Conscience, Contraceptives and Hypocrisy

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Conscience, Contraceptives and Hypocrisy

Post by RussellK » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:40 am

Compelling arguments from both camps and in the thick of it at his most vocal is our Archbishop Carlson. An itellectually gifted man who has allowed the issue to reduce him to his own brand of hyperbole. Its interesting that in the midst of his wail of keeping government out of religion, he is asking for state issued vouchers for children attending his archdioscean schools. The same school system that recently launched a campaign to make them more "Catholic" Father I would be happy to agree to keep government out of your church when you agree to keep your church out of my government.

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Re: Conscience, Contraceptives and Hypocrisy

Post by vdubyah73 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:16 am

if the gov't issues vouchers for private schools how can you fairly exclude one that is within the academic parameters set by the same gov't? because it teaches religion? thats absurd.

disclaimer, i'm a recovering catholic, don't think very highly of the vatican gov't nor its diplomats. their private schools however are fairly well regarded accademically.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:53 am

Are vouchers issued for private schools? I wouldn't be in favor of that either. It seems to me once you head down the path of school vouchers you're heading toward an erosion of public school funding. That money comes from somewhere. When that happens its the kids enrolled in public school that will suffer the consequence and the priveleged kids get their private school education partially underwritten courtesy of Mr. Taxpayer. And this isn't a criticism of private catholic schools Bill. My wife and both children are products of private catholic schools. And they got great educations. It took a lot of sacrifice to pay their tuition but it was a choice freely made and we never expected or hoped for a voucher to offset that cost.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:43 pm

RussellK wrote:Father I would be happy to agree to keep government out of your church when you agree to keep your church out of my government.
=D>
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:09 pm

The "funniest" arguments I've heard in the whole debate are from men saying they shouldn't have to pay for condoms if women don't have to pay for hormonal birth control. First, there are plenty of places to get free condoms already. Second, and much more importantly, women don't just "make" babies. It takes two to tango, so to speak, and so it doesn't matter who gets the "control".
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:54 pm

DjEep wrote:The "funniest" arguments I've heard in the whole debate are from men saying they shouldn't have to pay for condoms if women don't have to pay for hormonal birth control. First, there are plenty of places to get free condoms already. Second, and much more importantly, women don't just "make" babies. It takes two to tango, so to speak, and so it doesn't matter who gets the "control".
Men? Little brat boys in big bodies.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:03 pm

=D>
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?