Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Speaking Of The Modern American Dilemma

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:15 pm

... please read and comment.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/15/opini ... ted=3&_r=1

It seriously agrees with what I see all around me, wonderful people multi-tasking themselves into an overloaded despair of overextended self-recognized mediocrity. It is not fair, and I think it has been visited upon us by the rah rah corporate cultural glad-handing style of pushing people into rattled distraction with both an increasing workload and a new bunch of communication toys, profitable toys. I have attempted to converse with people in the middle of texting, and when I wait for them to finish, they look at me like I am violating some new etiquette?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Re: Speaking Of The Modern American Dilemma

Post by Lanval » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:51 pm

Amskeptic wrote:... please read and comment.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/15/opini ... ted=3&_r=1

It seriously agrees with what I see all around me, wonderful people multi-tasking themselves into an overloaded despair of overextended self-recognized mediocrity. It is not fair, and I think it has been visited upon us by the rah rah corporate cultural glad-handing style of pushing people into rattled distraction with both an increasing workload and a new bunch of communication toys, profitable toys. I have attempted to converse with people in the middle of texting, and when I wait for them to finish, they look at me like I am violating some new etiquette?
Colin
There is a reason that the modern myth of genius centers around a lone thinker, isolated from society socially and physically. Only then are you free to pursue your own interest without the threat of social opprobrium.

On the other hand, these are the same circumstances preferred by those who are essentially anti-social and even psychopathic. Ted K. wrote some brilliant observations about the nature of modern life; he also blew people up. Two sides of the same coin.

The key then is to find a middle ground, which is what the essay seems to suggest with the Woz at HP example; enough socialization to invoke social engagement, with enough freedom to pursue his own ideas. Pretty rare, I think.

Michael L

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:56 pm

Lanval wrote: On the other hand, these are the same circumstances preferred by those who are essentially anti-social and even psychopathic. Ted K. wrote some brilliant observations about the nature of modern life; he also blew people up. Two sides of the same coin.

The key then is to find a middle ground,
I see a Cause/Effect tautology here, with a conclusion that says, "therefore, do not stray towards the edges".

I think Ted's psychopathology and tendency towards anti-social behavior may have been inspired by experiences that he naturally recoiled from. A seven year-old who can do advanced calculus but hates to play laser swords with his peers, or a ten year-old who plays the great piano compositions but doesn't enjoy the adult dinner company worth a damn, may just be following a passion the likes of which we can't imagine.
ColinCan'tDoCalculusOrPiano

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:46 am

Rather than "Don't go near the edges" I would suggest "Understand that edges are dangerous" which is somewhat different; I don't mean that in merely semantic terms, either. Balance is a fundamental natural order, and extremes are part of balance. They are also extreme, and at the ends of the spectrum, which suggests that they should also be rare.

From that I conclude that finding a middle ground between group-think and absolute individualism, which might take different forms, is the key to avoiding the excesses of either extreme. The article suggest this in the final example of Woz who was able to both engage socially/intellectually in a low-challenge state where his creativity doesn't automatically meet resistance from a group-determined mindset; he was able to discuss things in a social environment that stripped away the risk of challenge, allowing creativity, and, crucially, the freedom to take his social experience back to an isolated state to play with... the best of both worlds. The key, there, as is clear from the article, is the situation; rather than a charged meeting in which egos and careers are on the line, an informal meeting format that reduces the need to adhere to a safe position allows a social interchange that's based on people contributing their ideas freely, since nothing need be lost socially/personally/professionally by failure in the social setting.

Best,

Michael L

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:53 am

Lanval wrote:Rather than "Don't go near the edges" I would suggest "Understand that edges are dangerous" which is somewhat different; I don't mean that in merely semantic terms, either. Balance is a fundamental natural order, and extremes are part of balance. They are also extreme, and at the ends of the spectrum, which suggests that they should also be rare.

From that I conclude that finding a middle ground between group-think and absolute individualism, which might take different forms, is the key to avoiding the excesses of either extreme. The article suggest this in the final example of Woz who was able to both engage socially/intellectually in a low-challenge state where his creativity doesn't automatically meet resistance from a group-determined mindset; he was able to discuss things in a social environment that stripped away the risk of challenge, allowing creativity, and, crucially, the freedom to take his social experience back to an isolated state to play with... the best of both worlds. The key, there, as is clear from the article, is the situation; rather than a charged meeting in which egos and careers are on the line, an informal meeting format that reduces the need to adhere to a safe position allows a social interchange that's based on people contributing their ideas freely, since nothing need be lost socially/personally/professionally by failure in the social setting.

Best,

Michael L
As I look around at my culture, I figure there is a tip towards group-think, so I keep edging out on the plank over on the other side. Let me know if I go psycho:
"hey Colin, what are you doing out here?"
"waxingtheshockabsorberswaxibgtheshockabsorberswaxingtheohnodustdustdusttoomuchdust..."

But seriously folks, we are all (mostly) free to find our place on the continuum in our individual lives while we observe the greater phenomena.

This article resonated with me because it answered why the retreat from my prior engagement/interaction *felt healthy*. I find that many of my friends are having difficulty with organizing their lives, thinking clearly, focusing, being able to relax deeply, and some are also unable to get out of their own heads to play or hang out with their kids. Is this a symptom of our American "group-think" culture, where the din of social media, 24/7 news, and capitalist "productivity" shove, is rattling us apart?

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:51 am

Amskeptic wrote:I find that many of my friends are having difficulty with organizing their lives, thinking clearly, focusing, being able to relax deeply, and some are also unable to get out of their own heads to play or hang out with their kids.
Ouch. Truth. Pain. Hurts.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:00 am

Velokid1 wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:I find that many of my friends are having difficulty with organizing their lives, thinking clearly, focusing, being able to relax deeply, and some are also unable to get out of their own heads to play or hang out with their kids.
I am guilty of this, and Colin was the one who told me so.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:32 pm

Sylvester wrote:
Velokid1 wrote:
I am guilty of this, and Colin was the one who told me so.
I hope I was more gentle than guilt-provoking.

It makes me feel bad to see the interaction between children who do not yet know what the fuss is, and the adults who are consumed subsumed presumed a part of it all. The article I posted about the retail sales workers in New York is part and parcel of this group-think that now assumes we can't even ask WHY the hell people should be treated as on-call part time workers with no benefit of benefits or the ability to plan their lives much less their days. How could this not destroy anyone's ability to sit and dream and ponder without imploding into anxiety?
ColinNowI'mStarted :blackeye: