Iran Israel US

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Iran Israel US

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:51 pm

I am a little out of the loop these days, as I can find myself free of the news for days at a time, but what is going on with Iran and Israel? Do we have the right to demand of a sovereign nation like Iran that they not be free to pursue their definition of military security "happiness", because we do not trust them or like them? Can Israel attack Iran using George Bush's doctrine of Preemptive War, with a claim that they were "protecting themselves" from "perceived imminent attack"?

Honestly, where do we draw the line between sovereignity and collective interest? On a smaller level, this is almost like the gun control issues in this country where you'd expect Republicans to assert the freedom to bear arms (nuclear weapons) trumps international collective security (bleeding heart they-want-to-take-your-guns-away liberals).

What is the honest way to deal with this?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Re: Iran Israel US

Post by vdubyah73 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:17 am

do you not recall the iranian governments repeated asserstions of its goal to destroy israel, wipe it off the map? that is enough reason for me.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:56 am

Amskeptic wrote:What is the honest way to deal with this?
Colin
Vote on a war resolution.
Amskeptic wrote:On a smaller level, this is almost like the gun control issues in this country where you'd expect Republicans to assert the freedom to bear arms (nuclear weapons) trumps international collective security (bleeding heart they-want-to-take-your-guns-away liberals).
I see your analogy a little differently. I might argue that bearing arms IS security and gun control is less secure because I don't think that gun control can really stop the bad guys. Would we be talking about going to war with Iran if they had a nuclear weapon? We don't push Pakistan around, do we?

Edit; I see your point and am confounded by the hypocrisy of the Republicans as well.
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:06 am

vdubyah73 wrote:do you not recall the iranian governments repeated asserstions of its goal to destroy israel, wipe it off the map? that is enough reason for me.
Death to Traffic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk6sSbpM ... Tw&index=5

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:48 pm

BellePlaine wrote:
vdubyah73 wrote:do you not recall the iranian governments repeated asserstions of its goal to destroy israel, wipe it off the map? that is enough reason for me.
Death to Traffic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk6sSbpM ... Tw&index=5
Yes!!

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:49 pm

As one of the comments said "Amen, Rick". :salute:
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:46 pm

Death to noisy 2-stroke leaf-blowers !!
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:52 pm

dingo wrote:Death to noisy 2-stroke leaf-blowers !!
Looking forward to the post-abundant cheap-convenience-energy life, dingo?
. . . where you won't hear swarms of gasoline powered gnats, but rather the people with brooms and rakes.

"HEY! CHARLIE! WHADDYDOINFRIDAYNIGHT? HAHH?? YEAH SURE SEE YA THERE! OH SHE"S COMING TOO?"

72Hardtop
Old School!

Post by 72Hardtop » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:43 am

BellePlaine wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:What is the honest way to deal with this?
Colin
Vote on a war resolution.
Amskeptic wrote:On a smaller level, this is almost like the gun control issues in this country where you'd expect Republicans to assert the freedom to bear arms (nuclear weapons) trumps international collective security (bleeding heart they-want-to-take-your-guns-away liberals).
I see your analogy a little differently. I might argue that bearing arms IS security and gun control is less secure because I don't think that gun control can really stop the bad guys. Would we be talking about going to war with Iran if they had a nuclear weapon? We don't push Pakistan around, do we?

Edit; I see your point and am confounded by the hypocrisy of the Republicans as well.
You don't see the Pakastani government threatining to wipe Israel off the map. As for our treatment toward their sovereignty? Killing Bin Laden pretty much details that.

