Not one comment/post on the State of the Union Address?

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

denjohn
Getting Hooked!

Re: Not one comment/post on the State of the Union Address?

Post by denjohn » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:18 am

Amskeptic wrote: Believe it or not, I do believe that even if the whole ball of wax goes down, we WILL keep the modern engine going a while longer based on cooperative understanding. Meaning, after all the hatred that comes with the unfair system we have now, the Holy Crap We Have To Survive This! system will demand that we all just do our jobs because they need to be done. What drives every single working person in the country right now, bar none? We HAVE to make money. We have to hold in our hands, a terrible unfairness.
Colin......your comment, above, came to mind when I read this at Chris Martenson's site, by Rob P offering an opinion on community:

Steady, I'm just going to relate my views here - in regard to community building. Up until 3 years ago my wife and I were putting all of our efforts toward eventually building a community on our land in Illinois. I was heading toward retirement and we very much planned to start a small permaculture based community of maybe a dozen people as our legacy. We have no children.

Prior to that time we'd visited a number of communities. I even spent a summer at "The Farm" back in the 70s, so we really weren't new to all of it, but I still think we were naive about it.

I the last few years we've seen several attempts by friends and others to make small communities and we've talked a lot about other attempts with Bill Wilson at Midwest permaculture and others. It's important, I think, to note that these were all people in the US. These attempts have all failed or been extremely difficult. Because of this my wife and I have shifted our vision away from starting a small community.

I think I can encapsulate what the problelms are (from my asessment anyway). Firstly, people in the US, particularly the post WWII generations are very unusual. We're used to always getting our way. We grew up in a time of unusual possibilities and choices and we are not used to living with limitations. Furthermore, we are not used to thinking of the group first rather than our own needs (Very much unlike traditional Asian people - totally different psychology). We are also self absorbed in our own little dramas as if we are the only people on the earth. In other words Americans are not used to compromise, thinking of others first, flexibility, and sacrifice. We're also kinda lazy (knda??), with all those machines running on hydrocarbons doing everything for us all the time. Finally, I believe that we have literally lost a good number of basic interpersonal communication skills, particularly those related to conflict resolution. Becasue of what I've seen in recent years - failure by some of the best people I know, people I thought could have done it, I'm no longer up for it.

Now, if you're talking about Asia - to whatever extent it hasn't been infected by American consumerism and narcassistic individualism - it really is a different matter. My wife has a lot of history living in Asia, specifically Sri Lanka, India and China, so much of this is second hand and also through studying cultures.. I would say this: Those people - especially the more traditional ones not totally infected by colonialism - come up in a world in which they have to cooperate, they have to in order to survive. They don't know of anything else, or don't expect anything else, and they're used to it. Some of it is the identity structures of the culture - class, patriarchy etc - but at the core they have to cooperate because they have not been released from that need by the use of fossil fuels the way we have. They also don't come out of the history of individualism that really is there in the West. We are individual consumers with individual identities and "desires" paramount in our psychology. Many of them now want to be like us (Think China). But the point is, in my view, our natural, pre industrial state, involves a lot of cooperation by nessessity, but we lost all sense of that as we grew into consumer culture during the post WWII era. Now you have people who may not even be capable of it - or may be able to do it, but only with a great effort, or only under duress.

In my opinion, many people now, in this culture, are also, in one way or another what I would loosely call mentally ill for lack of a better term. Consumer culture has produced lots of anxiety, depression, addictions and other very dysfuncitonal behaviors. It's pervasive, but few see it as a product of the culture.

Now, the question becomes: as society becomes less complex and requires, literally, that people cooperate and work in community in order to survive, will the refugees from consumer land be able to do it? My prediction: not easily and not without a lot of gnashing of teeth and interpersonal conflict
Peace
'71 bus, stock running gear ex SVDA and pertronix

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:53 am

I agree with the quote above whole heartedly. Not to be ageist but I particularly see it in the twenty something people I work with on a daily basis. They have been raised on a whole different theory than I was in that there are no losers and you can an have whatever you want when you want it. It creates a sense of entitlement and laziness unfortunately. Stupid little monkeys we are.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

denjohn
Getting Hooked!

Post by denjohn » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:24 pm

Here's a follow up to that last quote, from Steady Footsteps:
Rob P: I agree completely with your assessment regarding the present disinclination of Americans to apply themselves to anything resembling a serious attempt to create anything along the lines of a sustainable, community-oriented way of life. And one of the really fascinating things about my exposure to Vietnamese life and culture (initial visit in 1995, return visit in 2005, living here continuosly since 2006) is how the trajectory of things has seemed to mimic the course of American culture on steroids. From what I've heard, the 1980's here were like the 1930's in the US--stark poverty and deprivation. By the time I showed up in 1995, attitudes seemed much like the US in the 1950's and people were still uniformly thin and poor. Returning again in 2005, it reminded me of the early '60's--a big emphasis on education as the ticket to a bright future, but still a place where my long-haired, smart alec teen-aged son stuck out like a sore thumb. In the seven years since then, the culture and living standards have changed radically. I-phones, flat screen TVs, refrigerators, and cars are ubiquitous and family and cohesiveness are declining precipitously. It's really rather breath taking! The difference here, however, is that most people still do have family, often in the countryside, where they can return when the economy turns down. Also, few people, as of yet, are mired in debt to banks. Most borrow money from family members and friends if they need to borrow at all. And there is that knowlege and experience base, at least in those thirty and over, which I believe will stand them in good stead when the present good times fizzle out. I think it will be a much tougher haul in the US, where that sort of mind-set has been long gone for generations.
Peace

denjohn
Getting Hooked!

Post by denjohn » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:41 pm

Just saw a TED talk that highlights some of the small v big and dis empowering corporate corruption issues:
http://www.theeconomicsofhappiness.org/helena-on-tedx
Peace

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:49 am

denjohn wrote:Here's a follow up to that last quote, from Steady Footsteps:
Rob P: one of the really fascinating things about my exposure to Vietnamese life and culture is how the trajectory of things has seemed to mimic the course of American culture
Which, importantly, gets us off the hook for being "character-deficient" or "selfish" or "gluttonous".

We Americans are the Vanguard of discovering that catering to appetites and comforts diminishes purposeful living. Have some compassion! I think any of us has the structural capability to handle deprivation, it is where we came from. Of the hordes of spoiled children tantrumming for electricity or hot water after the Collapse, there will be some real amazing tough people who emerge.

I see all of these emerging consumer cultures hungrily striving for the material comforts we have found, and of course I would like to warn them "careful what you strive for, it will put you to sleep." You can't tell them that!

Individual Americans will have to choose to turn away from it, only then might they have the "moral authority" to warn others against the dispeptic disporia of being spoiled and clueless.

I have been in a transition away from the American "lifestyle" with its attendant debts and addictions and obesity and wandering purposelessness as we serve corporate masters whose "employee manuals are virtual whips "you shall maintain a pleasant demeanor", and I have to say, the accumulation of material toys and an emerald green lawn surrounding my castle, just does not appeal to me any more.

Our government actually does lead from behind. Our elected leaders stampede to the whims of their constituents who have no idea of what to do next. It will take individuals who experiment with alternative forms of community and survival strategies to lead us to a post-capitalist post-corporatist world. We *cannot* ask our government to lead the way.

The failures of prior experiments in self-sufficiency, you would attribute to what possible causes? Go to personal internal human reasons here, not so much general conceptual ostensible "external" reasons. . .
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles