Attacks in Egypt and Libya

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Attacks in Egypt and Libya

Post by Sylvester » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:59 pm

This morning when I heard of Chris Stevens death and three others, after reading about the assault on the Egyptian embassy, I thought oh boy this is a wave coming at us. I had to read up on Ambassador to Libya Chris Stevens. The more I read the more I am impressed, to me he was the consummate American representative to the Middle East. Then I saw this video, and thought even more so we will certainly miss his representation, that we need more like him, and dread the consequences. I don't believe this was only in retaliation to some damn movie, and even if it was, our response to the world today was wrong. I agree with the Baltimore Sun when they said it should have sounded like this:
"The attack on our embassy in Libya was inexcusable and deplorable, and we mourn the loss of innocent life. The film that sparked the protests that led to this violence was produced by a private individual, and as a society, we protect individuals' right to free expression even when it is offensive. No matter how much we as a nation condemn the filmmaker's statements, we believe his right to make them is a cornerstone of democracy."
Ambassador Stevens made the video for the Libyan people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGk4vUcG ... e=youtu.be
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Re: Attacks in Egypt and Libya

Post by Bleyseng » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:12 pm

I like Obama's response- two destroyers and some marines were sent today.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

pj
Addicted!

Post by pj » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:13 pm

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:30 am

It appears the Libyan security that guarded the embassy staff were more influenced by the movie than their jobs and the well being of those they were protecting. If this is the case in a lot of places, going forward, then we have a lot more to worry about with our personnel overseas, troops, diplomats and businessmen.
Wissam Buhmeid, the commander of the Tripoli government-sanctioned Libya's Shield Brigade, effectively a police force for Benghazi, maintained that it was anger over the Mohamed video which made the guards abandon their post. "There were definitely people from the security forces who let the attack happen because they were themselves offended by the film; they would absolutely put their loyalty to the Prophet over the consulate. The deaths are all nothing compared to insulting the Prophet."
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:25 am

So if you were under motar and RPG attack you would stand your ground? Libyan ground troops rescued the persons in lock down in the safe house finally.
Geoff

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:55 am

Bleyseng wrote:So if you were under motar and RPG attack you would stand your ground? Libyan ground troops rescued the persons in lock down in the safe house finally.
Yes, that was their job. More than that though, Wissam Buhmeid said it was the anger over the movie that made the guards abandon their posts, not mortar fire. In other words they stepped aside and let the attack happen out of anger and sympathy for the attack. The terrorists who planned and executed the attack most like had nothing to do with that movie as a motivation.

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:10 am

I tend to think that they just turned "chicken" under the face of being shot, I would and not "its my job" would make me stay there. The movie is a excuse IMHO so they could save "face" and leave.
If the US wants security it needs to man the posts with Marines and not hire it out is my point. Too bad most marines were re-deployed to the two wars we fought. I know there are no marines at the Suriname Embassy as I have been there and to the Ambassadors house, just some hired locals with no guns!
Geoff

Spezialist

Post by Spezialist » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:20 am

I think the key to stronger defense in America is not giving a damn what happens elsewhere.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:44 am

I suspect this situation is a right-wing neo-con underwriten effort to undermine Obama's foreign policy credentials. Mitt Romney was pre-emptively primed and poised to pounce instantly. It backfired on him. How easy is it to piss off Islamic fundamentalists? Wait, I'll tell you. Extremely easy.
The movie is laughably crude but financed to the tune of 5 million dollars!?!
Now we have some crazy world-wide protest against the U.S. for some dumb movie done a while ago???? I ain't buying this as a natural reaction, I think it is being fomented.
ColinAmskeptic
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Spezialist

Post by Spezialist » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:59 pm

Ignore the New Effiacious World Stories. (CW)