Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings From Badlands SD

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings From Badlands SD

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:23 am

I left Illinois in rain and wind and got hit with buckets of rain through the night in Wisconsin. Good thing I have these new tires. Minnesota was dry and cloudy. South Dakota, finally, some sun! But 30* cooler than Illinois, too! The Black Hills are stunning this time of year. Velvet green hills with ebony black soil showing through. I missed a couple of photo shots due to the rush I am in to get 1,532 miles to Missoula, where it is going to be 47* and rainy tomorrow while we work outside!.

Sunny day turned dramatic in the evening.

This little cloud bank was roiling like it wanted to rotate.

The rains were coming.

I shot a video clip of the rains pelting the car that I can try to put up later.
The white/off-white interior is a snug little place when the weather is swirling all around.

And then the rains departed leaving a gorgeous painting all around me.

And back to driving went I, with the bugs washed off the windshield too.

Turns out those poor new tires were just dropped into VW bus hell over the past four days and 1,000 miles of gusty headwinds. The car was dancing around less because of intrinsic vehicle dynamics and more because . . . . . it was really windy!
I have a long day of driving to get to right NOW! The forum was down this morning and I am LATE. On my way to Missoula, where it is going to be 47* and rainy tomorrow while we work outside!
Colin
(p.s. now that the wind has died down (temps have dropped to 53* this morning in Wall SD), the car actually tracks pretty nicely)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

satchmo
Old School!

Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled Greetings From Badlands SD

Post by satchmo » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:44 am

Amskeptic wrote:I left Illinois in rain and wind and got hit with buckets of rain through the night in Wisconsin. Good thing I have these new tires. Minnesota was dry and cloudy. South Dakota, finally, some sun! But 30* cooler than Illinois, too! The Black Hills are stunning this time of year. Velvet green hills with ebony black soil showing through. I missed a couple of photo shots due to the rush I am in to get 1,532 miles to Missoula, where it is going to be 47* and rainy tomorrow while we work outside!.I have a long day of driving to get to right NOW! The forum was down this morning and I am LATE. On my way to Missoula, where it is going to be 47* and rainy tomorrow while we work outside!
Colin
Whiner. That's just a good days' drive and those are normal working conditions around here. In fact, it is 33 degrees and snowing heavily here at the moment.

Remember, the worst day working on the bus is still better than the best day working in the office. Somebody said that.

Tim
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:47 am

Yeah, the PNW weather has been fugly all year.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:50 am

satchmo wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:I left Illinois in rain and wind and got hit with buckets of rain through the night in Wisconsin. Good thing I have these new tires. Minnesota was dry and cloudy. South Dakota, finally, some sun! But 30* cooler than Illinois, too! The Black Hills are stunning this time of year. Velvet green hills with ebony black soil showing through. I missed a couple of photo shots due to the rush I am in to get 1,532 miles to Missoula, where it is going to be 47* and rainy tomorrow while we work outside!.I have a long day of driving to get to right NOW! The forum was down this morning and I am LATE. On my way to Missoula, where it is going to be 47* and rainy tomorrow while we work outside!
Colin
Whiner. That's just a good days' drive and those are normal working conditions around here. In fact, it is 33 degrees and snowing heavily here at the moment.

Remember, the worst day working on the bus is still better than the best day working in the office. Somebody said that.

Tim
He just doesn't like Chicago. Except for BobD's bus. I swear it doesn't like him either, because as soon as he left it cooled off and quit raining. :cheers:

pj
Addicted!

Dallas cheerleaders

Post by pj » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:30 pm

I just ordered some shorts from WWW.Dallascheerleaders.com, I hope they make it here, before our appointment. I'd like to take a picture of us in matching outfits. :)

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:07 pm

Amskeptic wrote:Missoula, where it is going to be 47* and rainy tomorrow while we work outside!
It snowed here this morning, actually. And it might snow tomorrow.
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

mattg
Old School!

Post by mattg » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:43 pm

zblair wrote:Seems strange to say this, but you do get used to it. I told someone earlier today that you just have to pace yourself and drink lots of water. And then there's A/C too. :bom:
I think you are getting brainwashed. My sister used to tell me when she lived in Arizona - yeah its hot, but its a dry heat. Personally I can handle
-10 better than 95.
I'm all out of ideas and I've tried nothing.