Israel will indeed lay into them very soon. And when they do Iran will wish they had just gone along with the program.
1972 Westy tintop
2056cc T-4 - 7.8:1 CR
Weber 40mm Duals - 47.5idles, 125mains, F11 tubes, 190 Air corr., 28mm Vents
96mm AA Biral P/C's w/Hastings rings
42x36mm Heads (AMC- Headflow Masters) w/Porsche swivel adjusters
71mm Stroke
Web Cam 73 w/matched Web lifters
S&S 4-1 exhaust w/Walker 17862 quiet-pack
Pertronix SVDA w/Pertronix module & Flamethrower 40K coil (7* initial 28* total @3200+)
NGK BP6ET plugs
002 3 rib trans
Hankook 185R14's

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:18 am

72Hardtop wrote:Israel will indeed lay into them very soon. And when they do Iran will wish they had just gone along with the program.
One can only hope. People are worried about this scaling into a larger conflict, but I suspect there is enough dislike of Iran as a political entity among the larger Middle Eastern community that the condemnation of such a strike won't extend to a regional conflict based on military engagement. Won't be easy though.

Pakistan is a good example for another reason; they don't deploy irrational rhetoric at the governmental level because India has nuclear weapons as well; India and Pakistan have long-standing conflicts that occasionally flare into combat, but Pakistan knows with certainty that irresponsible threats have real consequences when you're neighbor can nuke you too.

Best,

Michael L

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:22 pm

Israel won't do this, they will wait for the US to do it as the repurcussions would be too great if Israel acted alone or 1st. The US wont act soon as Iran is still aways from having enough uranium to make a bomb, and we are waiting for the sanctions to have full effect.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

72Hardtop
Old School!

Post by 72Hardtop » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:21 pm

RSorak 71Westy wrote:Israel won't do this, they will wait for the US to do it as the repurcussions would be too great if Israel acted alone or 1st. The US wont act soon as Iran is still aways from having enough uranium to make a bomb, and we are waiting for the sanctions to have full effect.
Sanctions?? Iran has been isolated by the world more or less since 1979. As for Israel they won't wait they shown that before. This is a critical year for Iran.
1972 Westy tintop
2056cc T-4 - 7.8:1 CR
Weber 40mm Duals - 47.5idles, 125mains, F11 tubes, 190 Air corr., 28mm Vents
96mm AA Biral P/C's w/Hastings rings
42x36mm Heads (AMC- Headflow Masters) w/Porsche swivel adjusters
71mm Stroke
Web Cam 73 w/matched Web lifters
S&S 4-1 exhaust w/Walker 17862 quiet-pack
Pertronix SVDA w/Pertronix module & Flamethrower 40K coil (7* initial 28* total @3200+)
NGK BP6ET plugs
002 3 rib trans
Hankook 185R14's

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:56 pm

72Hardtop wrote:
RSorak 71Westy wrote:Israel won't do this, they will wait for the US to do it as the repurcussions would be too great if Israel acted alone or 1st. The US wont act soon as Iran is still aways from having enough uranium to make a bomb, and we are waiting for the sanctions to have full effect.
Sanctions?? Iran has been isolated by the world more or less since 1979. As for Israel they won't wait they shown that before. This is a critical year for Iran.
Israel can do what they want but we need to go home.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/12/world ... -held.html

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:46 am

BellePlaine wrote:
72Hardtop wrote:
Israel can do what they want but we need to go home.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/12/world ... -held.html
Can you imagine the surge in appreciation of the US abroad, and the surge of available money to assist here at home, if we would give up on that stupid, stupid Dollar Diplomacy model?

If we would return to doing what we do best (be Americans who value freedom) instead of trying to control the world's development, people of all nations would look at us again with hope, rather than disdain. The many peoples of the world may lack education, but they're not stupid; they see how our foreign policy uses money and access to weapons/power to get what we want. They hate it. And they hate it more when we use force to back those tools up. I'm with you; let us bring our government funded BS home. If private groups want to fund outreach efforts, so be it. But we should not be in the business of regime change, regime manipulation or or anything of the like.

Best,

Michael L

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:58 am

Lanval wrote: we should not be in the business of regime change, regime manipulation or or anything of the like.

Best,

Michael L
=D> =D>