Some Type 4 parts

Sell all your Type IV Engine parts here.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic, bretski

slowtwitch
I'm New!

Some Type 4 parts

Post by slowtwitch » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:19 pm

I got lucky this weekend...traded for a gas tank.

If anyone needs any parts off this 1800, let me know. It also came with a very usable 228mm clutch and preassure plate. All i want is the case.

pete

karl
Getting Hooked!

Post by karl » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:19 pm

What makes you think it is a 1800?

Sure, the 228 flywheel and clutch could have been put on from a 2.0, but the distributor and EGR set-up is mid-76 to 78 and Fed 79. Which were all 2.0L engines.

Look for the engine number on the case [NOT the one on the fan shroud].
It is between the square breather casting and the fan housing. It will more than likely GD or GE.

slowtwitch
I'm New!

Post by slowtwitch » Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:27 pm

karl wrote:What makes you think it is a 1800?
It has an EC engine code.

pete

karl
Getting Hooked!

Post by karl » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:34 am

Someone went to a lot of trouble using a 1974 VW 412
1974 VW / Porsche 914 Calif. Only, 1.8 EC engine and installing all the mid-76 to 78 2.0 bus tin and EGR on it.

Unless it is a 2.0 bus engine built using the EC case.....

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:21 pm

NICE SCORE!!

I am wondering the story behind the parts as well :scratch:

Mo info, Mo info!! :cheers:
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

slowtwitch
I'm New!

Post by slowtwitch » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:07 am

Well, the engine is completely apart. It is an 1800 (93 bore and 66 crank). I have no experience with the fuel injection systems that came with these engines. So, I'm going to leave that to the pros.

It's amazing how unwanted these engines are. So, far people have given me five type4 motors and I may have a chance to get two more this weekend.

My only interest in these engines are to convert them into upright use. I have two bugs getting the type 4 conversion. I use another one as a base to test some ideas I have, like a better linkage set up for dual carbs, or an upright FI, single throttle body setup.

I promised Westy78 pics, if he decides that he is not interested, I'll post pics of what I have.

pete

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:12 pm

I would love to get my hands on a nice solid 1700 case and setup....those are such happy engines......strong little buggers too!
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:47 pm

spiffy wrote:I would love to get my hands on a nice solid 1700 case and setup....those are such happy engines......strong little buggers too!
I second! Hear, hear!

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:17 pm

Hey, slowtwitch... I've got my eye on that oil breather now. Do you have PayPal.

BTW, the pulley and t-stat came today. I am very thankful- that was extremely generous of you. The t-stat appears to be in excellent shape, as does the bracket and cable.

Let me know about the oil breather.

Greg

slowtwitch
I'm New!

Post by slowtwitch » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:17 am

Greg,

Glad you got your parts. I'll check out the breather tonite, make sure it's in good shape.

pete

slowtwitch
I'm New!

Post by slowtwitch » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:33 am

Hey Spiffy,

The 1700 is a great engine. I'm currently rebuilding an almost stock one. It will have the domed pistons and a cam that I bought from Jake Raby's store.

I have yet another one going together, this one is a 2.0, based on an EA case. This engine is being built with fuel economy in mind. My hope is to get 35 mpg or better, in my bug. This one has all the goodies, heads done by Hoffman machine, DPR 78.4 crank, 90.5 wiseco pistons, it will even get some nice composite lifters :cheers:

It has taken me almost three years to save for parts for this engine and finally, I'm ready to mock it up =D>

pete

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:46 pm

drool..
slurp, slurp.
Excuse me. Sounds like a cool (lucky bastard) and (lucky bastard) fun project :cheers: :flower:

Raby all the way for me when my current engine goes tits up....and it WILL be housed in a 1700 case.

All I know about them is that they were kind of over engineered strength wise...gussets and such...plus they just go go go go go go go go go go :geek:

Anyone got a REAL answer for me???
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:54 pm

I agree. The T4 was designed as a 1.7 I thinking everything else was pushing it for HP. Even Raby admits this, he can't improve on the stock 1.7.

Velokid1
IAC Addict!

Post by Velokid1 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:53 pm

Thanks again, slowtwitch! Got the breather today.

karl
Getting Hooked!

Post by karl » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:45 pm

spiffy wrote:drool..
slurp, slurp.

Anyone got a REAL answer for me???
What is the question?