Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

denjohn
Getting Hooked!

YOU AIN’T SEEN NOTHING YET – PART ONE

Post by denjohn » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:26 am

YOU AIN’T SEEN NOTHING YET – PART ONE
The rest of the article is at:
http://www.theburningplatform.com/?p=32217
“Human history seems logical in afterthought but a mystery in forethought. Writers of history have a way of describing interwar societies as coursing from postwar to prewar as though people alive at the time knew when that transition occurred.” – Strauss & Howe - The Fourth Turning

Watching pompous politicians, egotistical economists, arrogant investment geniuses, clueless media pundits, and self- proclaimed experts on the Great Depression predict an economic recovery and a return to normalcy would be amusing if it wasn’t so pathetic. Their lack of historical perspective does a huge disservice to the American people, as their failure to grasp the cyclical nature of history results in a broad misunderstanding of the Crisis the country is facing. The ruling class and opinion leaders are dominated by linear thinkers that believe the world progresses in a straight line. Despite all evidence of history clearly moving through cycles that repeat every eighty to one hundred years (a long human life), the present generations are always surprised by these turnings in history. I can guarantee you this country will not truly experience an economic recovery or progress for another fifteen to twenty years. If you think the last four years have been bad, you ain’t seen nothing yet.

Hope is not an option. There is too much debt, too little cash-flow, too many promises, too many lies, too little common sense, too much mass delusion, too much corruption, too little trust, too much hate, too many weapons in the hands of too many crazies, and too few visionary leaders to not create an epic worldwide implosion. Too bad. We’ve experienced horrific Crisis periods three times in the last 250 years and winter has arrived again exactly as forecasted by Strauss & Howe in 1997. The linear thinkers will continue to predict a recovery that never arrives. We have awful trials and tribulations, dreadful sacrifices of blood and treasure, and grim choices awaiting our country over the next fifteen years. Linear thinkers will scoff at such a statement as they irrationally view the world as a never ending forward progression towards a glorious future. History proves them wrong. We stand here in the year 2012 with no good options, only less worse options. Decades of foolishness, debt accumulation, and a materialistic feeding frenzy of delusion have left the world broke and out of options. And still our leaders accelerate the debt accumulation, while encouraging the masses to carry-on as if nothing has changed since 2008. Sadly, millions of lemmings want to believe they will not drown in the sea of un-payable commitments. Truth is a scarce resource on the planet today.

“Sometimes people don’t want to hear the truth because they don’t want their illusions destroyed.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
Peace
'71 bus, stock running gear ex SVDA and pertronix

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Re: YOU AIN’T SEEN NOTHING YET – PART ONE

Post by hambone » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:30 am

Maybe. But this guy doesn't know any more than we do.
No matter how you slice it, life is a short glorious madhouse, with lots of didn't see that comings.
"life is like a thump ripe melon - so sweet and such a mess" greg brown
"the future is not ours to see" some dude
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:04 pm

denjohn wrote:YOU AIN’T SEEN NOTHING YET – PART ONE
The rest of the article is at:
http://www.theburningplatform.com/?p=32217
We have awful trials and tribulations, dreadful sacrifices of blood and treasure, and grim choices awaiting our country over the next fifteen years.
Take a chill pill. If the international community dissolved all debt tomorrow by consensus, what would be the worst that could happen? Paper wealth evaporates?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:33 pm

Well, that... and mass chaos.
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

denjohn
Getting Hooked!

Post by denjohn » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:03 pm

Amskeptic wrote: If the international community dissolved all debt ............ by consensus,
And the likelihood of that is far less than my finding a flawless '71 bus, w 10 original miles on it, for $1,000.
Peace

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:51 pm

Well that's certainly pessimistic.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:50 pm

Unless...are you being pessimistic?
I just don't know anymore.
I gotta get off this computer, everything I'm writing is weird this evening. Flipped th' old lid I guess.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:15 pm

Let me clarify. The original article is pessimistic, not any comment beyond that.

neal

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:36 pm

denjohn wrote:
Amskeptic wrote: If the international community dissolved all debt ............ by consensus,
And the likelihood of that is far less than my finding a flawless '71 bus, w 10 original miles on it, for $1,000.
Sure sure sure of course, but I am serious. If mass mayhem is right around the corner, disolving all debts hurts not a damn soul. It is a GAME, this money thing. So some people lose huge paper profit portfolios, heck it ain't even paper any more, it is binary numbers, what would they lose? Is mass social destruction with real suffering less tragic? Trillions of dollars of debt only occurs in a game where trillions of dollars are hoarded.

What would happen if all debts were written off?
Colin

denjohn
Getting Hooked!

