Coward's Way Out

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Coward's Way Out

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:14 am

That would be me. I am fleeing to the wilds between now and Election Day. On Wednesday November 7, I shall call my beloved political kindred spirit at 8:15AM and she will be the one to tell me who the next President is going to be.

I am waaay over-invested in the outcome, I am distracted beyond belief, and I am getting angry at the parade of belligerent posts on election blogs. I hate seeing us Americans look like fickle brats and buffoons and ignorant loud-mouths making serious decisions based on God knows what criteria. I am fleeing to the countryside where the moon and crickets (yes, they are still out in force in southern Georgia) and the leaves and the sky remind me what life is about.
ColinGodSaveTheRepublic
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Re: Coward's Way Out

Post by Randy in Maine » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:17 am

Just make sure you vote first.

Or you can't complain later.
79 VW Bus

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:27 pm

Stupid Electoral College.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:05 pm

It's all pre-ordained anyway. The presidents are selected by the powers that be...and we aint it.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:05 am

Hippie wrote:It's all pre-ordained anyway. The presidents are selected by the powers that be...and we aint it.
Not buying into this learned helplessness. I am grateful to be calmer after a couple of days of No Reading!!

Yes, we have enormous self-interests under the rug, yes we have the right to vote still, yes!! we can!! take to the streets and topple this government if we were sufficiently exercised, yes, the powers-that-be know damn well that if they did piss off the population in a big way, there would be a threat to their way of life.

Right now, we Americans are very much passive. Do not underestimate the power lurking underneath.
Colin

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:50 am

I was impressed that the CEO's of major corporations have come out for raising taxes to cut the deficit and try to bring the two parties to cut spending. A small light at the end of the tunnel as common sense says you have to do both to balance the budget.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:15 am

Bleyseng wrote:I was impressed that the CEO's of major corporations have come out for raising taxes to cut the deficit and try to bring the two parties to cut spending. A small light at the end of the tunnel as common sense says you have to do both to balance the budget.
I am ragingly curious to know what is going on, but I have been good. Just tearing into my car in the sunshine.
Lemmee guess . . .
race is too tight to tell.
Fox News says it is a Romney Wrap.
Axelrod says that Obama has the foundation to get the 270.
Romney spokespersons say that they will win Ohio.
I DID see a CNN spat regarding New Jersey governor Christie complimenting President Obama and them trying to get Romney campaign person twisted into a pretzel. So tedious.
Colin

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:26 am

Today Polltracker (iphone app) has Obama ahead by 1.3% which is unreal as Romney has been ahead on this poll for weeks by about the same %.
Been reading that it could come to Romney winning the popular vote and Obama winning the election.
Geoff

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:03 am

Bleyseng wrote:Today Polltracker (iphone app) has Obama ahead by 1.3% which is unreal as Romney has been ahead on this poll for weeks by about the same %.
Been reading that it could come to Romney winning the popular vote and Obama winning the election.
So what the hell is the purpose in even voting?

BTW. Both of these "candidates" suck. This is the best America has to offer? Not buying it.

Another four years of too many Americans getting fucked in some way.
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:53 am

My opinion is that if you vote you can then complain all you want. Don't vote, then shut up your mouth as you don't participate in the process.

I do feel both parties suck but the Dems still aren't as crazy as the GOP/Tea party.
Geoff

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:11 pm

poptop tom wrote: So what the hell is the purpose in even voting?

BTW. Both of these "candidates" suck. This is the best America has to offer?
You vote because you have the right, which, in the course of human history is pretty amazing, so look around a little and get some perspective.

If you can look at Obama, a bright, principled, eloquent guy who is currently winning the worldwide vote by 90% to Romney's 10%, and understand that he has actually started to right the incredible wrongs that led us into the recession (still have structural issues that we MUST talk about if we can ever get this hyper-partisan gridlock thing broken down), and has a deep legislative record in the past four years against some painfully boorish opposition, and claim that he "sucks", then I suggest that you do some some serious research so you can sound a little more informed. Really. We have had 44 Presidents, go look them up, and see if your opinion holds.

Now, *personally*, I had to go get some fresh air because Mitt Romney has truly brought disingenuousness to such an extreme degree that he has CEOs chastizing him and all of the nation's papers asking him to square up.

Yet, the election is close? How can this be? How can we fickle Americans experience the worst recession in seventy years and be bitching about the pace of the recovery after only four years when it is clear by all economists' forecasts, that it is going to take ten? Can money really buy voters who wish not to think for themselves? Koch Brothers and Karl Rove sure think so. I pray that the billions of useless dollars that could have been used to alleviate suffering!!! are so repudiated on Election Day, I pray! I pray that the tally is not close, no more stupid chads and recounts and nefarious skulduggery, please, please, please . . .

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:20 am

I'm voting so I can complain either way.
I get a kick out of the polads that complian how things in the economy aren't as good as they should be by now. Do they have any clue how bad things would have been by now without Obama's policies? The history of the Great Depression is out there for all to see. You can't save your way out of a depression. The Republicans should have thought about the necessity to throw some money out to save us from total economic collapse before they ran up such a debt for the Democrats to have to start out with.

yondermtn
Old School!

Post by yondermtn » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:01 am

I'm with poptop. Both these candidates suck.
Nothing wrong with wanting more from our elected officials.
1977 Westy 2.0FI
1990 Vanagon MV 2.1 Auto

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:33 am

poptop tom wrote:So what the hell is the purpose in even voting?

BTW. Both of these "candidates" suck. This is the best America has to offer? Not buying it.

Another four years of too many Americans getting fucked in some way.
There are plenty of other stuff on the ballot in many places. Write in whom you like if you wish. A lot of people have died over the years to pereserve your right to vote.

The reason people don't vote is that 1) they don't care and 2) are too lazy.
79 VW Bus

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:01 am

Anyone who is foolish enough to think that, going to a ballot box at this point and voting for a candidate, is going to change anything, is living in a universe that is as non-reality based as the 'Christian Right'. - Chris Hedges
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."