77 Westy 2.0 FI

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:51 pm

Nah, not brainwashed. I've lived in Texas since 1983, in Dallas, Ft. Worth and now Austin since 1992. Your body adjusts. And AZ does have dry heat. With our heat in summer we might have 75-85% humidity on some days. I am certain the AZ heat is much dryer, especially since there is more elevation there. It always feels like a dry sauna to me when I have visited there (my Dad lived in Mesa, AZ for some years).

-10? I could adjust to that too. Just wear the right clothing and eat the right foods for energy.
1974 T1 Super Beetle "Fweem"
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

"Love something? Serve it."
~Roshni Mitra

mattg
Old School!

Post by mattg » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:00 pm

zblair wrote:Nah, not brainwashed. I've lived in Texas since 1983, in Dallas, Ft. Worth and now Austin since 1992. Your body adjusts. And AZ does have dry heat. With our heat in summer we might have 75-85% humidity on some days. I am certain the AZ heat is much dryer, especially since there is more elevation there. It always feels like a dry sauna to me when I have visited there (my Dad lived in Mesa, AZ for some years).

-10? I could adjust to that too. Just wear the right clothing and eat the right foods for energy.
Yeah that makes sense. Im not sure what Im complaining about with the heat - I forgot - I work in a greenhouse. Today is pleasant outside with an air temp of around 78 - of course it is about 90 in here today. The warmest I have experienced in the greenhouse was a july day 2 years ago when temps were 110 where we were planting poinsettias and up to 128 in a glass house where the vents were closed - I just had to walk in to see how hot it was.
I'm all out of ideas and I've tried nothing.

77 Westy 2.0 FI

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:06 pm

Loving it. I hope Colin and I get Ludwig's windshield wipers going.
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:20 pm

Your weather looks great to me! :colors:
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

~Roshni Mitra

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:00 pm

Since we're showing off TV news weather graphics...

I think there's one person in the country that designs graphics for every TV station in America. All part of the corporate cookie-cutter mentality. The station in Austin from ZBlair's graphic and my station here in Seattle are both owned by the same financially-doomed media company (Belo). Say goodbye to local media ownership thanks to the corporate-puppet FCC.

I digress.

The weather's been crazy here too with snow forecasted for the Cascades. I think Mother Nature is truly pissed at us. Oh well, we certainly have it coming.

Hopefully it will get will get nicer as Colin gets closer.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

mojo
Getting Hooked!

Post by mojo » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:40 pm

zblair wrote:Not that you'd complain or anything Colin (HA!) but our temps have been 90-100*
Same here and my landlord won't be over until tomorrow to hook up the A/C. I'm a little :cussing: to say the least! Even Sassy "yells" at me when I get home.

I love the pictures!!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:06 am

Was I whining about 47* and rainy? Pshaww. . . .

it was 34* and snowing when I finally pulled off the road just before Missoula Montana at 3:30AM on the day of our appointment. Woke up at 6:15, not because my clock's alarm works anymore or anything, but because my cell phone battery was warning me that it wanted to die, so did I.

Ever see a pissed-off cat in a cage getting doused by a garden hose?
Yeah, that was me at whc03grady's house.
Called off the day at 4:30PM and he asked, "where are you going?" and I hissed through my clenched teeth, "south."

Snow. It is SUMMER. I need HEAT. My muscles were seizing up. And there was the whole whc03grady family out in the grey rain, casually punching the tarp to drain the accumulating water which fell in blobs of splashing while whc03grady was UNDER the bus adjusting valves. I would gasp like I was the one getting drenched, he would say, "no problem, I'm fine" his wife would say, " he's OK, really," and I would be stuttering nonsensically about how two days ago it it used to be "sunny" and "warm" really it was.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:13 am

WOW! That picture made me feel cold! So Maupin, OR is SOUTH??? Maybe from Montana it is. Have to look at a map. Hope that the weather warms up for you brother Colin.
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

~Roshni Mitra