented. We richly deserve what is coming, we have relinquished our responsibilities as citizens and seem most content as passive consumer widgets staring at Bernie Sanders like he is some weird Vermont hysteric, while happily sharing how cool our latest techno-purchase is. The shame is not our government, it is us. Our representatives, those stumbling easily-startled herd of poll-driven cattle, have not been guided by their constituents half so much as guided by highly concentrated singularly focused most usually whacked special interests who in no way deserve the influence they wield. Meanwhile, I have been politically silent ever since I went hopeless as gun control went down.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

JLT
Old School!

Re: Koch Brothers Want A Newspaper Or Two

Post by JLT » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:18 am

They also want the Baltimore Sun, which I think is a Murdoch newspaper now. I'm not sure whether this betokens a sweep towards conservatism in newspapers or a general comment on the irrelevance of newspapers in general. Either way, it's a sad commentary on journalism.
-- JLT
Sacramento CA

Present bus: '71 Dormobile Westie "George"
(sometimes towing a '65 Allstate single-wheel trailer)
Former buses: '61 17-window Deluxe "Pink Bus"
'70 Frankenwestie "Blunder Bus"
'71 Frankenwestie "Thunder Bus"

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:08 am

Obviously the impact of the "free speech" enabled by Citizens United needs a bit of bolstering to garner bigger returns on their "investments" in political candidates. Last election cycle showed an abysmal return, which warmed my heart and renewed my faith a bit in the American voter.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:46 pm

The fact that most Americans have given up hope on their politicians is reflected in the low voter turnout. No one cares anymore. There's only 10-15% of us that regularly vote. If someone or thing could excite that other 85%, they would take over in no time.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:12 am

RSorak 71Westy wrote:If someone or thing could excite that other 85%, they would take over in no time.
Let's guess . . . what would wake up the American public?
Colin

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:12 pm

War.

neal

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Wed May 01, 2013 10:14 am

Actually, thinking about it, the American public certainly hasn't been woken up by the wars we are still in and have been for far too long.

neal

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Wed May 01, 2013 2:39 pm

something closer to home perhaps...like a crash of the beloved and worshipped stock market
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Wed May 01, 2013 8:06 pm

Take away their iPhones. Nationwide wireless communication failure. Interrupt the supply of high fructose corn syrup and MSG. Any one of those things would cause America to freak the fuck out and take to the streets.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri May 03, 2013 9:26 am

Velokid1 wrote:Take away their iPhones. Nationwide wireless communication failure. Interrupt the supply of high fructose corn syrup and MSG. Any one of those things would cause America to freak the fuck out and take to the streets.
Then that is what I pray for.
Colin