SOPA / PIPA

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Xelmon
Sedna of VW lovers

SOPA / PIPA

Post by Xelmon » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:03 pm

If you haven't heard of this, you may not be connected to the web.

Wikipedia in protest

The EFF in protest

Or as a matter of fact... Go to Google of all places.

There are few things that are still relatively free in this world, and the Internet is one of those places.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: SOPA / PIPA

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:56 am

Xelmon wrote:If you haven't heard of this, you may not be connected to the web.

Wikipedia in protest

The EFF in protest

Or as a matter of fact... Go to Google of all places.

There are few things that are still relatively free in this world, and the Internet is one of those places.
Are there legitimate concerns about online piracy that can be addressed by this legislation, or do you see a power grab exclusively?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:25 am

Sign the petition on Google, protest from afar! Well, I did.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:18 pm

Me 2.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:38 pm

I have to admit, so far on the web those protesting it aren't being very descriptive of what all the biss are trying to do. I can't help but think it reminds me of a slanted newscast or a lawyer that only shows you what they want you to see. I have read about it, but hanging around places like this makes me suspicious of statements like:

"stop amendment 17!!!!!"

And not much more. It sticks in my head that I will vote no on amendment 17, but I don't know anything about it.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

yondermtn
Old School!

Post by yondermtn » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:46 pm

megaupload.com shut down by the Feds

What do they need this SOPA/PIPA for?
1977 Westy 2.0FI
1990 Vanagon MV 2.1 Auto

Getting Hooked!

Post by 3072 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:49 pm

Sylvester wrote:I have to admit, so far on the web those protesting it aren't being very descriptive of what all the biss are trying to do. I can't help but think it reminds me of a slanted newscast or a lawyer that only shows you what they want you to see. I have read about it, but hanging around places like this makes me suspicious of statements like:

"stop amendment 17!!!!!"

And not much more. It sticks in my head that I will vote no on amendment 17, but I don't know anything about it.
Mostly the powerfull hollywood hobknobs and certain 'political individuals', lobbying government under the guise of "fighting piracy"... all the while trying to kill free speech over the net.

I swear -- between SOPA/PIPA, our votes being purchased by a foreign firm, the Detainment w/o trial 167 bill... we really are no longer governed by leadership, no matter which aisle you lean to.

FUCK'EMALL!!! Elite money grubbing power hungry bastards.
I don't wanna be known as Anti-Government.. but our leaders leave me NO choice.
Jerks makes ya want to take up drinkin!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:07 am

3072 wrote: Mostly the powerfull hollywood hobknobs and certain 'political individuals', lobbying government under the guise of "fighting piracy"... all the while trying to kill free speech over the net. I swear -- between SOPA/PIPA, our votes being purchased by a foreign firm, the Detainment w/o trial 167 bill... we really are no longer governed by leadership, no matter which aisle you lean to.

FUCK'EMALL!!! Elite money grubbing power hungry bastards.
Let's not. The thought of you doing everyone in Congress is disturbing.

Note that a huge public response to the SOPA bill stopped it cold yesterday. Public participation, m'boy, that's the ticket and you don't have morning after regret either.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Xelmon
Sedna of VW lovers

Post by Xelmon » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:08 am

Amskeptic wrote:Let's not. The thought of you doing everyone in Congress is disturbing.

Note that a huge public response to the SOPA bill stopped it cold yesterday. Public participation, m'boy, that's the ticket and you don't have morning after regret either.
Colin
I was too busy explaining what it did to people last week.

Yeah, it's tight enough to be a low, however loose enough to be utterly craptacular once some big people get their hands into it.