Post by denjohn » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:50 am

Amskeptic wrote: What would happen if all debts were written off?
Colin
Tho it's good to consider all possible remedial action, the likelihood of that happening is next to nothing.
It seems one's time would be better spent contemplating/preparing for more likely consequences of our societal karma.
The debt is mostly owned by the powers that be, it ain't getting written off.
The bailouts in recent years have basically bailed out the banks, Greece didn't get (temporarily) bailed out, their debt holders, the big banks, did.
Printing money, in countries where that is possible, is seen by the powers that be as a much more comfortable solution compared to debt default.
There may be a lot of debt defaulted on going forward, but it will not be by international community consensus.
If mass mayhem is right around the corner, disolving all debts hurts not a damn soul.
The first thing that comes to mind is all the pension funds holding so much debt, bonds.
The second thing is those dependent on Social Security.
Peace

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:56 pm

yes, the correction would be massive...but the correction would be neccessary, and equal in size to the size of the dis-allocation/debt that has been building for decades under the Keynesian model so much loved by politicians.

Politically no-one has the balls to end it ...so they will prolong it with QEs and whatever else until it crashes under its own gargantuan weight.
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:31 pm

denjohn wrote:
Amskeptic wrote: What would happen if all debts were written off?
Colin
Tho it's good to consider all possible remedial action, the likelihood of that happening is next to nothing.
It seems one's time would be better spent contemplating/preparing for more likely consequences of our societal karma.
The debt is mostly owned by the powers that be, it ain't getting written off.
The bailouts in recent years have basically bailed out the banks, Greece didn't get (temporarily) bailed out, their debt holders, the big banks, did.
Printing money, in countries where that is possible, is seen by the powers that be as a much more comfortable solution compared to debt default.
There may be a lot of debt defaulted on going forward, but it will not be by international community consensus.
If mass mayhem is right around the corner, disolving all debts hurts not a damn soul.
The first thing that comes to mind is all the pension funds holding so much debt, bonds.
The second thing is those dependent on Social Security.
OK, I have not spoken catastrophically enough. The Powers That Be know damn well that their power depends upon the acquiescence of the masses. I am saying, when the stupid game crashes, the powers that be have absolutely nothing to control with. It will be about food and water and shelter. Just like when the Titanic was going down and that knucklehead husband of "Rose", he is trying to throw money at the deckhand to get a seat on the lifeboat? Do you see what I mean yet? There is a moment when the game breaks down. At that moment, Powers That Be will only be able to hang on if they do reset the game.

If you are telling me that greed or the inability to even think of alternatives would make the PowersThatBe hang on to forcing people to play by the same rules that put them into indentured servitude to some bank's credit card division, watch what happens.

denjohn
Getting Hooked!

Post by denjohn » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:16 pm

Colin, it seems we are getting a bit tangential here.
To be clear, the basic point I was debating was the next to nothing likelihood of "If the international community dissolved all debt ............ by consensus".
I am not debating that there will be debt default.

From your last post, I get the feeling that we perhaps have a different view of the "Crash", you seem to view it as a rather short term event.
I suspect it could be a longer term unraveling, many folks economically affected by recent events would probably agree that an unraveling is under way. Default is also a part of this unraveling, witness Greece.
When and if the crash comes, I agree w your "the powers that be have absolutely nothing to control with" and that debt will be defaulted upon. But it ain't gonna happen nice and neatly by consensus of the international community.
I doubt any crashing will be a simultaneous global event, it may be a global event, but i believe that the unravelling will occur at a different pace and degree in different places.
"It will be about food and water and shelter.".........tho that's a possibility to be aware of, and it will be for more folks than it already is, hopefully it won't be the new norm. Hopefully when enuf folks have a clearer view of the problems and their causes, more skillful decisions will be made to lessen the suffering ahead, and we can come out on the other side less scathed.
If you are telling me that greed or the inability to even think of alternatives would make the PowersThatBe hang on to forcing people to play by the same rules that put them into indentured servitude to some bank's credit card division
Yeah, I believe they do as long as they perceive it to be in their best interest. And that it will be a deluded perception greatly clouded by greed.
watch what happens
Yeah, right.
Peace

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:54 pm

I don't see how we can do anything but "watch what happens". It certainly feels like that is all I have ever done.

neal

denjohn
Getting Hooked!

Post by denjohn » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:00 pm

ruckman101 wrote:I don't see how we can do anything but "watch what happens". It certainly feels like that is all I have ever done.

neal
Hopefully when enuf folks have a clearer view of the problems and their causes, more skillful decisions will be made to lessen the suffering ahead, and we can come out on the other side less scathed.
Peace