Wanted: 74-79 Westy pop-top and luggage rack

Sell your Bay Window Bus (1968-1979) parts here.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic, vdubzen

Boobs n' Ham Sandwiches
I'm New!

Wanted: 74-79 Westy pop-top and luggage rack

Post by Boobs n' Ham Sandwiches » Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:49 am

One of the POs of my bus trashed the pop-top pretty good, drilled a bunch of holes in it and the luggage rack too.

I'm looking for a replacement in quality condition, the closer to Eugene, the better.

werksberg
Old School!

Post by werksberg » Wed May 14, 2008 10:26 pm

Well, since it is only fiberglass...you can easily repair it if you can't find a replacement one.

Remove the top, lay it on the ground, duct tape over the holes from the outside (act like the mold), flip top over, get some polyester (PER) lamination resin (gel coat is best for the first coat, but not at Home Depot) from a hardware store (Home Depot, go Tony!), use maybe 6 to 8 drops of catalyst (MEKP) per oz of resin (not the correct way but easy if you don't have a scale), apply it to the underside of the tape, let it B stage (start to gel), then apply another coat of resin, B stage, then lay over some fiberglass mat or cloth a couple of layers and wet it out until it goes clearish.

If you have any drips or overlapped too much, wait til it B stages and trim with a box knife...cuts like cheese.

Put it out in the sun to fully dry.

Remove tape, sand, bondo (mostly PER resin), sand and paint it!
Facebook for new product releases and special deals: Werks Berg
http://stores.ebay.com/werksberg
Search the Samba under werksberg for our products on sale there too....but order direct on here for a special IAC shipping savings
SOS: Support Our Shops....
werksberg@sbcglobal.net