Another GodAwful Massacre In A School

Over 18 ONLY! For grown-ups. . .

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

JLT
Old School!

Re: Another GodAwful Massacre In A School

Post by JLT » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:57 pm

Amskeptic wrote:Yes, jlt, I lived through a gun hostage situation as well, at the age of four.
I didn't know that. IMHO, that give you cred on this issue that most people don't have. If Hippie's still around, I hope he understands that for many of us, the issue hits much closer to home than a lot of the stuff we gas about. Not that the rest of the stuff is trivial, but there aren't many things that are so life-altering and gut-wrenching that we have to take them personally. This is one of those issues.
and I participated in the NRA's Marksmanship program . . . up to Bar 2.
Colin
FWIW, I did some training with handguns and rifles with the Boy Scouts. I lost my taste for hunting after getting shot at (but that's another story.)
-- JLT
Sacramento CA

Present bus: '71 Dormobile Westie "George"
(sometimes towing a '65 Allstate single-wheel trailer)
Former buses: '61 17-window Deluxe "Pink Bus"
'70 Frankenwestie "Blunder Bus"
'71 Frankenwestie "Thunder Bus"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:09 pm

Following the aftermath . . . the NRA has come out with a proposal to install armed guards in every school.
What do you think?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:51 pm

Amskeptic wrote:Following the aftermath . . . the NRA has come out with a proposal to install armed guards in every school.
What do you think?
Colin
when all you know is hammers - everything looks like a nail.

also worth noting - there was a (hired) armed guard at Columbine. once they shot him they went on to kill 13 more before killing themselves.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:04 pm

airkooledchris wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:Following the aftermath . . . the NRA has come out with a proposal to install armed guards in every school.
What do you think?
Colin
when all you know is hammers - everything looks like a nail.

also worth noting - there was a (hired) armed guard at Columbine. once they shot him they went on to kill 13 more before killing themselves.
I still have enough delinquency in me to remember my nail days, and I did recognize the challenge I offered to hammers to have a little practice. A loner "who cares?" gunman who plans on dying in a hail of bullets or by his own hand, is likely to enjoy his last attempt to outwit The Man. I remember well when the bogus establishment school authorities would come down on us for high crimes (smoking behind the drama studio), we would put some thought in how best to outwit them. It is as natural as breathing. So why do we think that it just takes more guns? Did that solve the cold war?

Better yet, I think we need to look very very closely at how children get disenfranchised. There are few kindergarten-age serial killers, but they do start to spring up at the pubertal age. What changes between kindergarten and high school? Well, I think the common denominator is disenfranchisement > a child can get alienated by many factors, but these factors are not invisible.

I wonder if the very same gun proponents who think arming teachers and custodians and having guards stationed at barricaded doors in our schools are the same people who cannot see the heart of the world we want to usher our children into and the heart of a elementary school educational experience and the heart of a civilized society that has evolved past this sickeningly adversarial outlook. There are entire functional industrialized economies who have managed to have 90% fewer gun homicides than we do, why don't we learn from them?

When I had the wonderful opportunity to set the flavor at a summer camp, I warned incoming counselors that they would never be able to force respect, but they sure could earn it.
Colin

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:17 pm

What do you think?
Colin

The most secure places I'm aware of are prisons.
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:28 pm

glasseye wrote:
What do you think?
Colin

The most secure places I'm aware of are prisons.
. . . and are they not the very most dehumanizing?
Colin

grandfatherjim
Addicted!

Post by grandfatherjim » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:56 pm

What is going on when people tune in and listen to this guy? What is the benefit of letting your passion/fear/paranoia/idealism/whatever derail common sense? Could it be that there is some kind of deep deep denial in the psyche of such people that is rooted in a profound sense of insecurity stemming from living in a society that has put money ahead of social values?
I think capitalism has run its course and the time to switch to a system that places value on such things as happiness and life expectancy, for example. is overdue.

Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... or9v2LwHoY

Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... -v1UXFMzl0#!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:38 pm

grandfatherjim wrote:Could it be that there is some kind of deep deep denial in the psyche of such people that is rooted in a profound sense of insecurity stemming from living in a society that has put money ahead of social values?
That guy is a loon. Unable to CONverse . . .

I would say that he is not so much the product of a society that puts money ahead of social values (and we are a society that puts money ahead of social values), as the product of an insane childhood that has blasted his boundaries and rationality to the winds, he is free to find all number of others who go off in these paranoid directions, and now he is making money at it?? Only in America. By the way, Alex made some interesting points, but how could we ever have a real discussion with him?
Colin

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:48 pm

For someone who talks down on pharmaceuticals a lot - he sure could benefit from them.

Then again it's probably part of the character he's selling, so the crazy has to be kicked up a notch when someone gives him airtime.
1979 California Transporter

grandfatherjim
Addicted!

Post by grandfatherjim » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:17 pm

airkooledchris wrote:.... the character he's selling ....
Even his character is being converted to money

yondermtn
Old School!

Post by yondermtn » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:58 pm

I had never heard of this Jones guy and now I've seen his name several times in the past few days. He is kind of entertaining.
1977 Westy 2.0FI
1990 Vanagon MV 2.1 Auto

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:22 pm

airkooledchris wrote:
Then again it's probably part of the character he's selling, so the crazy has to be kicked up a notch when someone gives him airtime.
=D>

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:25 am

yondermtn wrote:I had never heard of this Jones guy and now I've seen his name several times in the past few days. He is kind of entertaining.
I hadn't either. He reminded me of a pro wrestler with that crazy rambling full volume diatribe. Did he actually challenge Piers to a fight? All he needs is face paint and a cape. Is he just another form of news entertainment where the end game is money?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:14 am

RussellK wrote:
yondermtn wrote:I had never heard of this Jones guy.
I hadn't either. Did he actually challenge Piers to a fight?
Yes, he launched into this red white and blue diatribe and said Piers could wear his "Jolly Roger" garb. I don't have patience for that stuff on national TV while we are trying to answer some serious questions. I wonder how my fellow Newtowners are dealing with where the national conversation has veered, weeks after they lost their children so very senselessly . . .
Colin

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:12 pm

Alex Jones is nutz plain and simple....its amazing he has a national TV show. The problem is a lack of mental health care, not guns.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.