Werksberg '68 - '79 Bus ABS door panels:

Sell your Bay Window Bus (1968-1979) parts here.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic, vdubzen

werksberg
Old School!

Werksberg '68 - '79 Bus ABS door panels:

Post by werksberg » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:33 pm

Well, here's an early prototype photo of the '68 - '79 Bus ABS door panels with included black plastic push in pins included (or you can use the stock OEM stainless Steel pins instead):
30-425-68/79

Later this week I'll be adding to the masters the arm rests, fresh air ducts, lower vent holes and themounting holes for those options to be added....

The price will be $70 for a pair of 1/8" ABS door panels with the window crank, opener latch, arm rest and grab handle holes.

$10 extra for the fresh air duct mounting holes
$5 extra for the lower vent holes

Estimated USA UPS shipping: $20 (maybe more but until then....only $20 with boxing..IAC discount)
Facebook for new product releases and special deals: Werks Berg
http://stores.ebay.com/werksberg
Search the Samba under werksberg for our products on sale there too....but order direct on here for a special IAC shipping savings
SOS: Support Our Shops....
werksberg@sbcglobal.net

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:26 am

If you can get ahold of a real vw panel, they have the holes on the back for both the transporter and the westy arm rests. I'll try and get some picture to help explain better.

werksberg
Old School!

Post by werksberg » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:36 pm

Please do.

I already have several OEM door panels here with & w/o the air duct holes and I can see that TMI just copied the OEM panels for the "L" clips holes...which some of them are way off. Mostly at the bottom.....

I'll be doing some more testing (I made a clear plastic panel to see thru it to the holes locations..) to get my version correctly done.
Search the Samba under werksberg for our products on sale there too....but order direct on here for a special IAC shipping savings
werksberg@sbcglobal.net

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:41 am

Fronts. Brown is the VW panel, with transporter arm rest and air vents, gray is TMI, came from Manfred's Westy.

[albumimg]2677[/albumimg]

[albumimg]2676[/albumimg]

Back of the VW Panel
[albumimg]2673[/albumimg]

Note these holes on the back of the VW Panel:
[albumimg]2674[/albumimg]

Back of TMI Panel (circled in red Westy armrest holes, circled in blue, holes missing to mount Transporter arm rest and fresh air channel) :
[albumimg]2675[/albumimg]

werksberg
Old School!

Post by werksberg » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:26 pm

Well, this got me thinking and so I went out to look at the 5 or 6 old door panels I have and the only ones that use an arm rest was the ones with the fresh air ducts. The ones that did not have the air ducts does not have an arm rest.

When I went to the wrecking yard today (I needed my weekly exercise), it was the same with the 3x buses there.

Did the VW transporters without the air ducts have any arm rests? I will be able to make these to order but I would like to have the standard ones in stock.

I took some photos of the door panels, but it is now TV time.
werksberg@sbcglobal.net

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:06 am

By fresh air channel are you referring to the plastic channel that vents air to behind the front seat.

I circled in red where the Westy arm rest goes. I'll take a pic of the front of a Westy door at lunch time and post it up.

werksberg
Old School!

Post by werksberg » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:53 am

Ok, let's try a different language here.....did the std. transporter Bus had a different arm rest or they just didn't have an arm rest at all?

Transporter panel back side:

Std. Transporter panel front side:

Deluxe, Westy or camp moblie version with fresh air duct (not shown)?:

Are there 2x different arm rests or people just use the fresh air one on their std. transporter ones?

werksberg@sbcglobal.net

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:05 pm

My '73 just has the pull handle that you picture at the bottom.

My '79 passenger bus has the one in the 3rd slide from the top.

My '79 Westy has a black 'cushy' arm rest. I'll get you a picture of that tonight.

Actually, I found this on TS:

All of my buses have the sliding air vent in the bottom rear. Colin tell me that it is integral in keeping the air moving. But the TMI panels that I got from Manfred, did not have the vent or the cutout on the back for it.

werksberg
Old School!

Post by werksberg » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:24 am

"All of my buses have the sliding air vent in the bottom rear. Colin tell me that it is integral in keeping the air moving."

With all those large holes in the side of the doors...I can why the door panels get soak and destroyed! :pukeleft:

I hope to have the time next week to do the air duct, arm rest and lower vents onto the master and then offer them that way at a little more as time is money.

They are now listed at The Samba too.

I have started updating the ebay listings for my products too.
werksberg@sbcglobal.net

jeb1978
Getting Hooked!

Post by jeb1978 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:00 am

"All of my buses have the sliding air vent in the bottom rear."
I think the sliding air vent was a later model thing, maybe like 1972 or 1973 or later? My 1969 Westy doesn't have them. I'm pretty sure it has the original VW door panels, as the back of them has the holes for mounting the air duct work like what the passenger buses have.

On a different note, are the black plastic push pins available separately? I'm missing some of the chrome ones, and the black ones look pretty good. Are they difficult to remove once installed? Seems like the chrome ones take quite the effort to pop out...
1969 Westfalia 1600cc single port

werksberg
Old School!

Post by werksberg » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:13 am

Thank you for the input!

That is what I'm thinking on the lower sliding vent deal but at what year did they start? I think I got a firewall from an Oct. '71 ('72 model year) and that one had them.....but what about the other owners of Buses around that year? Can you pipe in on these?

Yes, the SS pins are the best for reusing but WW sells them for .75 each. 100x = $75 and you could have a set of my ABS panels and free pins!

I can sell you a 100x (+)of my plastic black push in pins shipped within the USA for $25 total. Flat rate envelope for fast mailing service.

The Black plastic push in pins are mostly a one shot deal, but you can (I have) pry the panel up, reach inside with a pair of tweazers or hemostats (locking roach clips) to compress the tabs and then pull the pin out....but again, the SS are better (tougher to pull out...but hold better).

JM
werksberg@sbcglobal.net

werksberg
Old School!

Post by werksberg » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:04 am

Back to the top and subject matter...

30-425-68/79V

ABS Plastic door panels with the lower vent holes
With std. fasteners $85 for a pair plus shipping

Jeez...I wonder where the water comes in...?

Add $20 for 50x (8x spares or for something else) black plastic Molly fasteners:

Or the Mollys with you to supply Metal 3/32 x 3/4" plated phillips head screws:
or with SS allen flat top screws:

Proper tool and way to remove door / any panels:

JM.... werksberg@sbcglobel.net
werksberg@sbcglobal.net

Manfred
Old School!

Post by Manfred » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:44 am

I'll be ordering these. Any chance I can get them with speaker wholes cut out and some come if reinforcement to mount them to. I'll gladly pay extra.
1978 Westy FI
hambone wrote:Some times ya gotta wing it.

werksberg
Old School!

Post by werksberg » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:57 am

You won't need to reinforce these 1/8" ABS door panels. :cheers:

I'm working on getting speaker hole templates and since I also have a clear door panel to help make the master, I'll be adding that to the optional list.

I'm also have an early Bus map door pocket that I need to make a vacuum forming mold to make formed ABS Door map pockets as an option too.
werksberg@sbcglobal.net

Manfred
Old School!

Post by Manfred » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:16 am

werksberg wrote:You won't need to reinforce these 1/8" ABS door panels. :cheers:

I'm working on getting speaker hole templates and since I also have a clear door panel to help make the master, I'll be adding that to the optional list.

I'm also have an early Bus map door pocket that I need to make a vacuum forming mold to make formed ABS Door map pockets as an option too.
Sweet! Thanks!
1978 Westy FI
hambone wrote:Some times ya gotta wing it.