What's up, Caucus?

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

What's up, Caucus?

Post by BellePlaine » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:21 pm

I voluntarily spent an evening last week at the local pizza joint to attend "caucus training". Some states hold caucuses and some states hold primaries; Minnesota's caucus is on February 7th, same as Colorado's and Missouri's, although Missouri holds primaries.

Anyhow, it was very informative and I felt like I was taking a simple step to become further involved in the political process other than simply voting in the national election, kind of like I was planting a garden of vegetables of my own choosing instead of buying whatever the grocery store had picked out.

At the precinct caucuses, attendees discuss public policy issues and pass resolutions, vote in a straw poll, elect precinct officers, and most importantly elect delegates. These precinct delegates elect district delegates, those district delegates then their party’s state convention delegates. Or something like that. I guess this is a system brought over from England to the new colonies. It probably was an efficient system at the time. Lanval, you probably know about this stuff, right?

Anyway, in case I ever come off as being too cynical against “government” and I sound like a big bummer with my sell-outs, bail-outs, and inflation taxes; well hey, I’m taking a positive step to apply what I’ve learned about myself and go beyond the IAC Free Speech Forum.
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Re: What's up, Caucus?

Post by ruckman101 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:16 pm

Right on!

Pretty sure primaries here in Washington State. It's all new to me, having lived in Oregon since I was ten up until last year. I always vote, though, every election, even the ones many consider minor.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:56 pm

Thanks Neil! That is pretty cool that you vote in even the minor elections.

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:33 am

Now that's what I'm talking about. You're correct; we hold primaries in Missouri but there has been discussion about going to a caucus. Are you up for yard signs?

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:25 am

It is an interesting process.
I know many know about the electoral college for the presidential election, but most don't know about how the "candidate" for each party is picked.
This year in Florida they did the registration for delegates quick and quietly, leaving out many of us common folk who would have voted for Ron Paul.
It is just another layer to further assure the establishment man gets in office, it is easier than threatening the candidate afterwards with death to do what they want.

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:29 am

steve74baywin wrote:It is an interesting process.
I know many know about the electoral college for the presidential election, but most don't know about how the "candidate" for each party is picked.
This year in Florida they did the registration for delegates quick and quietly, leaving out many of us common folk who would have voted for Ron Paul.
It is just another layer to further assure the establishment man gets in office, it is easier than threatening the candidate afterwards with death to do what they want.

Steve, I think that Florida's offical primary is on January 31st.

Yard signs; maybe. I'm a little worried about what my neighbors and friends might think! :drunken:

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:55 am

BellePlaine wrote:Yard signs; maybe. I'm a little worried about what my neighbors and friends might think! :drunken:
Don't be. Last Presidential election my side of the street sported Obama signs and across were McCain signs. Never any hard feelings about it. Block parties, over 50 parties, never a mention. Last local referendum someone stuck a sign on my lawn without asking. No one would own up to it.

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:14 am

RussellK wrote:
BellePlaine wrote:Yard signs; maybe. I'm a little worried about what my neighbors and friends might think! :drunken:
Don't be. Last Presidential election my side of the street sported Obama signs and across were McCain signs. Never any hard feelings about it. Block parties, over 50 parties, never a mention. Last local referendum someone stuck a sign on my lawn without asking. No one would own up to it.
Yeah, but everyone knows that RP supporters are crazy wack-o's. :geek: Thanks for the encouragment.

I kinda wanna move to your neighborhood, sounds like a good time! Did you take down the local referendum sign?

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:31 am

Next step is actually running for a local office BellePlaine. I've never been that brave, but at least one IAC member has been. That's truly putting your money where your mouth is. Even got elected.

neal

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:57 am

ruckman101 wrote:Next step is actually running for a local office BellePlaine. I've never been that brave, but at least one IAC member has been. That's truly putting your money where your mouth is. Even got elected.

neal
Oh my gosh, who was that?!

Running for office would give me a new perspective, and a ride in a convertable in the Bar-B-Que Days parade!

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:10 pm

I'm not spilling his news.

neal

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:24 pm

BellePlaine wrote:
steve74baywin wrote:It is an interesting process.

Steve, I think that Florida's offical primary is on January 31st.
It's not the primary I'm talking about missing, it's the dead line to be chosen as a delegate to actually cast a vote that counts.

Edtied to add,
They moved up the date for choosing the delegates. The delegates are the ones that cast a vote that actually counts in the primaries(like the electoral college). Now of course, the delegates supposedly vote the way their district voted, but it is not an absolute. They picked the delegates over 6 months ago. They also moved up our primary date, and by doing so they will be penalized by the Repub National, we lose half of our delegates.
Delegates at the Congressional District level will be chosen between Wednesday 8 February (tentative) and Wednesday 25 April 2012 (tentative) at the delegate selection caucuses. At-Large delegates will be chosen between Wednesday 8 February (tentative) and Saturday 26 May 2012 (tentative) at an Republican Party of Florida Executive Board meeting.
From what I understand the above was done early, I have not verified that though.
Taken from http://www.thegreenpapers.com/P12/FL-R

On 30 September 2011, the Florida Presidential Preference Primary Date Selection Committee voted 7-2 to hold the Florida Presidential Primary on Tuesday 31 January 2012.

The date appears to put the Florida Republican delegate selection plan in violation of the Rules of the Republican Party. Rule 15(b)(1) states
"No primary, caucus, or convention to elect, select, allocate, or bind delegates to the national convention shall occur prior to the first Tuesday in March in the year in which a national convention is held. Except Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina, and Nevada may begin their processes at any time on or after February 1 in the year in which a national convention is held ..."

Rule 16(a) indicates that Florida will forfeit 50% of their National Convention delegates.
"If any state or state Republican Party violates The Rules of the Republican Party relating to the timing ... the number of delegates to the national convention from that state shall be reduced by fifty percent (50%) ... "
The above seems to be confirmed, the governor seemed to have a strong desire to have our primaries right after South Carolina for some reason.
Taking from http://www.thegreenpapers.com/P12/FL-R

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:50 am

Thanks for the clarification. It's seems like having the delegates chosen so much earlier than the primary would hurt Florida more than if they were chosen at the same time as the primary. To get your state’s nomination, I would mainly have to convince the few delegates to vote for me instead of the general public.

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:09 pm

BellePlaine wrote:Thanks for the clarification. It's seems like having the delegates chosen so much earlier than the primary would hurt Florida more than if they were chosen at the same time as the primary. To get your state’s nomination, I would mainly have to convince the few delegates to vote for me instead of the general public.
Yes, as usual, IMHO, it seems it works opposite of what we would want. It makes it easier for cronies and harder for a pure democratic way of electing men to positions.
I barely know what I posted about, it was for the 2008 election that I started to learn how the Repub candidates are picked.
I wonder if the Democrats do it the same way?

Eliminating many of us from being able to be one of the ones at the big convention, which is where they finally pick the people who actually vote, supposedly vote what the people vote, it would make it easier if there was network of richies who always get there man. Perhaps by moving Florida up so soon right after SC they will ensure Ron Paul isn't picked, even if we lose 1/2 our delegates for the national vote, they may be happier just showing Florida for say "Romney", just like SC might be for "Romney" or insert whatever candidate is the establishment man, but they might be happier just showing someone else winning in the beginning, this will aide many sheep in not voting for Ron Paul. IE, If they control the first few states and the media then it may be a done deal, the rest of the states will follow.
Anyways, keep us posted on your experience, this could prove to be interesting.