education (or lack there of) and a unique way to approach it

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

education (or lack there of) and a unique way to approach it

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:06 am

This is so true... kids today are being taught to regurgitate facts, not solve problems. And they aren't willing to put the mental effort in to resolve a problem..they expect the answer to get handed to them on a silver platter... I see it with my own 15 yo step daughter.

http://www.wired.com/design/2012/11/spa ... eedfetcher
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Re: education (or lack there of) and a unique way to approac

Post by Bleyseng » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:26 am

Eventually, the hard-nosed approach paid off. “After an interaction like that, you see a gear shift in [a kid's] head,” said Korsunskiy. “Once you make it clear that you’re not there to provide the answer, they completely rise to the challenge.”

Unwittingly, the team had stumbled into a big problem — and a gathering cultural debate. According to social scientists (and the journalists who popularize their work), American children are said to be weenies, much more helpless and less resourceful than their age-matched peers in other countries. In educational settings, American kids are worryingly lacking in the faculty known as “grit,” the one that allows people to power through difficult problems, absorbing and learning from setbacks rather than giving up.
I agree and when my kids and step kids were in school I always let them figure out how to solve a problem. I just watched and told them to figure it out as its about learning how to think!
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: education (or lack there of) and a unique way to approac

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:16 pm

Bleyseng wrote:
American kids are worryingly lacking in the faculty known as “grit,” the one that allows people to power through difficult problems, absorbing and learning from setbacks rather than giving up.
I agree
Give 'em to me. I will drive them to the desert dump them out with their bicycle, jam the chain between the wheel flange and the sprocket, "hey kid, you can rummage in my tool box. Need a Diet Coke?"
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles